I know this'll bring interesting conversation (p-valve)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
sava6e
Just Settling In

Post by sava6e »

Ok so I dive dry and some reason when I dive I have to pee in which I always hold it, so my question is how many recreational divers use them? I feel like its taboo to have one and be a rec diver since your only forced to hold it for an hour or whatever
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Re: I know this'll bring interesting conversation (p-valve)

Post by fmerkel »

Put one in my last drysuit 8 years ago. Absolutely brilliant bit of kit. You can make a solid argument that they increase safety by allowing good hydration before the dive. The rare times I have had to use my backup suit I miss the option.
Older bladders and prostrates appreciate the benefit the most.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Don't have one, don't need one. But then again, I'm just 46 years old. Maybe when I reach a half century old, then I might need it. I'm always the kind of person that can hold pee. :supz: . I know, I know. Don't have bladder problems either.
I can do a first dive for over an hour, do my SI without using the bathroom, then dive again for another hour, change clothes, eat and drink beer afterwards, then only do I have a need to go to the bathroom. Okay, enough said. Too much information. The way I look at it right now, for me, it's just another thing to disinfect every now and then. Bottom line is, no personal need right now. My advise is, if you really have a need for it, cause you leak while diving, then go for it. You can have a hundred people giving you an advise on your thread, but ultimately, it's only you who can decide if you really need it.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Its not just you it happens too. It is a real medical condition.

http://www.globalbioweather.com/weather ... resis.html

More Scuba related, 4th post down, http://www.scubadiving.com/training/bas ... ls/ask-dan
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Adult Depends... :)

I'm a camel, so not me...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Majority of all dives I use one, I feel its important to stay hydrated. Whats the best way to disinfect ? I have been using 50/50 water and alcohol, although I worry about damaging the seal.
Last edited by doublesunder on Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Use one all the time, rec and tech dives. Some <1 hr, some much more. They are especially useful in winter on the boat or at sites without toilet facilities. Drink up.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I use mine nearly every dive. I'm pretty prone to immersion diuresis and if I'm appropriately hydrated diving without my plumbing is very uncomfortable.

Plenty has been written about appropriate grooming and sanitation in other threads. You'll regret not shaving enough or letting yourself get a UTI. There is a truly epic thread at TDS with way more than you ever wanted to know as well as more recent threadshere.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Alcohol won't hurt the valves, and it's not a terribly good disinfectant, so I wouldn't dilute it with water. But following an alcohol rinse with a vinegar rinse is not a bad idea at all, because the Pseudomonas bacteria that have been involved in some of the p-valve UTI cases are not very sensitive to alcohol, but don't tolerate acidic pHs well at all.

I use a p-valve for most multi-dive days, and any time I'm contemplating a dive significantly longer than an hour. I don't bother for most single-dive outings.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Dehydration is a key element in contributing factors to pre-dsispose you to potential DCS issues..

so, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate..

putting in and using a p-valve is super easy and convenient..

Here is a great article on the DUI web site about P-Valves: http://www.dui-online.com/tech_p_valves.htm

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

I recently had one installed for much of the reasons that the Capn' stated. Also I drink a lot of water (hear its good for ya) so I would find on 1+ hour dives I was rushing to get my gear off so I could sprint the the bathroom. Therefore I started to drink less before diving, and that's not good. Seemed the cotton mouth was happening more often and I decided that removing water from my diet is not good, so I needed a solution.
Well once you get the whole catheder thing figured out, and that first couple times using it and wondering if it stayed on, and if you are, in fact, pissing yourself...ha ha they are AWESOME.

Also wide bands for the win!!!
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
aadolfi
Aquaphile

Post by aadolfi »

I am getting ready to put one in my suit as well. Anybody want to make a recommendation on a brand/type. I have heard really good things about the Halcyon.

Cheers
The purpose of life should not be to journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Holy S#it!!!" What a Ride!!!
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

OxyCheq.

D
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

coulterboy wrote:Don't have one, don't need one. But then again, I'm just 46 years old. Maybe when I reach a half century old, then I might need it. I'm always the kind of person that can hold pee. :supz: . I know, I know. Don't have bladder problems either.
Nobody's getting P-valves because they're having accidents. They get p-valves because holding it is quite a distraction. You can't tell me it's not a distraction because you've not tried a P-valve yet. You can't know until you've tried it both ways. I didn't think I needed one either but friends goaded me into it. Once I started using it I was shocked at how much of my attention it freed up. Attention is your most vital resource as a diver and the more of it you can free up the more you'll enjoy diving. Now that I've tried it, I rarely dive without plumbing.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

airsix wrote:
coulterboy wrote:Don't have one, don't need one. But then again, I'm just 46 years old. Maybe when I reach a half century old, then I might need it. I'm always the kind of person that can hold pee. :supz: . I know, I know. Don't have bladder problems either.
Nobody's getting P-valves because they're having accidents. They get p-valves because holding it is quite a distraction. You can't tell me it's not a distraction because you've not tried a P-valve yet. You can't know until you've tried it both ways. I didn't think I needed one either but friends goaded me into it. Once I started using it I was shocked at how much of my attention it freed up. Attention is your most vital resource as a diver and the more of it you can free up the more you'll enjoy diving. Now that I've tried it, I rarely dive without plumbing.

