HI 5-6

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

HI 5-6

Post by Nwcid »

Headed to Seattle on Saturday to fly out to HI. It will be my first time there and I am excited. When this trip was planned last year me and the GF were not divers yet. Since then we have gotten some great help both by asking dumb questions and getting a few dives in on the west side with members here. We have put together a very decent set of gear and the basics of how to make it all work. I am super excited about it and just wanted to give thanks to all.

It looks like Monday we will just be doing some snorkeling with the boys.
Tuesday we are going to do a shore dive and get "tuned" up. Back to AL80's and warm salt water. Tuesday night we are doing a 2 tank evening Manta Ray dive.
The rest of the week we are planning to spend as much time in the water as we can along with seeing some of the other sights in between.

I will try to get some pics posted up as I get them. My only UW camera is my Gopro so doubt I will have many of those pics but tons of video. I will have my D90 so will have some good other pics.
Last edited by Nwcid on Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Re: HI 5-6

Post by oldsalt »

Go for it. You are sure to have a memorable time. Some of the dive shops rent out UW cameras if you want to picture some of your dives.
Wishing I could be there, Curt
Happy to be alive.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Lookin' forward to a trip report ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

It looks like you have a Great Trip planned. Have Fun. Looking forward to a good report.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Have fun! I sure did (and I want to go back and see more!) - and if this is your first trip like mine was, make sure you get out and see the above-water sights too :) Especially if you're going to the Big Island, go visit Madam Pele... We were on the wrong island for that, but it's on my list!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

I hear the Manta Dive is a MUST. Was told to try and get on the end of the line either first or last.

Good Luck and have fun !! bring some sunshine back !!!
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Yes I guess I missed that in the first post. We are staying in Kona.
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

We did some snorkeling with the boys this morning. It was a lot of fun. Nice an buoyant even in just your swim trunks. Nice and warm 78* water.

Here are a few pics from the Gopro, a few of the better looking ones. Not bad for a Gopro. Looking at them after I posted for some reason they are cut off on the right side, any ideas?

Later in the afternoon we did a dive with Bob's friend Billy. He is a great guy and we had lots of fun. I only took a few pics with the Gopro on that one and nothing too exciting. Getting out in the surf here sucks. The underwater surge was a very different feeling. It was a ton of fun overall though.

Going to do some more snorkeling tomorrow morning and doing the Manta dive tomorrow night.
John

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Fun to hear about it! I remember my first Hawaii trip, and how much EASIER the diving was when you could see. But we didn't really deal with the surf much :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

How fun, a night dive with the Mantarays is on my bucket list!
Have fun!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

The pics aren't actually cut off, it's just that the board crops images that are wider than a certain width. The source images are untouched.

More technically, someone set overflow: hidden on one of the elements containing the img tags. If you right-click on the images and select "view image", you'll see them as they're meant to be seen.

The alternative is to resize the images to somethimg like 800 by whatever to make them fit.

Pretty pics BTW.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Did the Manta Ray night dive last night and it was amazing. I knew it was going to be pretty cool but I had no idea how cool.

Here are a couple pics of it. Gopro does not focus fast in the dark so didnt get a lot of good pics but the video came out great.

John

oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Congratulations. I have done that dive multiple times and have yet to see a manta. Keep us informed.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

You have done the night Manta dive and never seen any? Wow. They say they have about an 85% success rate. Last night we had over 20 which they do say is about 2x as many as other nights.
John

Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

Finally got to see turtles today. Here is a good pic with my D90 and I got some good UW video with the Gopro.

Got to see some dolphins,

They even have starfish here too. It is called a Crown of Thorns. This one was a green color that did not show up well in the pic but you get the idea,

There is so much very cool stuff to see here.

At home we have been diving HP-100's and I have now made 2 dives with my new HP-130's. I am on dive #20 as of today and that counts my OW dives and some pool and training dives in pool with our local dive team. On Monday we did a dive with a local, Billy who is an instructor for a local dive shop and got 50 min out of an AL-80 with a max depth of 44'. We did 2 boat dives yesterday on the first we were the last 2/5 out of the water with a bottom time of 44 min with a max depth of 56'. Then we did the Manta dive just sitting on the bottom.

Today with Billy we got a 1:02 dive with a max depth of 71' with most being between 50'-60' with AL-80's. It was great and we are feeling way more comfortable. Billy said he felt very comfortable with our skills and control compared to many new divers. Here is where the shout out to Bob and his wonder skills work shop comes in. It was many of the things we worked on with Bob at Redondo that has made us feel this comfortable. Today we did see another group of 3 divers who were just embarrassing and I have no idea of their skill level. I dont say this to knock them but they were standing on the bottom and picking up and knocking stuff around while all their gear and hoses danged and banged stuff. I am glad we are not "those kind" of divers and were taught better.
John