Hose protectors?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Hose protectors?

Post by Linedog »

Hose protectors, love em or hate em. But do they serve a purpose?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Hose protectors?

Post by kdupreez »

they mask leaks and it makes rinsing those areas impossible and usually gathers corrosion..

My old regs who had them versus my newer regs where I took them off on day 1, has a remarkable difference in how they look where the hose protectors would have been.. (meaning less corrosion without them)
Last edited by kdupreez on Sun May 20, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Don't really do much. with or without them hoses don't fail very often at all. And when they are going bad you notice if there's no protector. I think pulling them back to rinse underneath causes more stress than the actual bending (although I have no proof of this).
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

sorry what do you mean by hose protectors i seen many things that can be called hose protectors im just want to know whick kind your are talking about
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Here you go: Scuba Hose Protectors

:tomnic:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
spatman
I've Got Gills

Hose protectors?

Post by spatman »

kdupreez wrote:Here you go: Scuba Hose Protectors

:tomnic:
Kinda like the nwdc rickroll. Lol.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Linedog wrote:Hose protectors, love em or hate em. But do they serve a purpose?

They serve the same purpose in scuba as in many other applicatons. They are actually for strain relief. The idea is that sommething in that area will prevent curling or bending too sharply causing extra wear and possibly failure. Pretty common thing on hoses, wiring, etc. Off hand I can't think of an application where the manufacturer doesn't either install strain relief, or instruct the installer to do so.

Like most everything there are pluses and minuses. Primary effects and adverse side effects. One of the side effects is that the user has to take a bit of extra effort to maintain/clean under them. I've always found it interesting that those folks who are the most adamant about eliminating even the most remotely potential failure point in their scuba kit are the most vocal about removing something designed to prevent hose failure.

But, once the item is yours it is up to you what you want to do with it. I certainly won't fight you over your decision.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
ryjoph89
Frequent Bubbler

Post by ryjoph89 »

I used hose protectors for about a year and never realized that they trap salt water and can take several days to dry out underneath. It does 'protect' the hose from strains and to much bending but hides other issues. I razor bladed them all off to find beautiful green metal fittings. :BDub: A year of soaking in salt water makes metal not so shiny.

No longer use the protectors and love keeping my hoses black & the fitting beautifully shiny.