Dive rite dual rec wing - too much for a singles setup?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Hey all,

Have a chance to pickup a BC with a dive rite dual rec wing, on a transpac II Harness, and an apex ATX 50 2nd stage all for 150$.

I know the dual redundancy wing this is overkill, but for the price, it seems like a good deal. Any thoughts? this will be my first personal BC, thoughts were that i might be able to sell the harness and change out to a basic steel BP and hog harness and hopefully come close to making some money back to put toward the other gear I need. But don't want to make a purchase thats "a good deal" if its not the "right" deal for what i need.

thanks,

matt
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive rite dual rec wing - too much for a singles setup?

Post by CaptnJack »

The reason its so cheap is the dual rec wing is GIANT and essentially valueless. Its a major taco wrapping up and around a single tank. And you have 2 inflators making a mess of everything. The 2nd stage is worth $50 if its in good condition. If you want a BP/W I would look for the right sized wing for sure.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

haha okay - so maybe i should wait then and find the right thing...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes. The biggest problem with buying something like this is that it's going to be difficult to use, and dealing with air-trapping and confusing systems is at best a hassle, and at worst, a safety issue, depending on how much diving experience you have and how good you are at adapting to suboptimal equipment.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

that's all i need to hear - that's the last thing i want - hassle and or complexity that could cause uneeded risk.

there's a few other deals out there for around the same price i'm sure of it - just gotta find em!

Next question: thougthts on the dive rec rec wing? was lookin' at this deal:
http://www.cavediver.net/forum/showthre ... post194850

thought being to try out the transpac, if not sell it, use the wing on the steel plate. Again - just not familiar with wings and sizes and what is too big for what i need here. plan on diving single tanks for a while, probably steel 119.

thanks!
Last edited by thefeve on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Where are you looking mostly? For SS plates and a single wing in the 30-40lb range I would be on CL, here, dive matrix and TDS. Maybe cave divers forum too.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1

For single tank diving up to 130's, I recommend looking at a donut style wing of 35-40lb.

I had a transpac, then a transplate, then a comfort harness, then finally a one piece webbing..

I also had a dual bladder wing , then a single diverite rec wing and finally a 40lb donut style wing..

If I had these kinds of recommendations and would not have bought the same equipment three times over to eventually get to the most streamlined and comfortable set of gear i have now.

hit me up on PM and I can meet you for a dive and you can try a BP/Wing single tank setup and see if its for you.

K
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

okay, sounds good -

one more to throw at yah from a newby. In a discussion with another diver, he mentioned the issue of me diving with a wetsuit and not having redundant bouyancy. If i plan on diving a wetsuit for a while before getting into a drysuit, does it make sense then to consider a dual rec wing? the thought of having a failed BC with all that weight at that bottom is a bit daunting.

Again - i'm new to NW diving, just want to make sure I get the right stuff and understand the need for what i have.

also, i've used a bp/w setup for my last 4 dives here on loan from a buddy. Worked well, but still needs some work on getting it adjusted to fit me as it felt like it was floppin' around quite a bit. I was also a bit overweighted on my last 2 dives, so there were a few things i still need to workout. I like the simplicity of the webbing, but there is also part of me that would like to try the transpac/plate just too see what the difference is like..

thanks for all the input!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Redundant buoyancy is something you need if you're diving doubles ... basically when you're not using any ditchable weight.

For singles, recreational diving, it's not a concern.

If the BP/W you were using was flopping around on you, that's an indication that it's a poor choice of wing for the setup ... basically, it's an example of what you'd experience with that setup you were initially asking about. A wing chosen properly for the application you'll be using it for won't flop around.

Dunno where you live, but if you're in the south side of Seattle and want to try a good recreational backplate/wing setup, drop me a PM. I have a few different ones .. including a TransPlate ... and will be happy to show you the differences, and let you try one on a dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

thefeve wrote:okay, sounds good -

one more to throw at yah from a newby. In a discussion with another diver, he mentioned the issue of me diving with a wetsuit and not having redundant bouyancy. If i plan on diving a wetsuit for a while before getting into a drysuit, does it make sense then to consider a dual rec wing? the thought of having a failed BC with all that weight at that bottom is a bit daunting.

Again - i'm new to NW diving, just want to make sure I get the right stuff and understand the need for what i have.

also, i've used a bp/w setup for my last 4 dives here on loan from a buddy. Worked well, but still needs some work on getting it adjusted to fit me as it felt like it was floppin' around quite a bit. I was also a bit overweighted on my last 2 dives, so there were a few things i still need to workout. I like the simplicity of the webbing, but there is also part of me that would like to try the transpac/plate just too see what the difference is like..

thanks for all the input!
All that lead should only be enough to keep you submerged at the end of your dive with a near empty tank. With a full tank plus some wetsuit compression at the beginning of a dive you'll be heavy by maybe 12-15lbs at most. If the wing were to completely fail (elbow ripped off for instance) you can swim up that 12lbs up with your fins and ditch lead so you can stay at the surface. Ditching UW is usually a move of extreme last resort as your ascent won't be remotely in control. If you are just sitting on the bottom in 50fsw with a full tank of air that's not an emergency (yet, for now, etc). You can just swim up.

A dual wing is quite a bit of complicated extra stuff including another air bubble to potentially manage. With inflator too.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I dive a traditional Dive rite rec wing and SS plate and heavy STA a single 120 and 3cu pony and it works great for me. If you can find a doughnut wing at a reasonable price I would go that route but a single DR rec wing works just fine. You have a great bunch here to help you iron it all out. If you can make it down to dive with Bob I would highly recommend it. It will save you a ton in the long run and really help your progression to a safe confident diver allot. Plus we also have a good bunch of divers down this way that loves to help nubes.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Grateful Diver wrote:
If the BP/W you were using was flopping around on you, that's an indication that it's a poor choice of wing for the setup ... basically, it's an example of what you'd experience with that setup you were initially asking about. A wing chosen properly for the application you'll be using it for won't flop around.
The wing wasn't flopping around, we just haven't gotten the shoulder ans crotch strap adjusted correctly yet, so the big old 119 is rolling a little on him.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Yah sorry, I may have misspoke. I just meant I didn't have the rig adjusted correctly. It was a different setup and I'm a newbie:)
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

thefeve wrote:haha okay - so maybe i should wait then and find the right thing...
You took the words right off my keyboard! :)