Trade some electronics for scuba gear - tanks?

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Trade some electronics for scuba gear - tanks?

Post by kf7lze »

I do a lot of electronics work and have a lot of extra random gear lying around...and I don't have a lot of scuba gear yet since I'm pretty new. Maybe there's an opportunity in there to trade...so pick one or a few things you're interested in, and let's chat!

Things I'm looking for:
Big tanks. 95 or larger. Prefer ready to go with current hydro and VIP but we can chat. (I've only found rental tanks 80 CF or lower; I want more air!) This is what I'd really like...anything else is a "maybe"

Pony bottle setup maybe. (planning to get into deeper diving once I get some more experience...but still prefer main tanks first)

"Whatever else you have", make a suggestion! Fancy lights? Open to ideas!

What I have to offer:

Non-exhaustive list of what I'm willing to part with. If you're looking for something, and don't see it here...it's worth asking about.

*Dell Insipron 1545 laptop.Still Available ( ~ 18 months old
The one I have only came with 2GB of RAM but you could add more easily if you wanted for under $50, it's a flap on the bottom. Restored back to factory, crapware cleaned off. Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit. Has a 15.4" screen, 250GB drive (218GB free after partitioning and factory restore data), WiFi and all your standard laptop stuff. The downside: the Ethernet jack is broken so you're Wireless Only or you could get a USB Ethernet for it. (Does anyone plug their laptops into a hard wire for Internet anymore, anyway? I haven't on any laptop in years.) Based on eBay prices, I'd value this one at $300 even with the damaged port. Comes w/ power adapter and a nice carrying case.Image

*Sony LocationFreeTV Streamer. It's a box about the size of a home router, maybe a little bigger. You plug your Composite, S-Video or HD Composite into it, and connect it up to a network or WiFi, and can access that video device from anywhere over the Internet through a web service. Has pass-through for the video as well so you can also have it hooked up to a real TV. It even has the ability to control a cable box remotely, etc. if you want to change channels. Similar to a SlingBox.

*Netgear 24-port Gigabit Ethernet Switch. Was thrown away by my work because it quit working...it turns out it quit working because the power cable had vibrated itself out of the socket inside the unit, and reconnecting it works perfectly. It's this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6833122058 with no rack ears. Currently selling for $200...let's call it $135ish.

*Samsung 225BW LCD Monitor. Pending 1680x1050 resolution, 22". DVI and VGA. Power supply professionally reconditioned by myself, so it'll last another 5 years or so. Worth about $50 now. Works good, upgraded monitors. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001083

*Dell 19" Widescreen LCD E198WFPv. 1440x900 resolution, DVI and VGA. Had it for a few years. Works good, upgraded monitors though. Worth about $50 now. Image
Last edited by kf7lze on Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:47 am, edited 6 times in total.
-J.W.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: Trade some electronics for scuba gear - tanks?

Post by Mortuus »

A pony bottle is not related to deep diving in any way. Just letting you know.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mortuus wrote:A pony bottle is not related to deep diving in any way. Just letting you know.
Why do you say that?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Other than the fairly common desire for some sort of equipment redundancy for deeper (recreational) dives.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

CaptnJack wrote:Other than the fairly common desire for some sort of equipment redundancy for deeper (recreational) dives.
That's why I'd like one, extra insurance basically. One of my diving friends was recommending it. But he's getting into fairly technical stuff, it might be overkill for me even when I get my AOW.

So I edited my post to mention mostly wanting large normal tanks.
-J.W.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

I say that because your buddy is your redundant air supply :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Mortuus wrote:I say that because your buddy is your redundant air supply :)
Maybe to you. Not to everyone.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

:thumb3d:

One of each! As much so I'd have something dedicated to donate, as to use myself in a pinch, is part of my thinking in being interested in one.
-J.W.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

CaptnJack wrote:
I know. Hell, I used to use a pony myself. Now I just dont use it because in my opinion it is cheaper (and safer) to use your buddy. I am just trying to inform OP of another way of doing things so that he can save some money (or in this case electronics)
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

All advice is appreciated!
-J.W.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mortuus wrote:I know. Hell, I used to use a pony myself. Now I just dont use it because in my opinion it is cheaper (and safer) to use your buddy. I am just trying to inform OP of another way of doing things so that he can save some money (or in this case electronics)
Poor choice of wording if that was your intent:

Mortuus wrote:A pony bottle is not related to deep diving in any way. Just letting you know.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Possibly. I am not known for being good with words.

EDIT: More likely I spoke too soon without actually thinking. I am also known to do that.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

CaptnJack wrote:
+1
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Not to mention, this is a post about selling/trading, not diving education.

D
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

kf7lze wrote:
:thumb3d:

One of each! As much so I'd have something dedicated to donate, as to use myself in a pinch, is part of my thinking in being interested in one.

You have unintentionally tripped over the decades old "pony bottle" debate. Not your fault. Some schools of thought in the diving community are opposed to pony bottles, and others are not. There's nothing wrong with using one, IMO- as long as it has enough capacity to actually be usefull. "Spare Air" type devices, as well as tiny pony bottles, are generally regarded as a good way to run out of air twice on the same dive. I would suggest looking at 30-40 cf bottles, personally.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Every once in awhile one of the instructors here runs a free "gas management" seminar which might help you size tanks and any pony bottle for your chosen dive(s). Its been awhile so maybe one of them will offer one soon.
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

CaptnJack wrote:Every once in awhile one of the instructors here runs a free "gas management" seminar which might help you size tanks and any pony bottle for your chosen dive(s). Its been awhile so maybe one of them will offer one soon.
As a matter of fact, there will be one soon. I heard it through the grapevine. Bdub is doing it in the north end. :supz:
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

coulterboy wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Every once in awhile one of the instructors here runs a free "gas management" seminar which might help you size tanks and any pony bottle for your chosen dive(s). Its been awhile so maybe one of them will offer one soon.
As a matter of fact, there will be one soon. I heard it through the grapevine. Bdub is doing it in the north end. :supz:

oh yeah! :supz: here's the details on Mukilteo Gas Management 8/6/2012 : http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18783
squid509
Avid Diver

Post by squid509 »

im am interested in that 22' samsung it will match up nicely with my other 2 monitors
the only problem is i dont have any gear to trade for it i can give you cash for it though
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

I suppose cash is okay, too. Sending you a PM.
-J.W.
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Laptop is still available, was pending for a couple days but the interested member has another commitment so it's back to availability.

Adding:

*Sony LocationFreeTV Streamer. It's a box about the size of a home router, maybe a little bigger. You plug your Composite, S-Video or HD Composite into it, and connect it up to a network or WiFi, and can access that video device from anywhere over the Internet through a web service. Has pass-through for the video as well so you can also have it hooked up to a real TV. It even has the ability to control a cable box remotely, etc. if you want to change channels. Similar to a SlingBox.
-J.W.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

I have a 35lb soft weight belt, and an AL80 that needs hydro and vis.. and a size 12 woman's farmer john wetsuit if any of that seems of any value:) just sittin' in my garage, wouldn't mind getting something else i could use...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
kf7lze
Frequent Bubbler

Post by kf7lze »

Thanks for the offer, not quite what I'm looking for though.

I did have one offer to trade a gun for the laptop, at least yours is other scuba equipment :p
-J.W.