Bare drysuit latex seals are tight

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

And I need some help cutting them down. I'm not sure I want to do this myself.

How best to proceed? Anyone wanna help me? I pay in baked goods.

PM for brownies...
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Have you tried stretching them out first? A couple days with soda cans in them usually helps.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Bare drysuit latex seals are tight

Post by WylerBear »

Bare seals shouldn't stretch. They are thick and have a memory.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

Tried stretching. No dice.

The seals are "bottleneck" style and pretty thick.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

New razor blade, and something underneath like a piece of PVC or a cone. Cut small strips until it fits. Don't be afraid, you can do it!!
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

You over-estimate my razor-fu...
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

LadyGoDiver wrote:Tried stretching. No dice.

The seals are "bottleneck" style and pretty thick.
Take it to UWS Seattle. Danny will help you with that with probably just a very nominal fee.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

...also, how fitting is my signature for that advice?
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I can help you with your seals. Don't do them with a razor blade. Either take them in so someone with experience and a VERY sharp set of scissors can cut them, or come over to my house. I use a rotary cutter like you use for fabrics. It doesn't catch and make sharp divots in the seal.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

Mine were very tight for the first 15-20 dives. Are you talking about the Neck seal? Neoprene and Latex. I didn't cut mine just folded in in more. The Latex has to go against your skin and a fold that's a few inches is best. It does develop a memory at the fold to make it easier later on. I would recommend folding it more and then cutting it later after it develops the memory. It should loosen once you hit the water. Its the surface interval and donning that was uncomfortable. And I too tried the bottles to help loosen it and it didn't work for me either. As for the wrist seals...Dry Gloves was the answer for that.

+1 on sharp scissors, gives an even straight cut. The Neoprene and Latex is thick and harder to cut straight with a razor.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Well seeing that I have had just about 3 new dry suits from Bare in the past year. (it was fit or manufacture defect) I have latex seals on both wrist and neck. Only the neck seal seems to be very snug but I have never cut them and they have relaxed after 10-20 dives and fit fine. Mine right now is a bit snug but I know it will relax eventually so I just put up with it for now. One thing for the guys do NOT shave just before diving snug latex seals will rub your neck RAW!!!

As for my wrist seals I have dry gloves and dont seem to have any problems with them and have never trimmed them.
Jeff Castor
DFessler
Avid Diver

Post by DFessler »

If you haven't already had them done, I would be happy to do them for you.. I have been wanting to experiment with this chainsaw here for a while....just kidding. Seriously I would be happy to do them for you at no charge.
David Fessler
PADI Master Instructor

"Live Life One Foot At A Time"
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

DFessler wrote:If you haven't already had them done, I would be happy to do them for you.. I have been wanting to experiment with this chainsaw here for a while....just kidding. Seriously I would be happy to do them for you at no charge.
You're being much nicer to Jeff than you werre to me, David! :smt064
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

LCF wrote:I can help you with your seals. Don't do them with a razor blade. Either take them in so someone with experience and a VERY sharp set of scissors can cut them, or come over to my house. I use a rotary cutter like you use for fabrics. It doesn't catch and make sharp divots in the seal.
Agree, sharp scissors are fine. I have never used a razor blade but wondering if this might cause the latex to bunch up or snag?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

CaptnJack wrote:
LCF wrote:I can help you with your seals. Don't do them with a razor blade. Either take them in so someone with experience and a VERY sharp set of scissors can cut them, or come over to my house. I use a rotary cutter like you use for fabrics. It doesn't catch and make sharp divots in the seal.
Agree, sharp scissors are fine. I have never used a razor blade but wondering if this might cause the latex to bunch up or snag?
If you stretch it over something (like a PVC pipe or similar) and use a brand new, sharp blade it shouldn't. Scissors are a fine option as well, I just can never get an even edge when I do it that way. Hopefully your seals have rings to make it easy to measure!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

cardiver wrote:
DFessler wrote:If you haven't already had them done, I would be happy to do them for you.. I have been wanting to experiment with this chainsaw here for a while....just kidding. Seriously I would be happy to do them for you at no charge.
You're being much nicer to Jeff than you werre to me, David! :smt064
I believe that offer is to LadyGD.
Way to go David! :highfive:
"Now I'll have to take back all of that stuff I've said before, about you!"
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
LadyGoDiver
Frequent Bubbler

Post by LadyGoDiver »

Thanks, all, for your helpful suggestions.
I scretched the neck over a tank and took after it with a fresh X-acto blade. It went okay.

The weekend did not allow for diving but I'll try again next Saturday.

Any and all hecklers/helpers are invited to stare in amazment at my l33t diving skillz (okay, I flail around but I have fun).