What Fins Do You Use & Why?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Just doing research for future purchases I will be making as things evolve...

:popcorn:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: What Fins Do You Use & Why?

Post by fmerkel »

After going through an assortment of fins I'd say the primary selective criteria is social pressure.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Turtle Fins by XS scuba. Mainly because they're adequately stiff and they were cheap used. Others I'd consider owning are Jet fins and the Hollis F1s. Whatever you get, do yourself a favor and get springstraps.
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Social pressure: Friends don't let friends silt-out dive sites with bad fins and bad finning.

Two criteria
1. Fins must be efficient at non-silting kicks
2. Diver needs to use aforementioned kicks or 1. Does no good.

Personal preference :
Scubapro Jet (original)
OMS Slipstream
Turtles
Hollis F1 (bat fin)
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Paddle style fins are popular in the PNW dive crowd, although splits are used by lots of divers as well.

Paddles are best for frog-kicking and more pin point control for underwater movement, IMO. Most tech divers use paddles because they have lots more crap to push around in the water, and paddles do this more efficiently than splits. Come to think of it, pushing crappy around in the water sounds like most cold water divers_

I used splits for a couple hundred dives, and even learned to frog kick .in them, though it certainly wasn't ideal.

I tried turtles and jets, two paddles that are used by many folks here with great delight, but they felt like heavy planks of wood on my feet, YMMV.

Then I borrowed a pair of Hollis F-1's... and OH MY GOODNESS! They were wonderful! Lighter than the other paddles, but still stiff enough to be very effective, they are hands down the best paddle style fin I've used. I know that by now the following statement is not 100% true, but for a long time everyone I knew who tried a pair ended up buying them.

You will get some good advice and ultimately it boils down to personal preference.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

What ever you do get the spring straps to go with them the best 35 dollers you will spend.hands down
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I use jet fins, but that because I'm used to them from my earlier operational days.

I grabbed mongos f1s, but out of the water they felt the same weight as my jets
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Paddle style worked best for me. I've used Jetfins, Turtles, and now Hollis F1s. Of the three, I like Hollis for the comfort and performance.
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

I have seen YMMV a few times, what does that mean lol
Tom Nic wrote:Paddle style fins are popular in the PNW dive crowd, although splits are used by lots of divers as well.

Paddles are best for frog-kicking and more pin point control for underwater movement, IMO. Most tech divers use paddles because they have lots more crappy to push around in the water, and paddles do this more efficiently than splits. Come to think of it, pushing crappy around in the water sounds like most cold water divers_

I used splits for a couple hundred dives, and even learned to frog kick .in them, though it certainly wasn't ideal.

I tried turtles and jets, two paddles that are used by many folks here with great delight, but they felt like heavy planks of wood on my feet, YMMV.

Then I borrowed a pair of Hollis F-1's... and OH MY GOODNESS! They were wonderful! Lighter than the other paddles, but still stiff enough to be very effective, they are hands down the best paddle style fin I've used. I know that by now the following statement is not 100% true, but for a long time everyone I knew who tried a pair ended up buying them.

You will get some good advice and ultimately it boils down to personal preference.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

your mileage may vary...everyone is different after all :)

I like my Jets, though my drysuit boots fit an XL...if that weren't the case I'd be looking at the Hollis F1s. Slipstreams are "lighter" I believe, and turtles are a bigger foot pocket.

In warm water I use a full foot blade fin while on a boat. I am currently not satisfied with my jets and neoprene boots for shore diving...aka Bonaire...will be getting something different before my next trip there. Jets make me way too foot heavy in warm water, but perfect here :). Hope this helps some.

Jacob

*edit for spelling...probably still bad haha
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

LMAO I am always editing for spelling and grammar haha... I think I might grab these F1's for $99 on this scuba toy site. I figure if I dont like me I can definitly get my 100 back out of them of CL real quick. Any idea what foot size a regular fits for the F1"s anyone?
mancub wrote:your mileage may vary...everyone is different after all :)

I like my Jets, though my drysuit boots fit an XL...if that weren't the case I'd be looking at the Hollis F1s. Slipstreams are "lighter" I believe, and turtles are a bigger foot pocket.

In warm water I use a full foot blade fin while on a boat. I am currently not satisfied with my jets and neoprene boots for shore diving...aka Bonaire...will be getting something different before my next trip there. Jets make me way too foot heavy in warm water, but perfect here :). Hope this helps some.

Jacob

*edit for spelling...probably still bad haha
-Confucius
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

airsix wrote:Social pressure: Friends don't let friends silt-out dive sites with bad fins and bad finning.

Two criteria
1. Fins must be efficient at non-silting kicks
2. Diver needs to use aforementioned kicks or 1. Does no good...
+1 for what Ben said.
I use Turtles w/ springstraps.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

I use the Scuba Pro Twin jets ....split fin

Why? I was told they were the best ........hindsight.........they are great for warm and cold water. BUT if I could get a " do over" I'd go with the F1's. Only way to frog kick in these is to be VERY LIMBER !! and forget backing up..... they are long and cumbersome.

