first pics with the new camera ...

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Hit Cove 2 with Diver_C last night ... and these are my first pictures with the new camera ... I got a Canon T2i with 60 mm macro lens and a Sea & Sea housing. I decided to start out with a macro lens because it's easier to figure out the new rig doing close-ups ... so I concentrated on seeing how close.

We'll start with a couple of bouquets ...

There were lots of lithoid crabs out last night ... more than I can ever recall seeing at Cove 2. Here's a face shot ...

Speaking of face shots ... this dude looks like Garfield ...

... and in case you're wondering what shrimp eyeballs look like ...

And finally ... no trip to Cove 2 is complete without a decorated warbonnet ...

I think I'm gonna like this new rig once I figure out where all the controls are ... and how to use them ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: first pics with the new camera ...

Post by lundysd »

Looks like you're doing just fine Bob :)

Try playing a little with the levels in lightroom -- specifically increase the highlights and lights a touch to make the image "pop" -- otherwise they look great!

Scott
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice warbonnet shot!
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Nice!!!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Gotta love Macro... Very Nice!!!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Nice shots, Bob! I so love those little, bright-colored tubeworms.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Gee Bob, I thought you were doing great before.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

oldsalt wrote:Gee Bob, I thought you were doing great before.
-Curt :rawlings:

No, no, no. All of Bob's pictures before now were just amateur junk. THESE are good pictures. It's all about the camera, you see. New, expensive cameras take good pictures. Older, less expensive cameras take BAD pictures. It has nothing to do with the skill of the photographer. :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Nice! I'm packing for departure to Kauai in the morning, but I'm gonna guess my pics won't turn out quite as nice as these one... Something about the lesser skillz. Oh wait, no, it's the CAMERA! Yeah! :angelblue:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Good pics Bob. I've had my T2i for 2 years now and just haven't bought a housing yet. I know of two people now that has the Sea & Sea housing. I might have to follow suit.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Great pics Bob. Looking forward to more.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Octoloco
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Octoloco »

Wow Bob, those are beautiful!!
Dive by Shooting!!

Kathy
JohnE
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JohnE »

Which 60mm lens do you have? Those are nice pics. Looking at getting the housing for my t2i.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The lens I took those with is the Canon EF-S 60 mm macro lens.

Housings are more expensive than the camera and lens. About the least expensive option is the Sea & Sea ... which is what I got. The housing's about $1400 without ports. Flat port's about $500, dome port's about twice that ... then you have to consider extension and gear for various types of lenses. It adds up fast. I've got about $3500 into this setup already, and that doesn't even include strobes and arms ... which I already had.

I ordered a Tokina 10-17 mm wide angle lens earlier this week ... and picked up a 4-inch Zen dome port for it yesterday. Hope to get out and start playing with wide-angle stuff in a week or so.

Got up early yesterday and went diving in the eel grass before daybreak to see what I could find. It's depressing how little life is there right now. I took a few shots, but haven't downloaded them yet.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
JohnE
Frequent Bubbler

Post by JohnE »

Great, good info, thanks. That is the same get-up I am going with.

I know about that eel grass. I've been finding new beds of it locally and nobody is home recently. Well, almost nobody. The occasional Dungeness munching on a cockle. We've had a lot of fresh water flushing through the bays lately. It comes and goes.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Grateful Diver wrote:The lens I took those with is the Canon EF-S 60 mm macro lens.

Housings are more expensive than the camera and lens. About the least expensive option is the Sea & Sea ... which is what I got. The housing's about $1400 without ports. Flat port's about $500, dome port's about twice that ... then you have to consider extension and gear for various types of lenses. It adds up fast. I've got about $3500 into this setup already, and that doesn't even include strobes and arms ... which I already had.

I ordered a Tokina 10-17 mm wide angle lens earlier this week ... and picked up a 4-inch Zen dome port for it yesterday. Hope to get out and start playing with wide-angle stuff in a week or so.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Yeah, and they wonder why I don't go SLR :nutty:
5 grand is pretty much the starting ticket price for admission. :eek: