Getting fish smell out of xtratufs

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
rgugler
Just Settling In

Getting fish smell out of xtratufs

Post by rgugler »

So I know these aren't SCUBA gear, but they are water related, right?

I've used mine for the last year working on the fishing boats, and now they are suggested for this cruise company. However, anything that goes on fishing boats comes off smelling rather horrible, and these boots have had their fair share of grossness on them. I have a few ideas, but could use some more input! I don't want to get the smell out, but ruin the neoprene doing it since I think they have at least 6 months left in them! They are in Seattle, so I can't do anything about it until I get there later this week. Kinda frustrating!

Thanks!
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Re: Getting fish smell out of xtratufs

Post by eliseaboo »

Sink the Stink, or Mirazyme. They're products with an enzyme in them that eats the organic stuff that's making the neoprene stink (I'm not familiar with "xtratufs" but it sounds like they're just neoprene, yes?)
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

They are dipped in liquid neoprene, so they aren't foamy, but the neoprene makes the boots lighter and more flexible in the cold than regular rubber boots. I'll definitely give one of those products a try, where can I find them?
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

most dive shop sould have them a quick google search said REI has it too
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

rgugler wrote: I'll definitely give one of those products a try, where can I find them?
Fisheries Supply is across the street from Gasworks Park and has it in their now separate clothing store. They might have other things you want too.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

Extensive scrubbing with Dawn soap, letting them sit for a day while the smell oozed out, and then spending the day covered in toothpaste with baking soda in it seemed to work! Now all I can smell is rubber and toothpaste. At least I know they won't get any cavities!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

baking soda I can understand that, but where did this toothpaste idea come from??
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

CaptnJack wrote:baking soda I can understand that, but where did this toothpaste idea come from??
Mild abrasive?

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you want to get the fish smell out of your Xtra Tuffs?

The herring scales on my boots are worn like badges of honor!
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
rgugler
Just Settling In

Post by rgugler »

Because while I could barely smell them, I'm pretty sure the people on the luxury cruise (and my employers!) would think otherwise! :D

A girl at the gear shed said her friend's mom had worked in the seafood department at a grocery store and the only thing that got the fish smell off her hands was toothpaste, so I figured I would give it a try!

I start work tomorrow, so I guess I'll get to get them dirty again!