Computer choice

General topics about technical diving.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Computer choice

Post by kdupreez »

CaptnJack wrote:You might want to consider "intro to tech" (which has various names depending on the agency) before buying too much stuff, especially a $1200 computer.
Agreed - If you decide to go the GUE / UTD type route and eventually not get the expensive computer, that computer's cash could fund your entry level class and some extra gear! in fact, that could get you a nose to toes type BP/Wing system!

If you ever make it out to east side for a dive, look me up, be happy to splash and share some kool-aid :partyman:

Koos
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

Is anyone diving rec depths this weekend? I'm already Rocken a halcyon cinch BP with a 40 pound donut wing. Got about 100 dives on it and love it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I am mostly trying to get my sidemount rig setup on weekends (and freshwater only at that) for the next few months. Although this coming weekend has mother's day too, so unfortunately I can't do much other than a weekday evening right now.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I will say that OLED displays rock, and I would never go back to using a gauge that didn't have one. That said, there are OLED bottom timers as well as much cheaper computers than the X1 or Predator.

I will confess . . . in as much as I know how, I am a DIR/GUE diver (with a UTD Tech cert :) ) and I don't do my staged decompression diving off a computer. However, I have found that the profiles I dive always satisfy my X1's VPM software. I let it run because it doesn't use up much real estate in the display, and in fact, I have to make a specific effort to read it; I figure if, someday, I end up alone in the water with a complete brain failure, I'll at least have something that can maybe get me out of the water uninjured.

Nobody has ever refused to dive with me based on the fact that my VPM is running . . . In fact, I'm pretty sure no one has ever NOTICED!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

json wrote:Is anyone diving rec depths this weekend? I'm already Rocken a halcyon cinch BP with a 40 pound donut wing. Got about 100 dives on it and love it.

I might be down for this weekend. I' won't know until thursday afternoon but I still have your phone number I'll give ya a text sometime thursday night, and we can go from there! I'm already in Kitsap County too, how do you feel about Lake Crescent with all the crap in the sound right now.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

kitsapdiver wrote:
json wrote:Is anyone diving rec depths this weekend? I'm already Rocken a halcyon cinch BP with a 40 pound donut wing. Got about 100 dives on it and love it.

I might be down for this weekend. I' won't know until thursday afternoon but I still have your phone number I'll give ya a text sometime thursday night, and we can go from there! I'm already in Kitsap County too, how do you feel about Lake Crescent with all the crap in the sound right now.
Sorry didn't get this until today something is up with my app on my phone. But I would be up for a lake dive sometime. Throw me a text sometime near a weekend. I'm willing to drive awhile for some good diving.

Procastination is like masterbaition,it's all good until you realize your only screwing yourself!
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

I just ordered a Shearwater, I'll give you a comparison after a few dives.
json
Aquaphile

Post by json »

doublesunder wrote:I just ordered a Shearwater, I'll give you a comparison after a few dives.
Have you dove the the new computer. Yet?