Building a system around the Canon s100

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
rgugler
Just Settling In

Building a system around the Canon s100

Post by rgugler »

Hey all!

My Fuji E900 was stolen out of my car when it was broken into in Seattle in January. I wasn't *too* sad to see it go, as I already had plans to replace it because its formerly excellent battery life fritzed out and it was draining new rechargeable batteries in 10 minutes. (The Ikelite case was left and is for sale if anybody wants it. $50)

After much nail biting, forum cruising, and research, I bought the Canon S100. Now I've run into a dilemma. Where to go from here? Money is tight until I get a few paychecks from my new job, so I can't go all out. I was thinking the Ikelite housing, but after that I still can't afford any strobe package for another month. Would I be better off waiting a few months and saving up for a Recsea or FIX housing for it, then wait again while I save up for decent strobes? I just sold my Canon 300D and the 2 lenses I had, and I'm trying to decide if I want to go up to something like the 60D, or jump in the micro 4/3 fan club. I couldn't do underwater with the 60D, the setup is just too big for my traveling lifestyle and too much $$$, but there is a possibility I could take the 4/3 underwater later on if I want to upgrade from the s100. In that case, I want to buy stuff for the s100 that would also be compatible with the 4/3 if I go that was in a year or 2.

I don't know how much I'll actually get go diving when I'm working on the cruise ship, but I would feel more comfortable having at least a housing to protect it from the rain and salt ever present when working at sea. I have a little waterproof Fuji XP 20 that has survived the fishing boats in Alaska, but having to do most things through menus and most everything is automatic, so it can be frustrating.

No matter what I do I'll be saving up for something, I just want something to focus on saving up for!

Thanks so much!!

Rachel

So many decisions and not enough money!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Re: Building a system around the Canon s100

Post by Scubie Doo »

Rachel,

I just went through an upgrade from a Canon G10 to a Canon 5d Mark ii. I discovered a little secret that saves a tremendous amount of money. Canon has a program called a CLP (Customer Loyalty Program). You can trade in an old non-working Canon camera for 20% off a refurbished DSLR. So for example you can get the Canon 60D for $799.99 less 20% if you have an old Canon. I have a Canon Elph 35mm that I would be willing to give you if you wanted to use it for the 20% discount. So you would be getting the 60D directly from Canon for $639.99. They will also sell you lenses for 20% off with the program. There is nothing online about it at the Canon site, but a quick phone to them and they will explain everything. They even give you free shipping and a return box for your old camera.

I thought of going 4/3, but after looking at the $$ I was so close to a nice DSLR I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Not sure if this helps with your particular conundrum, but hopefully it will. I hope you can find exactly what you need :-)

Jesse
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Also, I would select a housing that works well with fiber optic strobes. Like the Recsea and Sea and Sea strobes. That way you can easily transition those to another housing. If Ikelite's S100 housing had the TTL connections like the G10, I would recommend sticking with all Ikelite. That way you could easily transfer your strobes to a 4/3 or DSLR rig (that is what I did). However, I feel Ikelite's manual controller is a little clunky. I am a big fan of Ikelite. But I think you should start with another housing and go the fiber optic route. I am sure others will weigh in as well. And sorry to hear about your camera being stolen, that sucks!
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

If your on a tight budget I would go with the canon housing if you not thinking of upgrading the s100. But if your thinking possible added lenses then go Ikelite. As for the DSLR route? One word EXPENSIVE even if you can get the camera for$650 your still looking at $1500 or more for the housing and that is just the breakin price. Then it's lenses, ports, strobes and whatever else you might want. You can easily sink five grand in a DSLR
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

An underwater DSLR system was never in the running. I live on boats or out of a suitcase 9+ months of the year, and I don't have the $$$ or space to deal with one. I just want a good camera I can get a long lens for to get better (closer!) pictures of wildlife topside. The deciding factor for me between the S100 and G12 was the compactness. I liked the feel of the G12 in my hand more, but that doesn't really matter so much underwater once you get a housing on it!

I think I will wait and save up for a nicer housing for the s100. Can anybody recommend the Recsea over the FIX housing? Is there a store in Seattle that would have both I could go try out?

Thanks!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

http://www.opticaloceansales.com/?searc ... 57&oofv=11

Optical Ocean has the Ikelite and FIX, not sure where to find the Recsea housing???
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Another thing to think about. 2-3 years back I decided to get an entry camera. I bought a Canon SD790 and Ikelite housing. I did a few stupid things and drowned 2 cameras - one on a recent trip to Cozumel. Canon goes through models really quick - they only made them for a year. I cannot buy a decent 790 any more, although I can get a beat up one on ebay for $50.

I have also been looking at the S100 as a replacement. You can buy the S100 and the Ikelite housing for less than the Recsea or Fix housings alone. If Canon does with the S100 what they did with the SD790, a high priced housing that cannot be used for any other camera may not be a good idea if money is tight.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

I think the model changes are rampant in the P-n-S system. Some seem to have less than a 6 month life cycle.
I know a few people that buy 2 cameras and a housing expecting to flood one sometime along the way.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

That is a thought... I'm probably just going to wait for a few months before I do anything now. I wasn't able to sell my car, so I have to budget for another car payment before I get my first paycheck. Grrr. For now I'll either use my little waterproof Fuji XP20 or my Canon with a rain cover over it. Any recommendations? I don't want to kill my camera with rain!

Thanks!