*sigh* stoopid weather

General topics about technical diving.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

*sigh* stoopid weather

Post by Joshua Smith »

It's been a bad start for me and my cronies, this year. We plan most of our deep wreck dives in the late fall or winter, for the following year. We got blown out again, this morning. That makes 3 out of 4 cancelled because of weather.

I'm usually pretty upbeat about this. I know there are no guarantees. I'm even fine if we get out on the boat, get over the wreck, and call the dive then, and still have to pay.

But we usually do better than a 25% success rate. I'm starting to get depressed about this- really wanted to dive today, but between the wind and the rain, I didn't even want to do a shore dive....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: *sigh* stoopid weather

Post by LCF »

Oh, so sorry, Josh; I know how much planning and effort goes into those big dives, even before you ever get on the boat. Hopefully, since it was a weather problem, you guys didn't have to pay for the charter, at least?

Here's hoping for the tides (literally) to turn.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Sacrifice more goats to the kettle corn gods whilst shouting out made up swearwords like "Fartnuggets!" or "Butterscotch Sandwiches!".

But seriously, this has been a bizarre weather winter and spring. Hopefully things will settle down by summer.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

LCF wrote:Oh, so sorry, Josh; I know how much planning and effort goes into those big dives, even before you ever get on the boat. Hopefully, since it was a weather problem, you guys didn't have to pay for the charter, at least?

Here's hoping for the tides (literally) to turn.
Thanks, Lynne. No, fortunately, we haven't had to "pay not to dive" much....well, ok, once, this year. And, yeah, the amount of work and planning that goes into it is depressing. All I need is one good dive to make me forget about all the wasted effort, but I'm not getting that one good dive.....

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Penopolypants wrote:Sacrifice more goats to the kettle corn gods whilst shouting out made up swearwords like "Fartnuggets!" or "Butterscotch Sandwiches!".

But seriously, this has been a bizarre weather winter and spring. Hopefully things will settle down by summer.

*MORE* goat sacrifice? Wow. I don't know. Normally, I'd agree with you, but we've really stepped up our sacrifice rates this year.....only so many hours in a day, you know? Maybe I could automate it somehow.....