Kaua'i trip - Warm Water! Cool Critters! Fun!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Well, we are back from our week in Kaua'i and recovering from jet lag and facing the prospect of returning to our jobs... :-/

So now that we're home, time for the trip report and a few pictures. We stayed in the town of Lihue on the east shore. I chartered two days of boat diving with http://bubblesbelowkauai.com/ and it was well worth it. I had originally set up one day of shore diving and one day boat, so we could play around with weighting and whatnot for the warm-water gear. While in Denver the week before our trip, I got a call from Linda, the owner, to see if I would be interested in changing to a boat dive for that day instead, because they had been having lots of stormy weather and runoff was (in her words) making shore diving conditions and visibility "just awful" (when I asked what her definition of "awful" viz was, she said about 15-20 feet. When I got done laughing, I told her that wasn't so bad, but she said they wanted me to have a *better* experience than being at home, and I'd really really enjoy the boat dive a lot more...)... She assured me they had plenty of good spots available for this time of year, across the south side of the island with lots of variety and cool stuff to see.

Well, I managed to find their departure point at the Port Allen Small Boat Harbor down on the south shore of the island, met up with the crew and my fellow divers. Got our gear all sorted out with rental bits and pieces, suits, etc. Finally it was time to hit the open water and head for one of their sites. Tied the boat up to a submerged buoy, did the dive planning, dropped over the side in a backwards roll-off, and promptly lost my mask and had a fin dangling loose (not strapped on tight enough...). Got all that sorted out and dropped along the buoy line to the line anchor at about 40 ft. Yeah the visibility was amazing. Even in what they considered just average conditions, about 50 ft, I was pretty impressed... Saw my first sea turtles towards the end of the dive, and I confess I probly busted my air consumption thru the roof just from that experience. 'bout hte coolest thing I have ever seen! :metal:

Following dives had more cool new sights to see and (try to) photograph. Among the highlights were a White Leaf Scorpionfish, several species of Moray eels, and a Frogfish doing an amazing job of hiding in plain sight. There was a lot of coral, but an awful lot of bare rock too - Kaua'i at least is not big reefs because it barely makes it into the coral's temperature ranges. A lot of it seemed almost barren compared to the profusion of life everywhere around Puget Sound. But it was still pretty damn cool! :supz:

I hated to leave, but time in paradise doesn't last forever. So at least I have some good pics out the many many tries! (camera was the new replacement XZ-1, Oly housing, no additional lights just the diffuser - worked OK most of the time, the bad shots are my fault but they're improving...)

And to the fine folks at Bubbles Below - Linda, Nate, Amber, and Nick - Mahalo nui loa!

Jim
Attachments
Proof that cameras work above the water too!  A fairly typical beach here, courtesy of Pele!
Proof that cameras work above the water too! A fairly typical beach here, courtesy of Pele!
This is a Dragon Moray, our DM was excited to see him - apparently a rareish sight and quite valuable to fish collectors market so good thing to have us find one!
This is a Dragon Moray, our DM was excited to see him - apparently a rareish sight and quite valuable to fish collectors market so good thing to have us find one!
I think this was another Stout Moray color variant
I think this was another Stout Moray color variant
Duuuuuuuuuude! Hey little guy, the name's Crush...
Duuuuuuuuuude! Hey little guy, the name's Crush...
A turtle cleaning station (locals call it "Hale o'honu")
A turtle cleaning station (locals call it "Hale o'honu")
This one was a Stout Moray, I think.
This one was a Stout Moray, I think.
A trumpetfish (not sure what species, misplaced my note on him...)
A trumpetfish (not sure what species, misplaced my note on him...)
Not the best focus, but hte fish was pretty cool...
Not the best focus, but hte fish was pretty cool...
A Commerson's Frogfish - amazing camouflage!
A Commerson's Frogfish - amazing camouflage!
A "fried-egg" nudi, one of only a couple sighted amongst the reef fishes
A "fried-egg" nudi, one of only a couple sighted amongst the reef fishes
A Dwarf Moray, supposed to be somewhat of a rare sight during the day
A Dwarf Moray, supposed to be somewhat of a rare sight during the day
Turtle Numero Uno!
Turtle Numero Uno!
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Kaua'i trip - Warm Water! Cool Critters! Fun!

