I need some help.

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

I need some help.

Post by Linedog »

Ok so I have a little underwater point and shoot. Been using it with ok results in Hawaii but crappy results here. I knew I needed a flash, so I have been watching E-Bay and CL, and I scored not one but two sealife 960 flashes with the fiber link and all the stuff. They both fire off of my camera, now the question. Should I use one or two. I think I'm going to need diffusers for them as they are frigging bright in my living room. Help me oh wise ones.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

I need some help.

Post by cardiver »

You definitely need diffusers and two strobes are most often better than one.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

I need some help.

Post by Scubie Doo »

Agree with cardiver. However, I would shoot with one for 5-10 dives, just to get the hang of the strobes and lighting. Add the second when you start getting some nice results with one. And as Ron said, YES on the diffusers. I would hit up Penders for advice on fiber optics and strobe firing. He is great with that. I use the "strobes for dummies" approach that Ikelite provides :)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: I need some help.

Post by Dusty2 »

Using 2 with a small point and shoot I would advise turning them down all the way and if your camera allows set the F stops to the highest number you can and cover the cameras flash to kill flash back. Then practice allot! Diffusers should be readily available from several sources. You might try optical ocean sales, they will be at the show, and if they don't have them try B&H photo online.

I would advise checking out one of the photo seminars at the Dive fair tomorrow or Sunday they have several and they are free
guitarmaker
Dive-aholic

Post by guitarmaker »

FWIW -
I would add one general photo tip for shooting multiple flashes. As a rule you would have one flash set about half the power of the main flash: This gives you fill light but still some shadows and gives your photo's contrast and depth.
Cheers!

Ron
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

What camera are you using? + 1 on the diffusers and the fill flash power setting... If you can, use Manual mode, force flash and the smallest f-stop @1/250th or 1/500th sec. otherwise you may have too much flash and not be able to balance them out or dial them down far enough to keep from blowing out your shots... Apart from that Practice, Practice, Practice... And then let's see the results... Good Luck and Have fun with the new toys...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

inflex
Avid Diver

Post by inflex »

Everything is situational.

Diffusers serve two main purposes:

1 - smooth out hot spots from flash
2 - increase field of coverage of flash

For wide angle shots, you typically want diffusers to get more even lightning. For macro, you'll want to remove diffusers to better target the subject and avoid backscatter.

Blasting at full power and trying to reduce exposure through camera settings is not what you want to do. Adjust the strobe power to the minimum that is needed, and use exposure settings result in sharp pictures.