ID Please

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Alexitt
Submariner

ID Please

Post by Alexitt »

While diving the Possession Pt. Fingers yesterday I came across a Crab and a Star? that I've not seen before... The crab photo doesn't give much to go on because he was tucked way back in the crack and wasn't coming out for love nor money... But the star was just hanging around on the wall and looking cool...
Not much to see but the long legs and almost scaly? shell...
Not much to see but the long legs and almost scaly? shell...
I think it's a starfish but what a cool design...
I think it's a starfish but what a cool design...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: ID Please

Post by Jan K »

SCALY LITHODID (CRAB ) Placetron wosnessenski and CUSHION STAR Pteraster tesselatus
nice pics :)
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

Thanks Jan!!! I've never run across either of those before and now that I've finally dove the fingers and hope to do it more often, maybe I can get some better shots the next time out... Even though it's a bit of effort to do the site, OMG it is so worth it...
I think I may have a new favorite site... :taco:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Is a cushion star another name for a slime star? If so, I've never seen one that color...very nice!
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

eliseaboo wrote:Is a cushion star another name for a slime star? If so, I've never seen one that color...very nice!
yes
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Alexitt wrote:While diving the Possession Pt. Fingers yesterday I came across a Crab and a Star? that I've not seen before... The crab photo doesn't give much to go on because he was tucked way back in the crack and wasn't coming out for love nor money... But the star was just hanging around on the wall and looking cool...
Why would she come out for love? She's already getting it in the crack :rofl:

The third, big claw belongs to a male behind her who is hanging on.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

That's one of my favorite crabs, because of the beautiful patterns on the legs. There has been one living in the pilings just short of the Honey Bear in Cove 2 for the last few months. Unfortunately, it's very good at running around the piling so I can't get a good picture of it . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

It was a pretty amazing dive and I had a great time... So much to see and so little time to do it in... I can't wait to get back over there and do a couple more... Hopefully I'll be trying out a new (to me) camera too, my Intova doesn't do all that well with Macro so most of my close-ups are done in post-production with a bit of creative cropping...
Lots of these guys down there...
Lots of these guys down there...
-Alex-

fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I've also seen that(?) scale crab by the I-Beams at Cove 2. Cool critters.