For the PNW diving.....I'd go with a paddle fin.....spring straps and buy a cheap pair of split fins for tropical diving that fit a bare foot or sock. Your paddle fin MUST fit a rock boot and it will be a larger size then the split.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I started with Twin Jets, but back kicking is very inefficient in them, and it's hard to control silting.

I have had a couple different sizes of Jets; they are stiff and heavy and require a lot of leg strength to swim fast, but they make precision very easy.

I now have a pair of Dive Rite EXPs, because they fit my feet better than the Jets do, and give me more blade length for the same foot pocket size. They are fairly stiff but much lighter, and come with spring straps.

I have a pair of Deep See Pulse fins that I use in the pool, because I needed a paddle fin that was VERY light to balance my gear. I have used them in tropical water, and they work OK, but I like a stiffer fin.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
KaizerWilhelm
Avid Diver

Post by KaizerWilhelm »

Scubapro Jets! You can do all the kicks with them and, if you learn an efficient frog kick, you'll never silt anything out. I'm sure some people at the tweaks will have a spare set for you to try. :-)
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Just started reading and watching videos on that frog kick thing a few weeks ago and already working on it when I dive when I get a chance! \:D/
KaizerWilhelm wrote:Scubapro Jets! You can do all the kicks with them and, if you learn an efficient frog kick, you'll never silt anything out. I'm sure some people at the tweaks will have a spare set for you to try. :-)
-Confucius
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Love my F1's but I still keep my Twin Jet split fins for warm water and Aquarium dives.

Paddle fins vs split fins? Both are good, but I think for cold water PNW dives Jet fins or F1's work best.
F1's are vented in the pockets so you don't have to carry buckets of water or have to empty them like a Turtle fin.
I think the ones with yellow tips are nice! :supz:

I think I might try some colored tape on mine,if it will stay on and not look like crap.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

BASSMAN wrote:Love my F1's but I still keep my Twin Jet split fins for warm water and Aquarium dives.

Paddle fins vs split fins? Both are good, but I think for cold water PNW dives Jet fins or F1's work best.
F1's are vented in the pockets so you don't have to carry buckets of water or have to empty them like a Turtle fin.
I think the ones with yellow tips are nice! :supz:

I think I might try some colored tape on mine,if it will stay on and not look like crap.
drill a couple holes in the lower foot pocket silly :smt064 :boxer:
Jeff Castor
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

BASSMAN wrote: F1's are vented in the pockets so you don't have to carry buckets of water or have to empty them like a Turtle fin.
But then how do you rinse the sand off your boots when you get to the car?

Newb I have a pair of XL jets that should fit you if you can meet me at Muk to try them out. I have Turtles because my drysuit boots won't fit the jets, and the shop cut me a good deal on them when I bought the drysuit. Primarily the fins being recommended above are variations on the same theme, a stiff rubber blade fin.

+100 for spring straps.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

My own 2psi - I can't see much different between the f1 and turtles when frog kicking, helicopter turns or doing a reverse kick but when I'm trying to swim fast and using a scissor kick the f1's tend to push me into a head down position. For that reason I have a slight preference for the turtles. I haven't tried Scuba Pro Jets. To answer another question. I wear a size 12 rock boot and the f1 xxl fits well - maybe slightly big. Regarding what you've already heard about spring straps - they're a must have IMHO.
Cheers!

Ron
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Nwbrewer wrote:
BASSMAN wrote: F1's are vented in the pockets so you don't have to carry buckets of water or have to empty them like a Turtle fin.
But then how do you rinse the sand off your boots when you get to the car?
Exactly what I do! :)
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I used to dive Turtles until they were stolen and I looked for a new pair but kinda spendy. So I got me these....

Great blade fins and @ 99.00 WITH spring straps you cannot go wrong, and they have a nice sized pocket.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... E0Q8wIwAw#
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

bucknaked wrote:What ever you do get the spring straps to go with them the best 35 dollers you will spend.hands down
I definately agree with this statement. Manta spring straps are the best money you can spend on dive gear. Both my Jets and my Twin jets wear them. The only set I've broken in 8 years of use is when I closed the tail gate on them.

Paddle fins are probably the best bet for Cold water. I use Jets, but I did have a set of older super stagg's that worked great. They were more flexible and didn't tire me out as much.

If I'm going to be doing a lot of swimming and covering some distance, I prefer the twin jets. Faster kick, but easier on my leg muscles at the end of the day. These are what I use on the Sea Life when I do 4 and 5 trip days. that translates to 12 - 20 laps around the boat.

Also, if you're worried about silting out the dive site, just be sure to be in front of everyone else. Silting out a dive site first also makes navigation back to shore a lot easier...... :boxer: :calvin:
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

sitkadiver wrote: Also, if you're worried about silting out the dive site, just be sure to be in front of everyone else. Silting out a dive site first also makes navigation back to shore a lot easier...... :boxer: :calvin:
Kinda like leaving a trail of bread crumbs only different eh? :smt064
Cheers!

Ron
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

those dive rite exp fins are interesting.

The dive rite video claims 1 kick == 4 kicks with jet fins.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.