Ben
Not only that, but I'm never cutting short a dive. 45min dives can much more easily go to 75min dives. You can easily add 25% to your weekend bottom time for a $1.75 catheter. Its alot of work (and time and expense) to go to some even recreational dive sites. And there's frequently no facilties and/or you have to suit up an hour+ before the dive because its pouring and you're on a boat. Stripping down and losing heat via wet undergarments just so you can pee is silly.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It all sounds good, but I can't use them. I tried everything, but the damn things pop off no matter what. (yeah, yeah, go ahead, I don't care.) I just learned to drink a lot of water before a big dive, and stop about an hour before I splash. Plus, you don't dehydrate as fast on a ccr. I wouldn't say I have a huge bladder or anything like that, and getting out of my suit to pee is usually pretty high on my list when I get out, but its not a huge issue for me, either.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Not a huge issue... heh heh... Oh the possibilities....
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Joshua Smith wrote:Plus, you don't dehydrate as fast on a ccr.
You also tend to stay a bit warmer on a ccr, cutting down the amount of peripheral vasoconstriction that often makes us need to pee so badly when diving these cold waters.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Joshua Smith wrote:It all sounds good, but I can't use them. I tried everything, but the damn things pop off no matter what.
You can make a properly sized Rochester wide-band applied to an appropriately prepped site "pop off"?

what is this I don't even :uh:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

airsix wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:It all sounds good, but I can't use them. I tried everything, but the damn things pop off no matter what.
You can make a properly sized Rochester wide-band applied to an appropriately prepped site "pop off"?

Yep. I sure can. Over and over again. I even tried supplemental duct tape. After 40 or 50 straight failures, I lost interest.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Joshua Smith wrote:
airsix wrote:

Yep. I sure can. Over and over again. I even tried supplemental duct tape. After 40 or 50 straight failures, I lost interest.
Thats insane! Getting the catheders off can be a time consuming process, and it IS a process. The single small band catheder I got with the valve was a joke, and lets just say that I thought there was going to be a lot of work to figure out how to make these work right, cause that DID NOT work right. Didnt have an accident, but only due to avoiding it.

Once I was introduced to the wide band.....WOW!!

just throwing that out there
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:
airsix wrote:

Ben
Not only that, but I'm never cutting short a dive. 45min dives can much more easily go to 75min dives. You can easily add 25% to your weekend bottom time for a $1.75 catheter. Its alot of work (and time and expense) to go to some even recreational dive sites. And there's frequently no facilties and/or you have to suit up an hour+ before the dive because its pouring and you're on a boat. Stripping down and losing heat via wet undergarments just so you can pee is silly.
I will cross that bridge when I do have the need and desire for that piece. As for now, I am enjoying my dive and never had I shortened the dive because of the need to pee. I'm glad it works for you guys, but everything works great for me as it is. Let's not focus on what I do, don't do, or what I have or don't have. You guys have what you have and it works great for you. I don't have what you have, and it also works great for me. Like I said, no need for it yet. If you have it, have at it.
Enjoy it.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote: Thats insane! Getting the catheders off can be a time consuming process, and it IS a process. The single small band catheder I got with the valve was a joke, and lets just say that I thought there was going to be a lot of work to figure out how to make these work right, cause that DID NOT work right. Didnt have an accident, but only due to avoiding it.

Once I was introduced to the wide band.....WOW!!

just throwing that out there
No kidding try using them for a week straight in the tropics and they stick more and more every day...
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Cap'n, so the hot weather makes it worse?? Now that I think about it, I guess it would. My hot weather diving was in Jamaica and the Virgin Islands so it was surfshorts, and rash shirt temperatures so lets just say there are two types of people, people who pee in their shorts and....well you get the idea...ha ha

Also I forgot my point in that post... Josh man, even the wide bands popped off? I mean..hmm how do you say...this thing couldnt "POP" off under ANY circumstances I do not think. However the one that CAME with it, that I almost had an accident with, popped off. Hence the wide band plug...whew...ok all better now.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Norris wrote:Cap'n, so the hot weather makes it worse?? Now that I think about it, I guess it would. My hot weather diving was in Jamaica and the Virgin Islands so it was surfshorts, and rash shirt temperatures so lets just say there are two types of people, people who pee in their shorts and....well you get the idea...ha ha

Also I forgot my point in that post... Josh man, even the wide bands popped off? I mean..hmm how do you say...this thing couldnt "POP" off under ANY circumstances I do not think. However the one that CAME with it, that I almost had an accident with, popped off. Hence the wide band plug...whew...ok all better now.
I am not sure. I use them in FL and MX. Air temps in the 70s and 80s, water temp is 68F and 76F respectively. I think the glue tends to stay behind the warmer it is. So the next one gets a bit more glue and so on. Can be removed with a solvent but around here I am not diving continuously to need it.