Insanity at Mukilteo this morning!

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Never seen the parking lots so jammed with divers! Must have been 50+ divers all entering around 7:00.

Viz was craptastic and on the way down to the geodome I've never seen so many dead and dismembered crab. Many were quite small too.

Sad to see, but the crabbing at the oil dock was excellent. A lot of divers were limiting from what I could tell.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Insanity at Mukilteo this morning!

Post by Nwbrewer »

Those were molted crabs, not discarded carcases, they've been there since last week. Glad you had a good dive! I try to avoid opening day...
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Nwbrewer wrote:Those were molted crabs,
And it has always been against the regs to take soft shelled crab.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I caught my limit within 10 minutes of dropping, although with viz that bad, it felt like I had the place all to myself.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

fnerg wrote:I caught my limit within 10 minutes of dropping, although with viz that bad, it felt like I had the place all to myself.
That's because you couldn't see anyone else from all the silt clouds... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But it was a pretty fun way to start the day and we won't mention whose wife had to bring his License down, cause one of my party had to run home and get his drysuit... :BDub:
Gotta love it!!!
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Alexitt wrote:
fnerg wrote:I caught my limit within 10 minutes of dropping, although with viz that bad, it felt like I had the place all to myself.
That's because you couldn't see anyone else from all the silt clouds... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
But it was a pretty fun way to start the day and we won't mention whose wife had to bring his License down, cause one of my party had to run home and get his drysuit... :BDub:
Gotta love it!!!
She said she was awake anyway... :)
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

I saw divers with goody bags gearing up from vehicles with Idaho and California plates. We are attracting them from all over. Cars were coming down dropping off a pile of gear and parking a half mile away. I counted over 200 boats in the bay. Good luck crabs!
Happy to be alive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Attracting them from California? You'd think they'd just stop in Oregon where you can crab year round.
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

There were an awful lot of Freedivers out today as well... Seems everybody and their brother was out today... Still I didn't have to park any further away than I would on any nice weekend and I got to eat some tasty crab for lunch... :burntchef: :burntchef:

Had to chase a few boats away from the bouy and hope they hadn't dropped a pot on some diver by the dome... :angry:
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

spatman wrote:Attracting them from California? You'd think they'd just stop in Oregon where you can crab year round.
Don't forget that there are military facilities within an easy drive, with people from all over keeping their license plates... Those Ida-Fornians might be "local" divers by now!

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I have not dove for crabs in the past couple of years. I think I should buy my Shellfish license and hit the Muck for Dungies and Sunnyside Beach for some Red Rock crabs! :supz: :burntchef:
Hmmm, Maybe on a Thursday? :dontknow:

Keith.
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I'd join you for a Thursday crab dive in Mukilteo