Bottle ID Help

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Bottle ID Help

Post by Alaska-Herb »

bt2.jpg
bt2.jpg (10.07 KiB) Viewed 939 times
bt 1.jpg
bt 1.jpg (9.66 KiB) Viewed 939 times
Are there any bottle collectors out there that could help ID this bottle that was found in Sitka. The only markings are a Crown on the side and in the recessed bottle there is a Large R with a smaller d like an artist mark. The bottle is cloudy green glass even after being cleaned up. The neck has small ripples in it like imperfections during the making of it which makes me think it was hand blown I found it in our local channel where it used to be a garbage dump and steamship pier.

Any ideas out there

Thanks
Herb
Attachments
bt3.jpg
bt3.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 939 times
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Re: Bottle ID Help

Post by BASSMAN »

Nice find, Herb! :taco:
I'll do a little searching on the net, when I get a chance, later tonight, at work. Looks old and unique. Diver Dave, has Few great bottle books and about 50,000 bottles you could compare it to.

Keith.
P.S.
Trying to get up there in late July to dive w/ you guys, but not sure if it's going to work out.
Need to take Vacation time and money, to go visit my mom in Nebraska.
The diving is better in Sitka, but family has to become priority, sometimes.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thks Keith I'm a neewby at this historical research. Looking forward to you coming up
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sent a message to my dive buddy Kim. He is very up on bottles and their history. It looks to be a food bottle to me but that is about as far as I can go. I'm sure Kim will have a better idea.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thanks for the help guys. The prospect of discovering
what you find down there makes tbe search and clean up even more fun
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Hey Herb try this link
http://www.sha.org/bottle/dating.htm

It is a huge site with alot of info!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good news from my dive buddy. This is his note:

Hard to see the lip but for sure its from the 1880's. If it's an applied lip which the twists in the neck glass seem to indicate that could place it in the 1875 range. The deep indentation in the bottom makes me think late 1870's early 1880's. It a kind of modified cathedral style. A very nice find. I'm thinking I see a star like embossing just above the side panel. If that is the case it makes a good find even better. Markings on the bottom most likely are Manufactures marking and sometime can be looked up on the internet, but 2 letters make that kind of a remote possibility. Tell him to try looking up the letters with a CO after them or type in a seach for R D glass company. We used to say these were pickel bottles, but could be almost anything. I'm thinking a chutney or relish something like that. The wide mouth would be sealed by a cork with a foil wrapper and wax. Its a keeper! I would go back to that site for sure!

k
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thanks guys. This is starting to become fun. And to think I almost tossed it out because I was having trouble cleaning it up
First Dave taught me how to clean it
And Keith and dusty have got me on the path to what it is
I appreciate the way this club shares information not just on diving but everything related
Again thanks for sharing
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Alaska-Herb wrote:Thanks guys. This is starting to become fun. And to think I almost tossed it out because I was having trouble cleaning it up
First Dave taught me how to clean it
And Keith and dusty have got me on the path to what it is
I appreciate the way this club shares information not just on diving but everything related
Again thanks for sharing
And a new Bottle Hunter is born! :supz:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Welcome to the dark side! :blackblink: :blackblink: :blackblink: