Interesting Book

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Novice
Dive-aholic

Interesting Book

Post by Novice »

I just finished a pretty interesting book, "SEALAB." It details the various attempts to create deep underwater habitats. Pretty interesting stuff about the advent of saturation diving and a lot of the 1960's diving technology. The early rebreathers sound like little death machines, no alarms, no sensors egggggggg. :eek: Anyway, worth a read if you see it.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Re: Interesting Book

Post by Jeff Pack »

Novice wrote:I just finished a pretty interesting book, "SEALAB." It details the various attempts to create deep underwater habitats. Pretty interesting stuff about the advent of saturation diving and a lot of the 1960's diving technology. The early rebreathers sound like little death machines, no alarms, no sensors egggggggg. :eek: Anyway, worth a read if you see it.
Rebreathers weren't much improved in the 70's either...
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Novice wrote:I just finished a pretty interesting book, "SEALAB." It details the various attempts to create deep underwater habitats. Pretty interesting stuff about the advent of saturation diving and a lot of the 1960's diving technology. The early rebreathers sound like little death machines, no alarms, no sensors egggggggg. :eek: Anyway, worth a read if you see it.
Cool. I just saw the review in Diver Magazine. Definitely want to read this one.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

I read it- it's not too bad. There was a paragraph or two towards the end about eavesdropping on Soviet communications that sounded pretty interesting. Wish the author would have expanded that part...
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Furnari wrote:I read it- it's not too bad. There was a paragraph or two towards the end about eavesdropping on Soviet communications that sounded pretty interesting. Wish the author would have expanded that part...
You might be interested in reading "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew .
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

Thanks Jan- it's on my wish list :)
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Great thread. My to read list is getting some new members. Thanks! :partydance:
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jan K wrote:
Furnari wrote:I read it- it's not too bad. There was a paragraph or two towards the end about eavesdropping on Soviet communications that sounded pretty interesting. Wish the author would have expanded that part...
You might be interested in reading "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew .
That was a good one! Highly recommended for anyone interested in cold war submarine ops.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

I really enjoyed "Blind Man's Bluff" and was very interested in reading about the USS Halibut. What a ship that must have been to serve on.

I remember the end of 'Blind Man's Bluff' where they listed all the various colisions involving submarines. Really makes you wonder how much secret squirrel stuff was really going on. I've had the pleasure of meeting submariners on numerous occasions and they are very tight lipped about what they did and where they did it. Even the guys that served in the 50's and 60's will rarely peep a detail about what they did or their ships capabilities. Talk about loyal sailors!

You may be interested in reading a book by USN Msster Diver Robert Sheats. Dr. Sam Miller told me about his book on VSS, and I picked it up from Amazon. It's a short 92 pages and recounts his experiences as a POW after being captured on Correigidor. The Japanese were eager to get their hands on the Philipine Silver that the US dumped in the Channel and so they required the Navy Divers to dive and recover the silver pesos. It's a very interesting read. Robert Sheats was a support diver for SEALAB I and a diver for SEALAB II with astronaut Scott Carpenter.

Here's some more info:

http://navxdivingu.blogspot.com/2009/11 ... wn_10.html
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Joshua Smith wrote:...You might be interested in reading "Blind Man's Bluff" by Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew .
That was a good one! Highly recommended for anyone interested in cold war submarine ops.[/quote]

On this note...
Definately worth a talk to Ron at Hoodsport n' Dive.
Living history book.....
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!