Hello from Portland

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
tamirpdx
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Hello from Portland

Post by tamirpdx »

Hi everyone,
I was glad to find this forum and very excited to dive with you.
I have over 100 dives, but all of them in warm water (my record low is about 67f). Therefore, I'm looking for tips for cold water diving. What is the best gear for first time? Where can I have my first dive (I hope we can have the first dive within 1.5 hour drive even though Seattle's dive sounds amazing). When is the best time of the year to have this first dive. Anyone willing to dive with me?
I have all the equipment except wights, an air tank and suite (my full wet suite is 5mm :-). I'll need to rent these items.

Looking forward to hear your feedback, Tamir
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Hello from Portland

Post by Dusty2 »

Right now is the worst viz of the year so it's not really a good time to start. 5mm is way to light. you'll freeze your but off. There is pretty much no place within 1.5 hrs of PDX but you will find allot of divers coming up this way so you should be able to car pool. most people here will be glad to show you around but with the viz as it stands right now it will be tough to see anything.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Hello from Portland

Post by spatman »

Welcome, Tamir! Good to see another Portlander on the forum.

Transitioning to cold water won't be too hard. There's a ton of info on this site and many people willing to offer advice and help.

Hope to see you around!
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Welcome!
Post your questions to the appropriate areas and you will get a lot of help. We're a friendly bunch so you might not even have to rent any gear (or very minimal) and there is a slew of divers that would love to show you around.
Hope to see you posting and diving soon!
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to another Oregonian! Every time I complain about some aspect of of traffic I remember. All you guys driving 3+ hours each way to dive and then I decide to quit whining. Which is a good thing. Yeah...

Welcome to the wonderful world of cold water diving!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

Hello and welcome!
There are a lot of good times and great things to see diving the cold waters in the Pacific Northwest. Have you heard of the Oregon Scuba Club yet? There are about 180 members in and around the area; we have club dives once a month ranging from the Strait of Juan de Fuca in Washington State to Netarts Bay in Oregon but the ones I like the most are in Hood Canal. Check us out on Facebook and even join the club.