DIN vs. Yoke

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
divernick
Aquaphile

DIN vs. Yoke

Post by divernick »

Okay, so I've got a couple PST E8-130s, which I love. When I first got them, my LDS suggested I switch my regulator to a DIN. It's a Scubapro Mk25. I've used everything as it is, with the yoke valve, for a couple years, and not had any problems. Are there any big benefits to switching to DIN? I've done some reading on other boards, and it all appears to be personal preference on who uses which valve. Any thoughts from the group mind here on the subject?

Nick
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I HAD A PROBLEM WITH O RINGS BLOWING ON MY YOKE WITH THE 130'S. TYPICAL FILLS ARE CLOSE TO 4000 PSI AND I GOT TIRED OF REPLACING THE O RING OR WORRYING ABOUT IT FAILING DURING THE DIVE. I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DIN VALVE AND IT SEEMS TO BE A MORE SECURE ATTATCHMENT ( perception)
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Dmitchell
Perma Narc'd

Post by Dmitchell »

If those tanks are all you dive why bother? You're looking at about $75 to convert a MK25 and if you have no pressing need that's not money well spent.

If you are thinking tech sometime down the road then you can convert or if you endup with some DIN tanks but I don't see any reason to just do it to do it.

Sure there the rational that a captured o-ring is more secure than a yoke o-ring but how many dives are done in comparison to the total number of failures? (posted at the same time as Cardiver so I hadn't read his post)

Dave
Dave Mitchell
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Well the DIN can easily be converted back to yoke for travel. Yoke is just yoke. DIN to yoke adapters are ~$35

I have DIN regs exclusively, its definately a more secure connection. Its esp. good for rentals since you are using your O-ring instead of an old cruddy one on a rental valve (although most rentals don't actually use DIN, a bummer).

No need to spend the $60-70 to switch right away. But long term its really a better connection for HP tanks. Esp if they are getting filled beyond 3442 psi.

Richard
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

I had to switch to DIN when I built a set of doubles. The valves are wider than the yokes would allow. Although, I've been told the OMS valve/manifold set-up, which I have, is notoriously wide. I use HP100s and Oceanic regulators. I'm glad I don't have to use the yoke adapters often (but the reasons are good when I have to, like next week - warm water). It is nice not having to deal with those o-rings.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

I've watched a jacuzzi from the shore in cove 2 as someone's yoke o-ring extruded before.

I'd say it happens often enough that switching to DIN is warranted, particularly for HP steel tanks.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I'll echo the sentiment that it's worth going DIN if the finances line up and the timing is right. I have had a few yoke o-ring failures myself, luckily 2 of them were in the pool.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I dive yoke, simply because that's what I bought when I got my gear and didn't know any better / different.

AT one point I had 3 O rings blow in a row, luckily each time it was in the process of gearing up. Found out they were CHEAP O Rings (you definitely get what you pay for!). Once they were replaced with quality O Rings I haven't had a problem.

O rings wear out, like anything else. I'd be willing to bet that most of the time when they go you have a worn ring or an inferior one to begin with. It's easy to get lazy / careless about checking them when you're gearing up. Another thing to add to your pre-dive checklist!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

DIN.
thermo.
din-to-yoke adapter.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

I bought my single tank reg in DIN, but also bought a yoke kit as I can't stand the din to yoke adapter. It's a quick switchout when going on vacation somewhere warm and wasn't much more than a din to yoke adapter.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I like DIN. It's just a better connection, period.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

You should keep your yoke reg too. I have 2 DIN and one Yoke (for travel and pony)
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Calvin wrote:You should keep your yoke reg too. I have 2 DIN and one Yoke (for travel and pony)
I'm not sure where I put the yoke parts to my regs- pretty sure I didn't throw them away, but yeah, I'll want them if I travel, sure. But I DINed up my Pony as well- oops, I mean my "stage bottle."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

With HP tanks you are going to want a DIN connection, if you switch keep your yoke parts. With the adapter that you will have to buy. That way if you travel, or rent tanks you can still use the yoke set-up..

FYI if I went on a trip and didnt bring my tanks. I would take the DIN adapter off and put my yoke set up back on. When you add the yoke to a DIN with the adapter. It sticks out farther so you usually hit it with your head when you look up.
Who run barter town?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Not to mention that most vacation type dive resorts. Usually only have Al80s, that are yoke style..
Who run barter town?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

If you are going to be switching the yoke and DIN on and off (not using an adapter) you need a torque wrench to install them correctly. I don't know the correct torque off hand and I'm sure it varies by manufacturer. A ~$35 DIN to yoke adapter is a safer and easier option. It does stick out towards your head about 1 inch more, big whoop.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

No mean to offend, just putting out my 02psi :bounce: 1 inch isnt that much. And personally dosent bother me. Just a thought on my part. I use my adapter when I borrow tanks. But I Can tell when Im not using my gear.
Who run barter town?
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

Thanks for the responses everybody. :prayer:
TCarter
Avid Diver

Post by TCarter »

Just as a data point, I had two o-rings blow in my first 30 or so dives. Switched to din at that point.

Last warm water trip I used one of those screw on din-yoke adapters. Sure got old having that first stage jammed against the back of my skull. Next time I will just have the shop change it over to yoke for the trip.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I too have DIN on all my regulators.

Another argument, in addition the VERY valid ones here regarding o-rings, for DIN is that there are less points to get caught on rope/fishing line/other misc. crap in the water. I don't know whether this is THAT big of a deal or not, but it's another reason you'll hear folks pitch DIN.

When on vacation, both my wife and I use the DIN to Yoke adapter without issue.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

One of the things I liked about the dive op we used in Cozumel (Aldora Divers) was that they had DIN valves on their tanks. Of course, the fact that those tanks were HP120's didn't suck either ... our average dive was 70 minutes ... \:D/

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Really? Oooh... might be taking a ferry there from Cancun in November. Thanks! \:D/
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounder wrote:Really? Oooh... might be taking a ferry there from Cancun in November. Thanks! \:D/
Yes, you should take the ferry to Cozumel Doug!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't know anything about Cancun diving, but since in the neighborhood, take the ferry. :supz:
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

definitely take the ferry.
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It's worth it for the tank size... and, to get back to the thread subject... THE DIN ADAPTERS!!! \:D/

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the dive operators work with the ferries to ensure they can get people on the boats for the trips... right? Anyone know if there's a ferry from Cancun? I doubt we'll have a rental car.