SS Governor 2012

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: SS Governor 2012

Post by BDub »

Awesome report, Josh. Glad you're ok.

Having had a complete drysuit flood on a tech dive with much less deco than what you had on the Governor, that's a situation I never want to be in again, let alone on a dive the scale of the Governor.

Thanks for posting it.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Joshua Smith wrote:(Penelope was right about one thing- excited, angry unicorns actually DO fart glitter. Amazing.)
Nobody believes me until they see it with their own eyes.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BDub wrote:Awesome report, Josh. Glad you're ok.

Having had a complete drysuit flood on a tech dive with much less deco than what you had on the Governor, that's a situation I never want to be in again, let alone on a dive the scale of the Governor.

Thanks for posting it.

It's been a real problem for me, lately. I flooded on my Bunker Hill dive a few months back, too, and that was 40 feet deeper with more deco. But it wasn't a repetetive dive. Seems like the more time and money I spend on my suit, the more it leaks. I'm saving up for a new one.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Fantastic report Josh! So, was there any pictures? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

BASSMAN wrote:Fantastic report Josh! So, was there any pictures? :smt064
I only took one, the picture of our Megs lined up in my first post. Dan shot video, which I will link to whenever it's done.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Joshua Smith wrote:Thanks, everyone. I decided a while ago to start writing "warts and all" trip reports. If I screw up, I will write about it. The "net is full of "textbook perfect" trip reports, with people gliding, hovering, and reading each other's minds. I'm just going to write about what actually happened. :joshsmith:
Thanks for the "warts and all" dive reporting. I learn something from every dive- even yours!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

tech diving isn't for everyone. The actual dives aren't that bad, but 8-10 hours on a small boat with my friends will usually break normal people.
You owe me a keyboard . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

Unfortunately there is more to recovering the bell than just floating it. Personally I would have no problem doing a recovery under the right conditions. But it would be a waste to just have it go sit on a mantle or in a garage somewhere. In that case its better off where it sits. Been there since 1921 its not going anywhere.
MDS primary focus is documentation. I'm happy with just a photo in my house.
Rob
Last edited by rjw on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Awesome! You guys rock!
rjw wrote:Unfortunately there is more to recovering the bell than just floating it. Personally I would have no problem doing a recovery under the right conditions. But it would be a waste to just have it go sit on a mantle or in a garage somewhere. In that case its better off where it sits. Been there since 1921 its not going anywhere.
MDS primary focus is documentation I'm happy with a photo in my house.
Rob
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Penopolypants wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:(Penelope was right about one thing- excited, angry unicorns actually DO fart glitter. Amazing.)
These posts made me snort! :rofl:
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Zen Diver wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
Hmmm....unicorns also snort. Do you fart glitter?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

John Rawlings wrote:
Zen Diver wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
Hmmm....unicorns also snort. Do you fart glitter?
Struggling with sarcasm reflex... :bootyshake:

:smt064
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Little follow up article about the bell:

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/artic ... -shipwreck

They got most of the details right, except for the fact that we are the Maritime Documentation Society, not the Marine Documentation Society. I'm guessing the US Navy is in charge of documenting Marines, and they probably don't want our help. :funky:

Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Some video of the dives:

https://vimeo.com/49052955

Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Great video! At some point I hope we see a film of the actual recovery, preservation, and final resting place of the bell.
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Bric Martin wrote:Great video! At some point I hope we see a film of the actual recovery, preservation, and final resting place of the bell.

That will probably be next summer, if it happens at all.