Grandson's First Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Peter Guy
Compulsive Diver

Grandson's First Dive

Post by Peter Guy »

Almost my whole family is here on Maui to help my Dad celebrate his 95th Birthday. There are 4 generations including my two grandsons -- one of whom is 10 and has wanted to try scuba diving.

Friday was the Pool Discover Scuba Experience -- there we were in a pool with a max depth of 5 feet -- getting him exposed to blowing bubbles. After 30+ minutes he was feeling pretty comfortable and ready to go across the street into the Pacific Ocean.

Saturday he woke up early (or so his mother said) and was bouncing around their condo -- finally at 7:45 she called and begged me to get going. He came over and helped get the gear to the car and off we went to Polo Beach (my first choice of beaches is closed) where we got a good parking spot (good omen).

Lynne and I got the gear together and took his down to the beach. We went back to the car and then geared up ourselves, grabbed the camera and headed back down. OMG, there were WAVES -- at least 100 feet or more crashing onto the sand (OK, hey, we are from Seattle and the only waves we get are from the Ferries so maybe they weren't any bigger than 24 inches top to bottom -- but they looked huge). We get Matt geared up and watch as Lynne struggles through the massive surf. Matt and I look at each other and walk in.

He gets his fins on and starts floating out to join Grandma -- I'm right after him. (Note, a wonderful stranger helps Matt by carrying his fins into the water for him and gives him lots of encouragement -- Thank you Robin wherever you might be.)

We do a buddy check and swim off to where I think we might find some reef -- then we drop.

OK -- this is a DSD experience dive and the one thing Matt wants to see is a turtle -- and no, we didn't drop on one.

But we did drop on a Moray wrapped in a coral head which Matt gets to see as his almost very first underwater critter. We then wander around looking at critters, looking at shells, having him point out this, that and the other thing. The dive is going great.

We turn the dive when he hits 1500 psi and head back -- no turtles but a fair amount of critters and things for him to see. Lynne has been busy taking pictures and video -- Matt tries to match my "DIR ATP" (DIR Assume the Position -- knees bent, butt clenched, arms out and crossed!) and does a pretty good job of it.

We are back to about 14 feet and he is approaching 800 psi, the dive is about over -- and then he sees the TURTLE. He squeals, taps me and shows me the Turtle as it slowly swims around about 3 feet in front of us, and then heads off to where we've been. I'd like to say Matt just stayed right there but, truth be told, his breathing got the better of him and up he want a foot or two while he watched his beloved turtle swim by. Not even Disney would have scripted the dive with that ending.

What could I do to top that? We slowly went to the surface and then casually swam back to shore.

This really was a dive too trite for Hollywood -- and one I'll cherish the rest of my life.

[Note -- Matt's mother "invited" him to come over to our condo so that his little brother could have some peace and quiet. He has been sitting on the sofa with me while I write this -- but now he's crashed and sound asleep. Being a grandparent isn't a bad gig.]
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Re: Grandson's First Dive

Post by Joshua Smith »

Peter Guy wrote:Almost my whole family is here on Maui to help my Dad celebrate his 95th Birthday. There are 4 generations including my two grandsons -- one of whom is 10 and has wanted to try scuba diving.

Friday was the Pool Discover Scuba Experience -- there we were in a pool with a max depth of 5 feet -- getting him exposed to blowing bubbles. After 30+ minutes he was feeling pretty comfortable and ready to go across the street into the Pacific Ocean.

Saturday he woke up early (or so his mother said) and was bouncing around their condo -- finally at 7:45 she called and begged me to get going. He came over and helped get the gear to the car and off we went to Polo Beach (my first choice of beaches is closed) where we got a good parking spot (good omen).

Lynne and I got the gear together and took his down to the beach. We went back to the car and then geared up ourselves, grabbed the camera and headed back down. OMG, there were WAVES -- at least 100 feet or more crashing onto the sand (OK, hey, we are from Seattle and the only waves we get are from the Ferries so maybe they weren't any bigger than 24 inches top to bottom -- but they looked huge). We get Matt geared up and watch as Lynne struggles through the massive surf. Matt and I look at each other and walk in.

He gets his fins on and starts floating out to join Grandma -- I'm right after him. (Note, a wonderful stranger helps Matt by carrying his fins into the water for him and gives him lots of encouragement -- Thank you Robin wherever you might be.)

We do a buddy check and swim off to where I think we might find some reef -- then we drop.

OK -- this is a DSD experience dive and the one thing Matt wants to see is a turtle -- and no, we didn't drop on one.

But we did drop on a Moray wrapped in a coral head which Matt gets to see as his almost very first underwater critter. We then wander around looking at critters, looking at shells, having him point out this, that and the other thing. The dive is going great.

We turn the dive when he hits 1500 psi and head back -- no turtles but a fair amount of critters and things for him to see. Lynne has been busy taking pictures and video -- Matt tries to match my "DIR ATP" (DIR Assume the Position -- knees bent, butt clenched, arms out and crossed!) and does a pretty good job of it.

We are back to about 14 feet and he is approaching 800 psi, the dive is about over -- and then he sees the TURTLE. He squeals, taps me and shows me the Turtle as it slowly swims around about 3 feet in front of us, and then heads off to where we've been. I'd like to say Matt just stayed right there but, truth be told, his breathing got the better of him and up he want a foot or two while he watched his beloved turtle swim by. Not even Disney would have scripted the dive with that ending.

What could I do to top that? We slowly went to the surface and then casually swam back to shore.

This really was a dive too trite for Hollywood -- and one I'll cherish the rest of my life.

[Note -- Matt's mother "invited" him to come over to our condo so that his little brother could have some peace and quiet. He has been sitting on the sofa with me while I write this -- but now he's crashed and sound asleep. Being a grandparent isn't a bad gig.]
That's great! Lucky kid. Congratulations!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
spatman
I've Got Gills

Grandson's First Dive

Post by spatman »

Great write up, Peter. Glad you had the opportunity to share the joy of diving with him.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Grandson's First Dive

Post by kitsapdiver »

That is the joy of seeing true amazement, and a great story and write up.

Those are the moments in life that Re truly priceless! Congratulations!
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Peter: You and Lynn should count your blessings. The fun meter was pegged out. I'm still looking forward to SCUBA diving with my grandkids. So far we have snorkeled with the turtles at Maui and I have dived with my Godson's son - a grandson of sort. This is too cool.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

My wife and I got to watch as our youngest son got his C card. The three of us got to dive together about 15 times in Maui, now he's off to the Navy. Someday we will get to dive together again. We can't wait for grand kids.
Last edited by Linedog on Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Congratulations! That must have been a BLAST!

I very much look forward to diving with my granddaughter.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

So VERY cool! He is one fortunate kid . . .
Kelly
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Priceless memories for all involved. Critterwatcher and photographer in making. :supz:
I was twenty seven when I saw my first turtle, so he is way ahead ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Peter - what a joy to read! Thank you for sharing the story and letting us in on the magic....

Absolutely delightful! You are one blessed Grandpa!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

LIKE!
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Great report, Peter!

One my best experiences diving was certifying our nephew on Maui. It's an experience I'll never forget!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Grandson's First Dive

Post by kdupreez »

nice Peter!! That must be very rewarding to be the "cool" grandparents!

I betcha he is going to have some awesome stories for his friends at school!

this is what it's all about! nothing compares to the passion and excitement of kids. :)
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
limeyx
Aquaphile

Post by limeyx »

BDub wrote:Great report, Peter!

One my best experiences diving was certifying our nephew on Maui. It's an experience I'll never forget!
...is that a (not so)subtle hint that you're open to offers of all expenses-paid trips to Hawaii to certify people's extended families ? haha
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

limeyx wrote:

...is that a (not so)subtle hint that you're open to offers of all expenses-paid trips to Hawaii to certify people's extended families ? haha
Not so subtle hint?!?!?! I thought it was an obvious advertisement!
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

BDub wrote:
limeyx wrote:

Not so subtle hint?!?!?! I thought it was an obvious advertisement!
You're getting close to grandpa age so maybe there's hope for you somehow. :rawlings:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

So cool! Congratulations!
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Very Cool... I was 50 when I got to see my first live sea turtle... and did my first Discover Scuba dive in Kona (my only warm water dive to date)... I'm looking forward to when my granddaughter is old enough to start diving, 2 more years...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Alexitt wrote:Very Cool... I was 50 when I got to see my first live sea turtle... and did my first Discover Scuba dive in Kona (my only warm water dive to date)... I'm looking forward to when my granddaughter is old enough to start diving, 2 more years...
And I was 51 seeing my first sea turtle last week in Kaua'i. Doing a dive with a grandkid would be so much fun to show 'em something that special...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."