Skeleton Shrimp anyone?

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
coachrenz
Aquanaut

Skeleton Shrimp anyone?

Post by coachrenz »

One of my photos from Three Tree. I don't usually crop or photoshop, but for ID purposes, figured cropping this one might get me a better response.

I looked in Jensen's Crabs and Shrimp book but quickly realized that this isn't a shrimp at all. It is apparently an Amphipod. Isn't in Whelks to Whales or Lamb and Hanby.

I don't have myself an amphipod book. Anyone want to throw out a species ID on this little guy?

Tim
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Actually, Tim, I think that you DO have a shrimp here.

I believe that it is probably an Alaskan Skeleton Shrimp, Caprella alaskana. Though taken from a different angle, your photo looks almost exactly like the shot shown at bottom right on page 279 in Andy Lamb's book, Marine Life of the Pacific Northwest.

Andy DOES say, however, that there are "numerous, fairly similar species", but the Alaskan Skeleton Shrimp is the largest and most obvious.

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

I just noticed that even though it is referred to as a "shrimp" it is at the tail-end of the amphipod section of the book.
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Another view of the critter. As for the diver - diving one day before root canal procedure. Please note that I did not mean Hood Canal :pale:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yet another winner Jan! =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Great pic, Jan! I hope your root canal wasn't too painfull!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Awesome pic, Tim ... I doubt most of us would've even seen it, much less taken such a nice picture of it.

Jan .... when are you gonna publish a book??? Your stuff goes way beyond photography, and belongs on my coffee table ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:Jan .... when are you gonna publish a book??? Your stuff goes way beyond photography, and belongs on my coffee table ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Here Here! =D>
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I love the illustration, Jan.

I guess it's called a shrimp the same way that wolfies are called 'eel'.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

I take Hood Canal for root canal any day. Thank god for medications. I feel like in 200 fsw on air. :pale:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

You're truly narc'ed! :smt119 Hope you feel better soon Jan... LOVE the drawing! =D>
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Jan really, really needs to put these together and offer them to a publisher. A critter ID book with artistry and humor to boot . . . I'd buy one, pretty much no matter what it ended up costing.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Delightful drawing Jan! Yeah, sign me up for the people who will buy your book list. =D>
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman