Need al 80's

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Need al 80's

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:Back to my original point about a sling. Keep your stock 120, rig up an 80 or 72 as a sling. Carry sling bottle to water, then go back gear up (minus pony) head for water, clip on stage and off you go. No muss, no fuss, no new rig, and you have 200 cu ft of gas to do your 90-100 minute dive with. Plus now you don't have the weight of your pony, and you can extend your dive time close to double your normal dive so one less trip on the back and knees.

Simple, easy, relatively cheap, and very workable, and accomplishes exactly what you are looking for. All the info for rigging a stage is readily available, and you already dive a BP&W.
uh,,,, Mr. prosecutor, There are large holes in that theory. Yes I would have enough gas to extend my dive and I would lose the weight of the pony But that doesn't significantly reduce the load I have to carry on my back up or down the hill and into the water. I would still be carrying about 140lbs on bum knees and an iffy ankle and one wrong step and I'm down for the count. If I fall carrying just my weights and BP/W I can get back up and keep on going. If I fall with that 120 on my back and all those weights the only way I can make it back up IF I haven't broken something is to roll over on my back like a turtle, shed everything, get back up and regroup. Trust me I've been there already and it's not a good feeling.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Ouch!
I think Tom-nic should just carry Dusty's rig to the water for him. :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dusty2 wrote:
defied wrote:You could go with the stock back mount instead of re-inventing the wheel... Coff..

:smt064

D
I am going with my standard BP/W setup with a Dive Rite tech butt plate which bolts on nicely. According to those that should not be mentioned the simple fix is to simply attach 5 lb weights to the lower end of the tanks and since I have the BP still there it shouldn't be that hard to find other mounting points.

SCR? Cheap? you gots to be kidding! :eek:
If you're using 72's or 80's, you don't need the buttplate. Just add another set of D-rings about 4-5in fwd of your hip D-rings. Clip to the back ones while the tanks are negative, clip to the front ones when they get floaty.

Yes, you can put 5lbs on each cam band on the tanks, but no matter how you slice it, 2xal80's require you to carry around 8-9lbs of lead that 72's do not require.....

Dusty, PM Mortuus, I think he still has his 72's that were recently vip'ed/hydroed and are the 3/4" neck. Last I talked to him he's still looking to sell them. I would have bought them, but I picked up a different set on CL.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:uh,,,, Mr. prosecutor, There are large holes in that theory.
Uhm... no doubt. Seems that happens a lot when I open my mouth - my apologies, if they are required.

And please - no "Mr. Prosecutor". "Mr. Gum-flapper" is much more accurate. :penelope:

Sidemount is awesome - I think it is a great way to go, and I'm sure will be perfect.

And I owe you several trips to the shore carrying your bottles. It will be more than worth it to get to dive with you again in your home waters.

Carry on!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Tom Nic wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:uh,,,, Mr. prosecutor, There are large holes in that theory.
Uhm... no doubt. Seems that happens a lot when I open my mouth - my apologies, if they are required.

And please - no "Mr. Prosecutor". "Mr. Gum-flapper" is much more accurate. :penelope:

Sidemount is awesome - I think it is a great way to go, and I'm sure will be perfect.

And I owe you several trips to the shore carrying your bottles. It will be more than worth it to get to dive with you again in your home waters.

Carry on!
No apologies required.

I think Mr. Gum Flapper would be a violation rule #1. LOL

I think your fudging a bit. Several trips to the water at my home site wouldn't amount to much. :rofl:

Speaking of which, I plan to be in my home waters from July 11 to 17th and Thursday the 12th looks pretty awesome!

Are you listening Kieth????? :smt064 :smt064 :smt064

And PS for any who are listening the next few days will be very good at Point Hudson but I can't make it this week. :crybaby:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Dusty2 wrote:I think Mr. Gum Flapper would be a violation rule #1. LOL
Oh, you have NO idea... More violation of rule #1 occurs under the auspices of "Gum Flapping" than any other way. But hey, since I get to put up with / police more than my share of gum-flapping as a mod I should get an occasional pass, no? :police: :tomatoe:
Dusty2 wrote:Speaking of which, I plan to be in my home waters from July 11 to 17th and Thursday the 12th looks pretty awesome!
Oh, and I am SO in... I will be in touch as it gets closer, but that is already on my calendar and I should be able to swing a day or three of diving up there. Looking forward to it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

So to get back to the subject!

What I really want is a pair of HP 100's but unless someone is up for a trade for a nice new canister dive light and maybe a few bucks tossed in I will have to settle for less. twin 80's would work. They are nice and compact and pretty easy to handle and would trim out pretty good.
Beefcake
Aquaphile

Post by Beefcake »

I don't know if you ever get down to the Oregon coast, but the owner of Doug's Diving in Garibaldi (Tillamook Bay) is selling off a bunch of AL80's for $50 each. I don't know anything about them, just saw that he had his commercial work boat and a bunch of 80's for sale on CL.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

OK everyone, No ALuminum 80's, and no 72's either. :smt064

I found a set of HP steel 80's at a reasonable price. Damn they look tiny! They had been stored awhile in the guys garage but were full of nitrox so they have a bit of rust on the outside but I drained them and the insides look good. They are the 7/8" thread but I found some brand new OMS manifold valves L/R with caps for 30 bucks a peace so no more goofy Sherwood slant valves and all should be good for a nicely balanced rig.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm really looking forward to trying this rig out and figuring out all the things that will change.

One question, Being a drysuit diver how do you do your inflater hoses? One on each tank?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Need al 80's

Post by spatman »

Dusty2 wrote: One question, Being a drysuit diver how do you do your inflater hoses? One on each tank?
Yep. I run my wing inflator from the left tank and suit from the right.

You want them separate in case of a first stage or tank failure. Redundant inflation and all that.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

That was what I figured Thanks
finnegankp
Dive-aholic

Post by finnegankp »

I'm looking to trade up from some AL80's to some HP 100s or 119's. Any chance of a trade + cash?
To dive? Or not to dive?... the latter is irrelevant! Get in the water!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sell tanks steel tanks????? are you qwazy :eek:
We NWdive clubers don't sell steel tanks, We horde them! :grouphug:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

a couple of steel 72's on CL for a steal.. if you are still looking for some..

$50 a piece (or best offer)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/3130977665.html
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

kdupreez wrote:a couple of steel 72's on CL for a steal.. if you are still looking for some..

$50 a piece (or best offer)

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/3130977665.html
Thanks but I got a set of HP80's and my spending day are done for a long while.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Tom Nic wrote:
Dusty2 wrote:I dive 120's now and I'm always wishing I had a bit more time....
Greed kills... :smt064

Come on, Rich, just do another dive! It's not that complicated.... :neener:

More gas = more weight, anyway you slice it, which means more pressure on the ol' bod.... :rawlings:

Smaller tanks + dive more = all good! :joshsmith:

I'll do extra dives with ya! We can help each other to water in our walkers and beat all those svelte whippersnapper divers with our canes! :rawlings: :pirate:
I can come along and cover our backs with my cane!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com