Orcas at Orford

A place for Oregonians to plan a car-pooling road trip, find a nearby diveable mudhole, and meet new local dive buddies.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Orcas at Orford

Post by Furnari »

A whole slew of Eugene folks headed down to Port Orford for the weekend. Just after one group got out and just before my brothers and I got in, 2 adult and 2 juvenile killer whales cruised through the cove next to the marina. If you've ever did the shore dive there, they swam right through the slot where you enter and exit. They could only have done that at high tide- it looked like one of the adults was scratching itself on the rocks. This was easily the coolest thing I've seen in the ocean.

http://youtu.be/LPxcpPsPWlo
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Re: Orcas at Orford

Post by diverden »

Awesome footage! Thanks!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Orcas at Orford

Post by spatman »

Wow! Great footage and awesome experience.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Very, very cool. Thanks for posting!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

That's awesome! I've always meant to dive that spot, but my last two trips down there were family vacations without dive gear. Last time I was there, the guys coming out said there was a great white right in that little cove.
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

That's easily one of the best shore dives in Oregon, and definitely worth a trip- with or without apex predators :)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good job! Glad you caught it so we could enjoy it too. :joshsmith:
Scott G
Aquaphile

Post by Scott G »

that's really cool!!! been there lots and lots, never seen that... seen gray whales right at the end there quite often, lots of stories of whitey chasing pinnipeds there from time to time too.... Great easy dive. i usually get in there once a month. You werent part of the group the Coasties picked up at Island rock were you? that didn't sound fun.

Scott
Furnari
Aquaphile

Post by Furnari »

That wasn't any of us, fortunately. Makes you appreciate the Coast Guard, that's for sure. We'd love to get our boat out there but we don't have lift eyes- we'll have to see if they can still cradle / sling boats off the crane. We drug ours down for the weekend, and tried getting out at both Brookings and Charleston without any luck.