led conversion for par 36 lights(Dacor 750)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sitkadiver
Submariner

led conversion for par 36 lights(Dacor 750)

Post by sitkadiver »

OK, if anyone has some new information, I would be greatly indebted.

I have been trying to find a replacement led for my Dacor UL 750. That the older dive lights with the 6v par36 bulb and a latern battery.

I want to do what this guy did:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-you ... rsion.html

My only problem is finding the led bulb. Whelen make a couple different bulbs for aircraft, but they're asking 180 - 220 bucks for the things. Way too expensive for a dive light mod.

I know some older VW's used 6volt headlamps, but I have yet to find a bright led for those that is in my price range.

The great thing about these par36 lights is that they're very plentiful. There are 2 on e-bay right now going for 5 bucks. This wouldn't be an uber-bright type of light since the battery space is limited to 8 c cells, but an 800 lumen bulb would definately out perform the old 6W and 8W bulbs. But every manufacturer I can remember from the late 70's through the erly 90's made one of these lights: Dacor, Ikelite, UK, USD etc....

Anyway, I'd love to find a cheap par 36 led for these lights, could be either 6 or 12 volts, but if anyone sees one in a catalog or online, please let us know.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Novice
Dive-aholic

Re: led conversion for par 36 lights(Dacor 750)

Post by Novice »

My .02 psi.... I would use a 50 watt halogen which will give you 900-ish lumens which is a solid output and upgrade the pack to NiMH or Li-ion cells. 12 volts at 50 watts get you around 4.1 amp draw. I cant picture what the battery compartment looks like but you could probably fit a 12V 4.5 Ah NiMH pack at get a 1 hr burn to get a two hour burn would be tricky but maybe??? with Li Ion. You could also use the 500 lumen 35 watt bulbs and get a longer run time.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Here is a link to bulb that might work if you want to do the LED thing. 500 lumens at 12 volts, 9 watts but only about a 1 amp draw. Says the bulb is water proof....

http://www.greenlightingsupply.com/Halc ... dpar36.htm
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

The lantern isn't exactly optimal for an led frankensteining. The body is made from insulating materials, meaning heat sinking leds would be an issue. You may get away with a few xpg led in there with correct spacing and lower energy than the led can handle, would take some custom work.

The led in the scubaboard link are VERY floody, wouldn't recommend for the NW.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Novice wrote:Here is a link to bulb that might work if you want to do the LED thing. 500 lumens at 12 volts, 9 watts but only about a 1 amp draw. Says the bulb is water proof....

http://www.greenlightingsupply.com/Halc ... dpar36.htm

Yikes, 70 big one for the 500 lumen bulb. That's way out of my price range for a DIY mod. Looks like I'll be holding onto my Dacor for another 20 years.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh