D800 in hand!

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

D800 in hand!

Post by Tangfish »

I've been shooting the same camera body for the past (almost) six years, and have been SO ready to upgrade. I never opted to upgrade to the D300s because it would have meant a new backplate for my housing (in retrospect, I should have done it). After thinking I was about 6 months away from a new Nikon body release for about 3 years, and the Thai floods delaying production, I finally received my D800 yesterday. I'm sooooo excited!

It feels absolutely amazing in the hand, and is much lighter than I expected (same volume/weight ratio as the D7000). I already have 32GB CF and SD cards going, to handle the huge, 36MP full frame RAW images. I'm definitely going to need a bigger hard drive than 2TB very soon. Can't wait to get the housing for this bad boy! :supz:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: D800 in hand!

Post by John Rawlings »

OOOOOH-AHHHHH!!!! :metal:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sweet, dude! Maybe now you can finally start taking some decent pics, instead of all that garbage you usually do. :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Joshua Smith wrote:Sweet, dude! Maybe now you can finally start taking some decent pics, instead of all that garbage you usually do. :joshsmith:
Yup. I think having a great camera will surely make all the difference, since we know it's all about the gear :neener:
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

OooooOOOooooOOOOoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

What John said.
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

Camera envy! I have been using a D300 since that came out in Sept 2007. I am still VERY happy with that camera and it takes great pictures. But I am curious about exploring full frame, integrated video, and the option of still using some DX lenses. I was considering moving to whatever the D400 turns out to be, but the D800 looks really fantastic. I think that I will wait until some D800 UW housings hit the market and then make the leap.

Dave
Dave
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Cool! Hope to see some images soon. I've been shooting with a D80 for a long time, the D800 might be just the ticket to get me to bite the bullet. At $3,000 for the body and another $1500+ for the housing, that's quite a bullet though!
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

way kewl, what housing you thinking?

I have an ikelite for my D80 with a DS161 and SB106 strobes
i flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nice-diver/

Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather, because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs!