On to Next Stage

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

On to Next Stage

Post by ArcticDiver »

Well, The Surgery is over and I'm back home. Or, at least at my home away from home. In the ongoing saga we tried a little surgery last July in an attempt to avoid the major surgery. That didn't resolve the issues so it was on to the big surgery. By the way I now have a working definiition of Major vs. Minor Surgery. Major surgery is what happens to you. Minor is what happens to the other guy. This one was definitely major.

The usual starve, dehydrate routine before reporting to surgery at 0600 last Friday. After a few last minute words it was off to the surgical suite. I had picked this doc largely due to his education, my prior experience from last July, that he does the lumbar spine endoscopically. Most important, unlike the majority of medical people I know he is totally patient centered. Money comes in gobs from doing a good job; not as the central focus. Not a whole lot of those folks around. I can give the medical details, and even understand them, but they probably would bore most folks so I'll dispense with them for now. Bottom line it took 9 hours with me "asleep" for him to endoscopically rebuild the lower spine. According to my spouse he was one whipped puppy when he finished.

Then it was 5 hours in recovery before they got me to my room at 2330. Would you believe up and walking at 3 in the morning? That started a PT/OT cascade that by Sunday afternoon I just had to call to a halt. I was worn out. PT folks didn't like it but my Hospitalist and surgeon's PA did. Spent Monday sleeping and medicating. By Tuesday AM I actually felt like a human and was able to pass all the discharge tests by late evening Tuesday.

Now I'm in my home away from home and doing fine, so far as I can tell. Only time wll tell if the grafts will take, the hardware will integrate, etc. But, right now I'm on minimal pain meds and I'm walking with a walker and getting stronger.

By the way, they put me on an IFC machine. Similar to TENS but a bit different operation. Even if placebo it does seem to help.

Maybe the saga that started nearly a year ago is coming to a close. I certainly hope so. I do know that I've had the best possible chance at regaining an active life. Also, for any doubters out there, life long fitness pays off. I would not have been offered this procedure had I been less physically and mentally fit.

Onward and upward!
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: On to Next Stage

Post by Linedog »

Awesome, great to hear good news!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

On to Next Stage

Post by Zen Diver »

Nice to hear you're on the road to recovery. Best of luck for more of the same (recovery that is, not surgery!).
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Wishing you a good recovery... thanks for telling the story.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

IFC machine? Never heard of that, something to look up.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good show! keep a positive outlook and you'll be back at it before to long. Sure has changed since I had mine done!
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Jeff Pack wrote:IFC machine? Never heard of that, something to look up.
Me neither. This one is made by Zynex is pretty compact and includes TENS and NMES modes. But, my doc and the hospital staff only use the IFC mode. Theory is that the mA currents crossing the incision and graft sites stimulate graft growth, tissue healing and pain control. It is a freebie during initial use then can be purchased through insurance, etc.

Let me know what you think.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.