Crabbing

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Crabbing

Post by Nwcid »

One of the things I have seen that looks like a lot of fun while diving is catching crabs. At some point I would like to try it so that leaves me with a ton of questions.

1) When is the season?
2) How much does a license cost?
3) Where do you go?
4) How hard is it?
5) Do you need anything other then a sizer and "basket"?
6) What do you do with them when you get to shore (ie prepare them to take home)
7) Anyone want to show us the ropes?

Any other useful info?

Thanks.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
thomo
Just Settling In

Re: Crabbing

Post by thomo »

1) season - not sure, always heard Oct was the best time, Dept of fish and wildlife for your state would have the "open season"
2) in Or the shellfish license for 1 year was about $8
3) Netarts bay
4) went in Nov, had 4 divers, 2 dives...got about 12-15 red rocks.
5) had a sizer and a basket
6 ) had a crab feed / pot luck on shore ( there are picnic tables near the parking / play area ) prepped by the shore support ( thanks wives :) )
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure I would be doing this in the Seattle area. I lack shore support, she dives too. Would like to take some home.
John

Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Primary season is July to Labor Day. License is fairly cheap - less than $20 last year. You need to read the map from the Dept. of Fisheries to determine your limit and see the area designations. Lots of people crab at Muk. Cove 2 is off limits, I believe, due to contamination. Not too hard when there are lots of crabs. A crab bag and caliper is all you need, provided you know how to tell male and female apart. Some folks cook them at shore. Some clean them and then take them home. I think most people just put them in a cooler or bucket with some seawater and head home. I would be happy to show you how - you catch the red rock crabs, I take the Dungeoness.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Sweet. I am just trying to get an idea when the season is so we can plan it. Seeing if we need any extra gear.
John

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Here's a video I did a while back.
[url = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnVNsvBFnz0[/url]
If you want to do hood canal sometime, let me know.
MZ
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I know the season at Mukilteo opens in July. I don't know how long it runs.

All you need is a catch bag and a pair of calipers, and the ability to tell males from females.

Crabbing on scuba is one of the most ridiculously fun things you can possibly do underwater. It's chaotic and results in an enormous amount of silt, and flooded masks from laughing.

The best way to deal with the crabs is to have a large cooler full of salt water. Put the crabs in the cooler and take them to where you are going to cook them. Then you break them in half and boil them. It's crab like you have never tasted in your life.

Even writing this is making my mouth water.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Dungeness are the prime target in the sound. Most guys won't even touch red rocks. Those little buggers can nail you real good. Be advised though that dungies can outrun a diver with ease, I would avoid commencement bay due to pollution and watch for signs posted by the state for unsafe areas.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Be advised though that dungies can outrun a diver with ease
Not always . . .

"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

Season: Puget Sound July 1-Sept 5 monday through thursday only. Males only (narrow abdomen) in hard shell condition (meaning squeeze the legs to see if they are full of meat). San Juan Islands: July 15- Sept 30

This year they opened up a Winter season too that is based on catch report cards etc...

License: Shellfish only is 12$ at any sporting goods store or on line.

I have heard the best spot close to Seattle is the Fuel Dock at Muk. Some on the board gave me the tip of using a stick, poke them with it, they grab on and you don't have so much chasing.... THEY RUN SIDEWAYS!! Have fun :supz:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Pretty much everything you need to know is here or on the links on the left hand side of the page:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Looks like I have to plan a west side trip in July now.

Of course I would like to catch some but if I dont even catch any but have a good time it will be worth it. :burntchef:
John

oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

This is the website you need:
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/crab/
According to the brochure they send out, the best way to transport crab is in a cooler covered with a cloth soaked in saltwater. Crab respire differently when out of water. If placed in a small conatiner of water, they use up all the O2 in the water and suffocate.
-Curt :rawlings:
Happy to be alive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

oldsalt wrote:According to the brochure they send out, the best way to transport crab is in a cooler covered with a cloth soaked in saltwater. Crab respire differently when out of water. If placed in a small conatiner of water, they use up all the O2 in the water and suffocate.
That's interesting. Any idea how long they'll survive out of the water under a damp cool cloth?
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:
oldsalt wrote:According to the brochure they send out, the best way to transport crab is in a cooler covered with a cloth soaked in saltwater. Crab respire differently when out of water. If placed in a small conatiner of water, they use up all the O2 in the water and suffocate.
That's interesting. Any idea how long they'll survive out of the water under a damp cool cloth?
For a long, long time - pretty much as long as the cloth stays damp. Professional seafood shippers actually mail live crabs and lobsters wrapped in wet cloth or paper.

Crabs shouldn't be kept too long in water or, as stated, they use up all the oxygen in the water. If you do leave them in water, it's important to shake the cooler thoroughly every now and then to "re-oxygenate" the water.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

John Rawlings wrote:
spatman wrote:
For a long, long time - pretty much as long as the cloth stays damp. Professional seafood shippers actually mail live crabs and lobsters wrapped in wet cloth or paper.

Crabs shouldn't be kept too long in water or, as stated, they use up all the oxygen in the water. If you do leave them in water, it's important to shake the cooler thoroughly every now and then to "re-oxygenate" the water.

Thanks, John. Dave and I have been wondering about how to transport crabs from the OR coast back to Portland. We had considered bringing a propane burner and stockpot with us to cook them there, but now it seems that the damp cloth method will be a lot easier.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Also, another thing that makes sense if you think about it - make sure that your cloth is dampened with SALT water. Fresh water will work, but I've noticed over the years that crabs appear to be far more comfortable when salt water is used. No shocker there....
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

My one useful tip: dungies can run faster than you can swim. The best way I found to catch them is to get up above them and drop down on them. They usually go into a "butt down, claws up" defensive posture instead of running away.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Joshua Smith wrote:My one useful tip: dungies can run faster than you can swim.....
I've found the best way is to bumb a scooter. They're faster than I can swim, not faster than a cuda in 8!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote:My one useful tip: dungies can run faster than you can swim. The best way I found to catch them is to get up above them and drop down on them. They usually go into a "butt down, claws up" defensive posture instead of running away.
They also tend to run in a large circle. If you know that you can anticipate where they will wind up....

pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

I have never had much of a problem with putting them in a cooler filled with sea water. They were alive long enough for their boiling hot water jacuzzi bath. :stir: I would try putting an air stone and little pump like an aquarium to oxygenate the water for the trip home.
Jeff Castor
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

pogiguy05 wrote: I would try putting an air stone and little pump like an aquarium to oxygenate the water for the trip home.
Jeff,
You can also use Mr Heater, to keep them warm and comfortable for the ride home too.
Mulkilteo is the place for Dungies for sure! :supz:
Red Rock are much easier to catch during scuba, but the reward of a good meaty dinner, can be dissapointing.
But I actually like the sweeter flavor of a good Red Rock crab claw.
If I go this year, it will be at Mulkiteo, for sure!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

+1 on the old oil pier at Muk. Last year I went on the morning of the 4th of July and came back with four and two were an inch over legal! They were monsters!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
Cera
Submariner

Post by Cera »

In Oregon we always go in months that end in ER... OctobER, NovembER, etc. And we take a goody bag and garden rake. The little 6 inch one. And we dig them out at low tide. Washington is obviously different. I'm no help in that area.
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... THEY ARE NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING ... BUT THEY STILL BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN YOU PUSH THEM DOWN A FLIGHT OF STAIRS

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cera17
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Crabs fear Matt, I've seen them run.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.