Is a DPV Class Worth Taking?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Is a DPV Class Worth Taking?

Post by Marc »

With such a mentality, I am surprised that you are actually seeking an instructor for your rebreather. Good luck, chucklehead.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Raikkonen: "It protects my head."
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I love you too.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Not the first lie you have told here.
Reporter: "The helmet has a special meaning for many drivers. How important is it to you?"

Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Let's keep the direct sniping in person across a table, please.

This is an official warning that lines are being approached. Let's stop it here, please.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Marc
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Marc »

Hey! he claims to have operated behind the lines! I just wanted my opportunity...

Ok. I'll stop. Maybe.

defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Jeff Pack wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:You said "GUE-ness"
That was not specific to equipment, training, or experience.

Go ahead and mount your GEM anywhere you want. You might want to describe what you are doing instead of referencing an agency which doesn't do recreational rebreathers at all tho.
ok, hows this for specifics:

My GEM kit will have a 7ft hose,waist knife, brass and glass SPG, but isnt a 1 piece harness, nor is the GEM a GUE approved device. (Unless I got an RB80 which is GUE approved BTW). But trying to keep config the same between both rigs as similar as possible.

My OC kit will be fully ready for a fundies class Nov/December if Koos decides to do another class then. One piece harness, 7ft hose, waist knife, B&G SPG and Bottom timer.

Specific enough?
So, I guess the big thing here is that you can config your GEM as standard as you want, but it's still not GUE approved.
I see you have an OC configuration for Fundies, and that is, of course, what you will be diving. So that's good. If you passed Fundies with your Gem, I would be required to lose respect for GUE for not sticking to their outlined standards.

D
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Blitz wrote:Hey! he claims to have operated behind the lines! I just wanted my opportunity...

Ok. I'll stop. Maybe.

PM sent.

We're done here - either back on topic or I'm locking the thread.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Novice
Dive-aholic

Post by Novice »

I actually really appreciated the responses regarding DPV classes I got. Has anyone taken a DPV class and thought afterward it was unnecessary? I will probably take a class but I am so excited about my new scooter I want to keep blathering about it. :joshsmith:
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

To the OP... There are a few very good instructors around doing DPV classes and I highly recommend them for all the reasons Lamont stated.

I see fewer scooters go to waste when folks do so. (going to waste in my book generally means sitting in a closet gathering dust because the owner never got comfortable on them and then selling them off a year or three later, 'been in the water 3 times, basically new'.

Thats not to say you can't muddle through and acquire some competence via experience and sporadic mentoring but why muddle with something that can get you in trouble 5 times faster (model dependent of course, some its only 3 times faster).

I did not take a DPV class at first. I fell in with a crack pushing crowd and was mentored and subsequently took a scooter workshop and wish i'd taken it sooner as I looked back and could see how much i didn't know but wish i had.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Novice,

I had a few dives (including tech dives) on scooters before I took my DPV class, and will say that I still found it very useful. I had not considered purposefully crashing a run away scooter,and dind't realize, how simple stopping the prop could be (although I'm not sure I'd want to try it on a Cuda with an X-Prop).

Furthermore, I learned proper towing, and find the method taught in the class easier that even the pull cord a lot of people pull out of their pocket. Now that's one less piece of gear you need, and it's always available in an emergency.

Also I had never practiced gas sharing on a scooter, and found it's actually very simple, and the protocols used by my instructor weren't what I would have worked out logically for myself, but after a lil' explanation his method made more sense in practice than what I had reasoned out in my head.

That being said I would stronly suggest you find an instructor who is going to cater to the scooter you have. There are a couple shops that sell the SEA-Doo types, and I'm not sure if their instructors are running DPV classes, but I would bet that the recreational agencies standards do not include the same content you would get from the right instructor around here, of which there are seveal good ones. I know I have heard of Scott Christopher (NAUI, I believe), and Brian Wiederspan (UTD) both running great courses.

Make sure you talk to some people who have taken classes, figure out what the content included and make sure that same content will be included in your course. Don't get short changed. When I was in Hawai'i there was a shop that ran a "Scooter Expierence" and on one day every week they taught a "scooter short" in the morning and then scootered out to a reef off short that afternoon with the SEADOO variety.
Last edited by kitsapdiver on Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

:taco: :taco: :taco: :taco: :taco:
Last edited by Norris on Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

OK, members...everyone please do their best to keep to the actual topic of this thread. The Original Poster asked a legitimate question about DPV training and deserves a thoughtful conversation answering his questions.

Your opinions regarding the veracity and opinions of another member, while they may seem important to you when you're typing, they certainly do not help the OP in any way in making his training decisions.

Please stay on topic...

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
jerryehrlich
Avid Diver

Post by jerryehrlich »

Novice wrote:So I just bought a Sierra via the interwebs. :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: :supz: It should be here in 3 or 4 days.

Anyone have an opinion about taking a DPV class?
Yes, either have a very experienced mentor or take a class. Air sharing, dead scooter tow, setting up the tow harness and other important items do not come with the directions on how to charge the batteries :)

I think it takes about 50 dives to integrate a scooter into your diving. Enjoy every minute of diving with your new toy.

Best,
Jerry
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

As someone who thought he had scootering figured out independently, and then ACTUALLY took a DPV course from an instructor, I cannot stress enough how useful these classes are. Taking it may seem a bit like overkill, but you simply can't learn all of the scooter lore quickly and completely when you're "just scootering" with friends. You may become very good at handling the scooter for the most part, but more often than not some of the critical emergency skills will fall through the cracks. Things like...

-Dead scooter drills and towing
-Out of air drills while on the trigger
-Fixing a stuck trigger using multiple techniques
-Dealing with a flooded scooter

Not to mention the practical knowledge like
- Making and adjusting a tow cord
- Weighting your scooter
- Maintenance
- Verifying battery charges
- Clearing a fouled prop
- Etc etc etc

You could in theory learn these from another scooter diver, but in all likelihood they won't have the patience to cover all of this stuff and will instead give you a cursory overview and then drag you on a dive. It's also likely a bit like playing telephone -- each time the info is passed down from diver to a diver, a bit is lost and a bit is warped. This is the true value of an instructor -- they set a solid baseline that you can trust as sufficient to stay safe and have fun.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

+1 on all that.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

-Fixing a stuck trigger using multiple techniques
Could have used this a couple of weeks ago, right, Scott?
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Schooling on a foreign object is always best. Although there are some people who can think ahead and anticipate emergencies, coming up with safety procedures from pure theory and then testing those theories. The majority of our population can't or doesn't do this efficiently. I like to evaluate myself from all aspects and determine whether or not I need a class. For example: Navigation classes. I found it to be of little use, although teaching me one or two things and supplying a professional to watch over me, it confirmed what I already knew.

In closing, class or not? I like to default to survival logic, playing it safe is never wrong.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Dashrynn wrote:Schooling on a foreign object is always best. Although there are some people who can think ahead and anticipate emergencies, coming up with safety procedures from pure theory and then testing those theories. The majority of our population can't or doesn't do this efficiently. I like to evaluate myself from all aspects and determine whether or not I need a class. For example: Navigation classes. I found it to be of little use, although teaching me one or two things and supplying a professional to watch over me, it confirmed what I already knew.

In closing, class or not? I like to default to survival logic, playing it safe is never wrong.
Do you actually still dive? Did you ever take a scooter class?
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:...In closing, class or not? I like to default to survival logic, playing it safe is never wrong.
Quit asking Dash hard questions like that.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:...In closing, class or not? I like to default to survival logic, playing it safe is never wrong.
Any questions?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

In my opinion a DPV class is absolutely worth it.

a quick little one dive "overview" of how to use scooters and how they work is hardly enough to make your proficient and safe at them..

Thanks for the props, but sorry to burst your bubble Jeff, but the scoot overview we did when you did dive 1 with your scoot was merely just that.. a simple 1 dive overview of how these things operate and how you use them..

The DPV class is more like 3 days and 5 dives that will include things like (but not limited to)

- General DPV Operation
- Positioning (Body, tow cord, etc.)
- Team position & Communication
- Emergency OOG scenarios with DPV
- Runaway (stuck trigger)
- using light communication, clearing ears, drysuit, bcd operation
- maintaining line and team contact (while doing above)
- Stowing and Towing a scooter
- Being towed and towing someone and communication while being towed
- Navigation techniques
- Dive (Deco and Gas) planning (i.e. plan for gas/deco/battery runtime for 2 divers and 1 scoot being dead)

etc. etc.

So - a quick pre-dive overview is NOT a substitute for a class.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Schooling on a foreign object is always best. Although there are some people who can think ahead and anticipate emergencies, coming up with safety procedures from pure theory and then testing those theories. The majority of our population can't or doesn't do this efficiently. I like to evaluate myself from all aspects and determine whether or not I need a class. For example: Navigation classes. I found it to be of little use, although teaching me one or two things and supplying a professional to watch over me, it confirmed what I already knew.

No, but I did stay a night at a holiday inn.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

CaptnJack wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Any questions?
I do not have multiple questions but only one, does that mean I can't ask my singular question?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Any questions?
I do not have multiple questions but only one, does that mean I can't ask my singular question?
That's a question already.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
pensacoladiver wrote:
Any questions?
That's a question already.