Post by Dusty2 »

Very cool stuff, Thanks for sharing. That frog fish is amazing! The white guy above him looks like an albino version of the silver spotted sculpin. The profile of the fins is very similar.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Cool stuff! You got to see some really cool critters for your very first Hawaii trip :) Welcome back!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, you are so lucky -- a dragon moray! I've wanted to see one of those for ages, and in all our trips to Hawaii, I never have. Great find!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

Nice stuff, looks like you got your camera working again.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

LCF is right, the dragon is a rare find. I have never seen one either. I believe the eel with the white spots is a white mouthed moray. Easier to identify if the mouth is open :-) The frog fish is way cool too!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Thanks, all!

The fella with the spots could be a whitemouth moray, or another color variant of the stout, according to our DM. Unfortunately, the other shot I was able to get doesn't clearly show the mouth enough to be certain. Looks like it might be white inside but not certain (and the focus was definitely off on that shot too). DM wasn't sure from the photos (he had not seen this particular fellow).

Seeing the dragon moray was way cool. Almost as cool as the last couple of divers down for the second dive, who got a visit from a Hawaiian Monk Seal, came by and was checking them out... I had already burned my air and came up topside, so I missed him :-(

I don't think anyone else in our group saw the trumpetfish - he was cruising along under a ledge when I saw him, kinda off to the side of our grouping. Another of those pretty cool fish...

Camera is doing fine. Housing is doing fine. As long as I behave myself and don't do anything stupid and bang it around again... :angry: Rearranged where I clip it off, also (high right chest d-ring), works better there... I do think a focus light would have been very useful, next time I try it without hte grip tray and full lights rigging I might just pop hte focus light onto the cold shoe and use it with hte onboard flash and diffuser, see how it works out.

Warm water reefs sure could become an addiction... It was an awful lotta fun, especially the unencumbered feeling of wearing so little gear and lead...

Jim
Attachments
Mo.jpg
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

[sarcasm]Jealousy rearing it's ugly head... Or maybe it's just my envy instead...[/sarcasm]

Very Cool little Bro... :supz: :supz: :supz:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Alexitt wrote:[sarcasm]Jealousy rearing it's ugly head... Or maybe it's just my envy instead...[/sarcasm]

Very Cool little Bro... :supz: :supz: :supz:
Maybe we'll just have to leave the wives here and go somewhere tropical to dive. Like in January or February. I'm just SURE they'd let us go without a word of complaint, don't ya think? :rofl:

:angelblue:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Glad to hear you liked the warmer water. The wife, my son and I went to Kona on the Big Island last year and I got to do some diving for a couple days. I loved the DM saying visibility would not be that good today, I just laughed and told her where I was from. I remembered being worried since I dive HP130's but I still got about a 1 hour dive on an AL80. I would have pictures but I packed everything and when we got to the airport the wife asked me did you bring the camera. At that moment I had that hit your hand to your head feeling cause I knew I had forgotten it at home.

As for going somewhere without the wife this is what mine said " sure just dont come back" :rofl:
Jeff Castor
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

pogiguy05 wrote:Glad to hear you liked the warmer water. The wife, my son and I went to Kona on the Big Island last year and I got to do some diving for a couple days. I loved the DM saying visibility would not be that good today, I just laughed and told her where I was from. I remembered being worried since I dive HP130's but I still got about a 1 hour dive on an AL80. I would have pictures but I packed everything and when we got to the airport the wife asked me did you bring the camera. At that moment I had that hit your hand to your head feeling cause I knew I had forgotten it at home.

As for going somewhere without the wife this is what mine said " sure just dont come back" :rofl:
Hmmm, sounds about right for mine too!

Jim
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

RoxnDox wrote:
pogiguy05 wrote:Glad to hear you liked the warmer water. The wife, my son and I went to Kona on the Big Island last year and I got to do some diving for a couple days. I loved the DM saying visibility would not be that good today, I just laughed and told her where I was from. I remembered being worried since I dive HP130's but I still got about a 1 hour dive on an AL80. I would have pictures but I packed everything and when we got to the airport the wife asked me did you bring the camera. At that moment I had that hit your hand to your head feeling cause I knew I had forgotten it at home.

Hmmm, sounds about right for mine too!

Jim
Safe to say that mine might even hunt me down... :BDub:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo