Jellyfish sting relief

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Jellyfish sting relief

Post by Don-B »

Well for the first time today i got stung in the face by jellyfish tentacales.
it got my upper lip and expossed check pretty bad ,enough that i had to abort the dive.
2 hours later it still burns but is getting better.
So is there anything one could use right after this happens to soothe the burn?
Hopefully this wont happen for a while .it would be nice to have something just in case.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Re: Jellyfish sting relief

Post by Jeremy »

That happened to me last weekend at Edmonds. It was gone after about 6 hours.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sadly there has been much discussion about this and although there are lots of wives tails I don't think there is really much that actually works. Look in the archives, there are several threads about it.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Have your buddy pee on the site. On the gulf and east coast used meat tenderizer.
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

Ammonia is good - much better than having someone pee on your face. Agree that meat tenderizer was used on the gulf coast. Vinegar is supposed to help too if done right away.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Vinegar does not work for Lion's Mane. Done that-didn't do any good at all. I was VERY disappointed.
Tried fresh water in desperation ... do NOT do that! Bad idea!

DAN has some general suggestions.
http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medic ... ish_Stings

Don't know as there is a good remedy. Probably should put some Adolph's Meat Tenderizer in the save-a-dive kit just in case.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Valerie Lyttle ( I think ) once told be to scrape off the stingers with a credit card or cert card.
That seemed to work pretty good...

Another tip is to just not stick your face into the jelly :rofl:
That's how I do it now -- The first year I was diving I didn't quite seem to be able to keep my face off them.
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Blow-N-Bubbles
Aquaphile

Post by Blow-N-Bubbles »

This is what I use, works GREAT for me.

http://www.divers-supply.com/-P4031.asp ... hwodnyhygg

JellyFish Squish, purchased in most Dive Shops. It has Lidocane which I think actually numbs the area so you feel nothing. I have used it several times with great success.
“From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free.”
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

fmerkel wrote:Tried fresh water in desperation ... do NOT do that! Bad idea!
Your damned right its a bad idea.
fresh water was all i had and it made it worse.

I would like to think of myself as a fairly tough guy.
but having your lips feel like there on fire while 50ft underwater is a little unnerving.

JellyFish Squish ,i may have to get some.hopefully i will never need to use it.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

hot water compress worked the best for me..
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

H20doctor wrote:hot water compress worked the best for me..
Are you sure it wasn't the pee on your face? :smt064
:BDub:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
deep diver
Pelagic

Post by deep diver »

apple cider vinegar rather than white seems to work. My wife got hit on her lip, felt like she was getting stung by bees all over her body. :eek: benadryl helped with that.
It's a good day.... nobody died!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I recommend a 2 fingers of Makers Mark and ice. Take orally for best results.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Don-B
Dive-aholic

Post by Don-B »

Nwbrewer wrote:I recommend a 2 fingers of Makers Mark and ice. Take orally for best results.

It was 4 fingers of Jim Beam neat.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Well.....I had to take a test about jelly fish sting first aid and the correct answer was....hot, dry if you can,wet if you can't. Something about the heat breaking down the stingy stuff. BUT, I've never tried it so if anyone can perform a live test to either confirm or disprove I'm sure many would appreciate it.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Don-B wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:I recommend a 2 fingers of Makers Mark and ice. Take orally for best results.

It was 4 fingers of Jim Beam neat.
That'll work!
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Knob Creek for me.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

A couple weekends ago someone on on the dive boat gave me their Safeway card so I could scrape my face with it. :rofl: I gave it a shot. I've had a few stings in the past and can say that this definitely didn't make it any worse, possibly made it better. It was a pretty minor hit though so, hard to say.

+1 Knob Creek :)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

i got stung yesterday by an egg yolk jelly !!! But it wasn't nearly the punch as last years lions mane sting... I was fine after about an hour.. Pee doesnt wrk Bassman
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

FlyinV wrote:Valerie Lyttle ( I think ) once told be to scrape off the stingers with a credit card or cert card.

That's how I do it now -- The first year I was diving I didn't quite seem to be able to keep my face off them.
Yep, scraping with a plastic card helps remove those pesky stinging cells. Rinsing with hot water helps too, it breaks down the toxin.

Valerie
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Zen Diver wrote:
FlyinV wrote:Valerie Lyttle ( I think ) once told be to scrape off the stingers with a credit card or cert card.

Yep, scraping with a plastic card helps remove those pesky stinging cells. Rinsing with hot water helps too, it breaks down the toxin.

Valerie
Yeah the one time I took a really nasty one in the face I found hot water actually helped. Of course it was awhile after the event. Had to do 10 mins of scootering and 15 mins of deco to exit, and that probably helped rinse it out a bit. Then it was awhile later before yvonne gave me some hot water, so 60-90 minutes later or so it felt good... Maybe right afterwards it tends to explode stuck on nematocysts, but its useful later to break down the toxins? (after a couple good scrapes with a credit card?)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

lamont wrote:
Zen Diver wrote:

Valerie
Yeah the one time I took a really nasty one in the face I found hot water actually helped. Of course it was awhile after the event. Had to do 10 mins of scootering and 15 mins of deco to exit, and that probably helped rinse it out a bit. Then it was awhile later before yvonne gave me some hot water, so 60-90 minutes later or so it felt good... Maybe right afterwards it tends to explode stuck on nematocysts, but its useful later to break down the toxins? (after a couple good scrapes with a credit card?)
That's right, scrape first, then rinse, ideally with water as hot as you can stand it (but don't burn yourself!). The first gets rid of the big stuff, the second helps break down what toxin is left.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

H20doctor wrote:.. Pee doesnt wrk Bassman
That didn't stop you. :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: