Old Gear! Oh My! Need advice!

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Old Gear! Oh My! Need advice!

Post by WaGigKpn »

I had a meeting in Tacoma yesterday and swung by Tacoma Scuba off center street after. Met Josh, great guy! We talked for at least an hour...I originally was there to get a part for my Scuba Pro BC...He doesnt deal with scuba pro so he called over to a shop in Puyallup that does. Turns out my BC is from 1979...LOL...no parts for that so i am stuck with my slow air leak from the pressure valve...
So Josh says, bring in your reg and let me take a look...He takes a quick look at it and starts laughing...talk about a blast from the past he says. apparently my primary is so old the company was bought out and the reg was discontinued ages ago. something about it blowing out, not sure. He tells me, DO NOT DIVE WITH THIS REG, IT IS NOT CONDUCIVE TO LIVING, basically its a death trap. hahaha.

So, all the gear i inherited from my pops is so old its basically worthless, however it does work!

While i was there i looked at Dive Rite which i really liked! i can get into the Dive Rite Voyager BC for 300 bucks during their july promo...I have a friend who is loaning me his regulator which is a scuba pro mark X.

I am very tempted to go with the Dive Rite BC but its not a "name brand" which makes my friend (former master diver, dove for a living for many many years) nervous.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: Old Gear! Oh My! Need advice!

Post by Linedog »

Dive Rite not a name brand? Are you kidding? Dive Rite is a big company, I would not hesatate to deal with them and Tacoma Scuba. If that Dive Rite BCD is in your budget and Josh says it fits you I would be on it like white on rice!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Dive-Rite is most certainly a "name brand", originally specializing in tech diving gear. The company was founded in 1984 - perhaps your buddy was a Master Diver before then?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

OMG! My BC isn't a brand name?!? I've been diving a death trap for all these years? Damn!

I think you get the picture...They are fine if they suit your purpose. A nice thing about them is they take to a backplate well.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I dive a Dive Rite sidemount rig and it hasn't killed me yet.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Well yeah i think he stopped diving for a living back in the early 90's...he trusts Scuba pro, aqua lung etc...but I do trust his judgement, with a grain of salt...Hence posting here and looking for feedback from current experienced divers. I really liked the dive rite bc but 3 bills is a big hit to my budget and i obviously need to budget for new reg as well...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I doubt you will find a new BC for less than $300. Used can be hit or miss obviously but for something that works and will last even, used is likely to be >$200. However, regardless of price if the dive rite or other BC doesn't suit your needs it will be an endless source of frustration. So maybe try some rentals or loaners and decide what you like first. Or at least features that you like and then you can find brands/models which have many or all of those attributes.

Reg-wise, you can probably find and older used reg for $150. Plus $75 for servicing. Aqualung, sherwood or something like that. Probably not a scubapro, or Apeks as they typically command a bit higher price.

I am assuming your current reg is an older Dacor? They got bought out by Mares, who had an exchange program for a few years and then they destroyed the part molds. So its not servicable, and you can chuck it.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

CaptnJack wrote:I doubt you will find a new BC for less than $300. Used can be hit or miss obviously but for something that works and will last even, used is likely to be >$200. However, regardless of price if the dive rite or other BC doesn't suit your needs it will be an endless source of frustration. So maybe try some rentals or loaners and decide what you like first. Or at least features that you like and then you can find brands/models which have many or all of those attributes.

Reg-wise, you can probably find and older used reg for $150. Plus $75 for servicing. Aqualung, sherwood or something like that. Probably not a scubapro, or Apeks as they typically command a bit higher price.

I am assuming your current reg is an older Dacor? They got bought out by Mares, who had an exchange program for a few years and then they destroyed the part molds. So its not servicable, and you can chuck it.
:goodpost:
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Yeah, dacor...thats the one...

I hear ya on the BC price...the thing that kills me as i was set up to buy off craigslist a 2005 Scuba Pro BC and Reg setup with a wrist dive computer for 240 bucks! it was easily 1 grand worth of equipment maybe more...but before i could get over to seattle the guy sold it...so upsetting...

I am torn, part of me wants to dive RIGHT NOW! then another part wants GOOD SAFE GEAR! then another part (wife part) wants to SPEND ZERO MONEY! im already 460 bucks on my wetsuit, and 40 bucks on my atomic mask...wife is still super pissed but i told her it was the only thing keeping me from diving, which i thought was true, but now i guess it wasnt true after all. i figure i have gone this far already...whats a few hundred more? she is gonna be sooooo pissed....oh, did i mention she is pregnant with our first???
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

PM ORdiver about his Aqualung Seaquest BC. it's in great shape and I'm sure he'd give you a good price for it. He'll be up there this weekend, too.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

First off, let me say that I have never dealt with Josh or Tacoma Scuba. However, they both have stellar reputations and I wouldn't hesitate to buy anything they sell. Dive Rite is considered in many circles to be top of the line gear and should treat you well for many years to come.

As far as your old BC: You're saying it's leaking from the air valve.... I assume you mean the inflator valve and if that's correct, then you should be able to clean it and change the o-rings to get it back into no-leak form. When I deal with the low pressure side of my gear I simply use a correctly sized O-ring and don't worry much about the durameter rating. I've replaced so many O-rings I've lost count and I cannot recall a single one failing on me.

Now, the vintage diver in me is also saying hold onto your reg. Or at the very least, don't toss it out. I was given a box of old regs from a diver here is Sitka and all are now working except for the Techna, which I gave to a collector in CA. One of the regs was a Dacor Pacer XL, and it's now breathing as good as new. I replaced the O-ring on the hose inlet and put in a NOS diaphragm. One of the problems with Dacor is that for a while they had 1/2 in. threads on the lP ports of the first stage and you have to buy the adaptor for your inflator hose and octopus(if it isn't a Dacor also.)

What brand and model is your "old" reg? If it's Healthways or Sportsways, then you won't find a diaphragm for the 2nd stage.(1st stages are completely rebuildable as the NOS parts are fairly common.) If it's Scuba Pro or Aqua Lung(USD) then they can be rebuilt with all new parts. Other brands vary on parts availability, but you may have to search a few vintage forums to find the modern replacements. My Voit MR-12's, for example, use some Atomic parts..... Or Mares..... in the 2nd stage.

Let me know what brand the old reg is and I can try to steer you towards some parts.
Last edited by sitkadiver on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

WaGigKpn wrote:Yeah, dacor...thats the one...

I hear ya on the BC price...the thing that kills me as i was set up to buy off craigslist a 2005 Scuba Pro BC and Reg setup with a wrist dive computer for 240 bucks! it was easily 1 grand worth of equipment maybe more...but before i could get over to seattle the guy sold it...so upsetting...

I am torn, part of me wants to dive RIGHT NOW! then another part wants GOOD SAFE GEAR! then another part (wife part) wants to SPEND ZERO MONEY! im already 460 bucks on my wetsuit, and 40 bucks on my atomic mask...wife is still super pissed but i told her it was the only thing keeping me from diving, which i thought was true, but now i guess it wasnt true after all. i figure i have gone this far already...whats a few hundred more? she is gonna be sooooo pissed....oh, did i mention she is pregnant with our first???
As someone who has gone through multiple sets of gear, x2 (wife), before finding what worked for us, I'd encourage you to take CaptnJack's advice.

Try different brands and configurations until you find what works for you. Otherwise, you'll probably find yourself posting that gear you bought off Craiglist, on Craiglist.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I'd work on getting a reg off CL or something first. If you want feedback on a "deal" there's a thread here about CL. Or post the details here and someone will chime in while you respond to the seller. I see ~$150 CL regs with gauges or computer all the time so one should come along soon. Patience is the way to get deals.

Then borrow a BP/W to see if this might be one way to go. I am not using mine much lately, but think you are too big for mine unfortunately. My webbing is cut down for a 5'8" 145lb person (me lol). Ditto seeing if you can borrow a DR before buying.

Congrads on the kiddo.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The look my wife gives me when I say "Looks like this will be the last thing I need for a while." is one that we have all seen with wives/husbands of the diver. Get used to it. Now most of my purchases cost about 100% more as she gets something of equal value, is she so desires.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

As a fellow diver who must justify dive purchases to the non-diving wife (and we have 2 young girls as well) I feel you. Here was my justification/argument. Once you blow a wad of cash you have committed to diving for awhile unless you just want to piss that money away. The re-sale value on scuba gear isn't really the greatest except for maybe tanks. So.... my view is that if you are missing a bunch of necessary gear and have to rent stuff you wont dive much. It will be a hassle to get gear from the shop etc.... You don't dive much your skills get rusty and certainly don't improve. You never get comfortable in the water so you don't enjoy your dives much. You stop diving and you have 1/2 a set of scuba gear in your garage that you will eventually try and sell on craiglsist several years from now when it is all dry rotted.

I think used gear can be great keep an eye out and be a little patient. But at some point, just close your eyes real tight and pony up the cash to get the basic set of stuff. The one other piece of advice I can give is to work with the guys at the shop. I built a relationship with my LDS (and Tacoma Scuba is a good shop by all reports) and while I spent a bunch of $ on gear none of it is useless crap I want to replace.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Its not an O ring that is wrong with the BC...its the rubber stopper that presses against the nipple of the positive air from the octo...It has worn into a ring and air squeezes by. its a slow leak and probably will only take 10 min off my dive time at 30-40 feet...

The regulator works fine on the surface and when i submerge it in a bucket.

The other issue about craigslist and a BC is that i am 6'7'' tall and just shy of 300 lbs and one size does not fit all!...thats another reason i am leaning toward the Dive Rite BC. i could get it in xxl which should fit like a glove...i mean the standard large fit fine, it was just short.

I would be comfortable getting a reg off craigslist because they truly are one size fits all and could probably barter one...

am i talking myself into this or what?

My way of thinking is that there are two main things in diving that need to be good quality, comfortable, and extremely effective...your suit and BC...

Everything else is not size dependent and easily acquired used...(fins, booties etc are cheap enough and plentiful enough to not count)
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

As far as renting goes, its just not for me...i own what i use, i hate renting...its just the way i am and i am stubborn...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

For now, rent tanks tho. They are not worth you buying over a reg and BC.
WaGigKpn
Aquaphile

Post by WaGigKpn »

Already own a tank, Thanks Pops!

The LDS wouldnt hydro his other two so he just bought one new one.

In the future i will look into a higher volume steel tank...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

No hydro? Are the other 2 old aluminum alloy? Made by Kidde? other problem?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would seriously consider a BP/wing setup for a BC. You can come pretty damn close to that $300 dollar range with new stuff if your prudent. Diverite makes good BC's as long as it's something back inflate preferably back plate adaptable. As for regs just remember if you buy used you need to factor in the service cost to figure what kind of a deal your getting. Just ask before you buy. There are lots of very informed people here.
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

There aren't that many shops that rent a wide variety of gear anyway, but there are plenty of people here on the board who are willing and happy to loan their gear out for a dive or two. Try to join one of the weekly dives or the next big club dive.

BP/W setups are quite adjustable to a large range of by types, and can be less expensive than a more traditional BC.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

There is definitely deals to be had out there... after some Craigslist dealing, i've ended up with BP/W, regs, bottom timer, cheap dry suit (Oneal neoprene), fins, weights and haven't spent over 500$ :supz: ... just gotta be patient and find the right deals!

you'll find (as i have as a newbie) that there are a LOT of people here willing to loan you gear to deterimine what's right for you. I was crazy impatient and went pretty hard at finding deals and wheeling and dealing, but it worked out well for me:)
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
PendOreillePirate
Getting To Know Folks

Post by PendOreillePirate »

The SeaSoft SeaLion BC adjusts out large enough for big guys (as i fit into that category), but a brand new one is going to set you back more than $500. My only complaint about the SeaLion is that the bladder wraps around under the front weight pockets which can really put the squeeze on as it expands. I have a buddy that put a new wing bladder on a used backplate for pretty cheap. I'll ask him were he got his equipment, although I suspect it was ebay and craigslist. Do you prefer a weight integrated BC?
:pirate: Pat
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

PendOreillePirate wrote:The SeaSoft SeaLion BC adjusts out large enough for big guys (as i fit into that category), but a brand new one is going to set you back more than $500.

I have a gently used one of these that I'd be willing to make you a great deal on - sized for big guys. PM me if you're interested.

Mike