A study in motion -- Hermissenda nudibranchs in eelgrass

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

A study in motion -- Hermissenda nudibranchs in eelgrass

Post by lundysd »

Last weekend Bob Bailey and I hit up Edmonds Underwater Park for some shallow water photo practice. While the visibility sucked (5' or less), we were nevertheless greeted with an excellent array of subjects to shoot. I was particularly interested in working with the large numbers of Hermissenda crassicornis nudibranchs in the eelgrass -- these are probably my favorite nudibranchs, and the eelgrass substrate makes for some excellent negative space and background. I shot 90% of my photos of the day on various specimens of this nudibranch, and what emerged was a lesson for me in motion and dynamic movement underwater. There was a slight surge, which combined with the fluidity of the eelgrass and the nudibranchs made for challenging but rewarding photo opportunities. It really goes to show that focusing on a single theme/idea/subject for an entire dive can be an excellent strategy for obtaining unique or interesting shots.

Here are just a few examples, but there's an entire set of almost 20 images at...

http://www.raptureofthedeep.net/motion/slideshow

BTW if you do visit the entire gallery, I'd love to know what your favorite image is -- I just can't decide!

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: A study in motion -- Hermissenda nudibranchs in eelgrass

Post by Tom Nic »

Gorgeous!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Two thumbs up on all of them but #2 is awesome
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Great shots! I agree, no matter how many shots I take of Hermissendas, I can never resist *just one more*...
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I think #10 is my favorite. I like the immediacy of the highly cropped image, and the sense of motion with the animal questing off the grass blade.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
vlad
Aquaphile

Post by vlad »

Agree with Lynne, #10 is the most striking. Filling the frame with this colorful nudi is quite effective.
All other pictures are quite good too, very nice set! Thanks for sharing!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

... and now a progress report from the student. These aren't a patch on yours, Scott ... but today I got to put in practice some of the things you showed me on Sunday ... these are my hermissenda crassicornis pics from earlier today ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ldevore
Compulsive Diver

Post by ldevore »

Love the photo's from both of you!!!
:supz:
Scott - I like #9 the best. Something about the way that blade of eelgrass is bending around puts so much perspective on the subject.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Nice work Bob! I think I like the first one best -- good depth of field and spot on focus.

Let's go out and dive again together soon!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I like the first one the best, too . . . it has the most sense of motion.

For anybody reading this . . . taking a class from Scott is a ton of fun, and gives you an enormous number of ideas to work with!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

The class was definitely worthwhile ... for anyone seeking to improve their photography skills, I highly recommend it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/