1st and reg for a sling bottle...

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Any suggestions for a lower end setup, that doesnt have to breath super well, but good enough as a backup or for deco?

I need a 1st (yoke) and reg for a 30cf sling bottle.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: 1st and reg for a sling bottle...

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Any suggestions for a lower end setup, that doesnt have to breath super well, but good enough as a backup or for deco?

I need a 1st (yoke) and reg for a 30cf sling bottle.
scubapro mk2/r190. tolerates flooding, atomic blasts and still breathes.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

ive used a "rental gear quality "reg for years.a Sherwood Brute.
they always work ,there not to expensive and easy to maintain.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

what about a conshelf XIV?

camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

The truth is the reg cost is pretty insignificant. Look at the cost of parts kts to rebuild it over the years.

Never buy any regulator where the manufactuers refuse to sell parts kits to end users. Those regs will, over their lifetime, cost you far more than they're worth to keep running.

There are lots of good, cheap regs (HOG comes to mind right away) that not only don't cost a fortune, but treat their customers properly by treating them like intelligent humans, AND manage to breathe very, very well.
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Jeff Pack wrote:what about a conshelf XIV?
While I've never used one, I had a Pro diver for a while, which internally is the same. Pretty decent breather, and they have a reputation for being bomb proof.

As far as this -
Jeff Pack wrote:Any suggestions for a lower end setup, that doesnt have to breath super well, but good enough as a backup or for deco?
Is when you're all stressed out because you had to go to your backup the time when you want something that doesn't breathe all that well?
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I see a Sherwood Brut for around 70$ on Ebay, some Aqua Lung Micra's roughly 150, and around the same for a Scuba Pro Mk2/G250 combo.

Size is obviously a factor, as well as quality.

Thoughts?

mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

CaptnJack wrote:...scubapro mk2/r190. tolerates flooding, atomic blasts and still breathes.
+1 for this
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Picked up a Aqua Lung Micra Pro Se2 for a 1st, gotta wait to find a micra 2nd now... This way will all the the same as my other pony.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Jeff Pack wrote:Picked up a Aqua Lung Micra Pro Se2 for a 1st, gotta wait to find a micra 2nd now... This way will all the the same as my other pony.
why do you have 2 ponies? a left and a right?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

19cf pony, and a 30cf sling bottle.
But a L/R Pony would be a nice...

Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

speaking of that, whats a good little button pressure gauge to put on my sling bottle?

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:why do you have 2 ponies? a left and a right?
One he got for Xmas, and the other for his Sweet Sixteen. When he graduates from high school, he get a third one and will have a complete set of scuba ponies.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Jeff, take Richard's advice (I like camerone's too) and get a flood-tolerant reg. Not all are, and it's a high risk event for a slung bottle. Also, button pressure gauges perform poorly. Get a real SPG on a 6 in. hose. Check any of the many how-tos on stage rigging to see how to loop it back and tie it in a nice clean arrangement.

Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:speaking of that, whats a good little button pressure gauge to put on my sling bottle?
I had 3 button guages fail spectacularly on me in the space of 6 months, and i won't use them any more. All of them exploded in my dive locker when I was prepping gear, instead of on a dive, which is the absolute best way for anything to fail; but I'm done with the silly things.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:speaking of that, whats a good little button pressure gauge to put on my sling bottle?
I had 3 button guages fail spectacularly on me in the space of 6 months, and i won't use them any more. All of them exploded in my dive locker when I was prepping gear, instead of on a dive, which is the absolute best way for anything to fail; but I'm done with the silly things.
+1,000
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

John Rawlings wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:
+1,000
Ha! Yeah, the first one that blew up almost cost John an eye.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

airsix wrote:Jeff, take Richard's advice (I like camerone's too) and get a flood-tolerant reg. Not all are, and it's a high risk event for a slung bottle. Also, button pressure gauges perform poorly. Get a real SPG on a 6 in. hose. Check any of the many how-tos on stage rigging to see how to loop it back and tie it in a nice clean arrangement.

Ben
If at start of dive, I pressuize the system, it doesnt matter, right?

Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Jeff Pack wrote:
airsix wrote:Jeff, take Richard's advice (I like camerone's too) and get a flood-tolerant reg. Not all are, and it's a high risk event for a slung bottle. Also, button pressure gauges perform poorly. Get a real SPG on a 6 in. hose. Check any of the many how-tos on stage rigging to see how to loop it back and tie it in a nice clean arrangement.

Ben
[sarcasm]exactly. as long as there's pressure in it, there should be no problem with flooding it...then again if you bump the purge that could easily depressurize it- unless you keep the valve open...of course then you risk loosing all your deco gas. But that's why you rock the redundant ponies, right?[/sarcasm]
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Jeff Pack wrote:

Ben
And keep it pressurized, which takes a fair amount of diligence when scootering.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

spatman wrote: One he got for Xmas, and the other for his Sweet Sixteen. When he graduates from high school, he get a third one and will have a complete set of scuba ponies.
*sigh* That's what my mom said to me too. I'm still waiting for the purple one...
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

BDub wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:

Ben
And keep it pressurized, which takes a fair amount of diligence when scootering.
Wouldnt you just open the valve at start of dive like your back gas, and just leave it open? Thus always under pressure.

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Jeff Pack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:

Ben
Wouldnt you just open the valve at start of dive like your back gas, and just leave it open? Thus always under pressure.

It depends. Pretty easy to lose all your gas that way when scootering. The purge button gets depressed by the force of the water. You can add an inline shut off, but you'll still have a flooded first stage....

BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:
BDub wrote:
Jeff Pack wrote:

Ben

It depends. Pretty easy to lose all your gas that way when scootering. The purge button gets depressed by the force of the water. You can add an inline shut off, but you'll still have a flooded first stage....
+1.

Regs have a tendency to want to free flow when scootering. I've seen it happen more than once, and it can be very tough to hear.

Even if you notice it relatively quickly, by the time you let off the trigger and shut it down, you've lost a good chunk of your 19 or 30 cuft. A big reason I leave my deco/stage bottles charged, but off (and any reg I'm not breathing off of tuned all the way down).
Last edited by BDub on Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Joshua Smith wrote:

You must have one hell of a fast scooter... :)