Bat fins, yellow tip Hollis F1's

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Bat fins, yellow tip Hollis F1's

Post by Dusty2 »

cardiver wrote:Spraying the foot pockets with silicone every now and then works wonders !
I should give that a try!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Dusty2 wrote:
cardiver wrote:Spraying the foot pockets with silicone every now and then works wonders !
I should give that a try!
Walt Amidon gave me that tip when I bought my F 1's a couple of years ago........
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Dusty2 wrote:
Beefcake wrote:What's special about yellow tips? Should I go paint mine?
Lots easier for your buddy to keep track of you in bad viz? Easier to ID who your showing that cool fish too and who those fins belong to on a dive boat full of people all dressed in black, and just plain cool lookin. :supz:
If everyone buys them then how would you be able to tell which buddy was which? :smt064 :popcorn:
Jeff Castor
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I have noticed its a bitch to keep up with people using these hollis fins or those scubapro ones that alot of people use when i am diving with them as they haul ass in those fins! Plus I want to learn to frog kick and all that great stuff...
I had similar complaints when I bought mine. I did a dive at Sund rock with Tomnic and after the dive he complained about me moving to fast??? ME??? the 65 year old dude that moves like a snail??? I thought I was just toddling along at a gentle pace! :smt064

Since then most of my dive buddies have bought hollis bat fins.
Yeah, Dusty sprinting down slope at Sund is quite a sight... :)

I heard rumours of Mr. Cardiver leaving some folks in the dust when he first got his F-1's... might just be vicious rumor as I was not there.

There can be a significant difference in the thrust that you are used to when you switch fins. In the end it all evens out as you get used to the new fins.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tom Nic wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:
scubnewb wrote:I have noticed its a bitch to keep up with people using these hollis fins or those scubapro ones that alot of people use when i am diving with them as they haul ass in those fins! Plus I want to learn to frog kick and all that great stuff...
I had similar complaints when I bought mine. I did a dive at Sund rock with Tomnic and after the dive he complained about me moving to fast??? ME??? the 65 year old dude that moves like a snail??? I thought I was just toddling along at a gentle pace! :smt064

Since then most of my dive buddies have bought hollis bat fins.
Yeah, Dusty sprinting down slope at Sund is quite a sight... :)

I heard rumours of Mr. Cardiver leaving some folks in the dust when he first got his F-1's... might just be vicious rumor as I was not there.
Guilty as charged...... Just a few kicks in at Les and my buddies had left me ( or so I thought) and I ended up doing a solo dive ..........
There can be a significant difference in the thrust that you are used to when you switch fins. In the end it all evens out as you get used to the new fins.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I remember floating on the surface at Sund with Keith and Tom and looking out at six "bat fins" poking out of the water.
Would have made a nice ad shot for Hollis...........
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

So if Spatty is right, then all I need to do is get his stencil for the superman logo, and my old mares quattro fins will be as fast as the F-1s...nice! And a really money saver too.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Gdog wrote:So if Spatty is right, then all I need to do is get his stencil for the superman logo, and my old mares quattro fins will be as fast as the F-1s...nice! And a really money saver too.
haHA! Not likely! I burned the stencil after using it! No one will ever be as fast as me! Evah! Mwuhahahahahaha!!!
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

Okay for anyone interested... I ordered these and they came to my door today. I opened them up and I couldnt find a single blemish on them. They are in perfect shape and look great. on a 1 to 10 scale I give them a 10++++ for something that is on sale and supposed to be a factory blemish. If your in the market for some fins I would jump on this deal.

Dusty2 wrote:For those that have been coveting the yellow tip Hollis F-1 fins scuba toys has them on sale for a hundred bucks! A great price!
Limited sizes

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.a ... pFinsBlems
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Purdy! :taco: :taco:

Frequently blems is simply a way to sell at below map prices. :angelblue:
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

ok can you help me with the sizing. I wear a size 12 shoe a size 13 DUI rockboot will the XXL be to big They only have regular and XXL
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I wear the XL with an 11 boot.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Alaska-Herb wrote:ok can you help me with the sizing. I wear a size 12 shoe a size 13 DUI rockboot will the XXL be to big They only have regular and XXL
I think the XXL is going to fit you fine. The XLs were pretty tight on my size 13 drysuit boots, XXLs fit much better.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Alaska-Herb wrote:ok can you help me with the sizing. I wear a size 12 shoe a size 13 DUI rockboot will the XXL be to big They only have regular and XXL
I think the XXL is going to fit you fine. The XLs were pretty tight on my size 13 drysuit boots, XXLs fit much better.
+1 Go for it. You won't get a better price or a better fin.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dusty2 wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
+1 Go for it. You won't get a better price or a better fin.
+2. I have a size 11 regular shoe and the XXL is a great fit.
JayO
Avid Diver

Post by JayO »

Just gave my new F1's the maiden voyage yesterday. What a great fin.
I have size 12 DUI turbo soles and XL's fit great. Rock boots might be tight.
Don't have yellow tips, but after reading the advantages here, I'll be modifying today.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Ok, went for a pair myself. Figuring XXL, as I wear a size 11 shoe, and have the built in rubber boots on my Andys drysuit. My old Mares Quattros are about worn out. Cant wait to strap them on! :eric:
scubnewb
Compulsive Diver

Post by scubnewb »

i should write the owners of the website and ask for some commission lol...
Gdog wrote:Ok, went for a pair myself. Figuring XXL, as I wear a size 11 shoe, and have the built in rubber boots on my Andys drysuit. My old Mares Quattros are about worn out. Cant wait to strap them on! :eric:
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do."
-Confucius
dungeediver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by dungeediver »

Im pretty sure you could have tried some in the pool at underwater sports, then you wouldn't be trying to resell fins You rolled the dice with in the first place. Just an FYI they'll let you do that