Getting Closer

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Getting Closer

Post by ArcticDiver »

Y'all said to keep the updates coming. So, here is another:

For time frame; I'm just a week or so shy of 4 months since the lumbar spine rebuild and bracing. I'm 2 weeks since activity restrictions were removed with the admonition that my body was severely deconditioned so take is slow and easy.

Yesterday I used a 30# barbell for standing arm curl to military press exercises. I did 5 sets of 10 since I was advancing from 20# barbell. Then I used 2 15# dumbells held together for lying over the head triceps exercises. Again, new, heavier weight so kept the reps down to 5 sets of 10. Then I moved over to the Nautilus machines for some light weight leg curls and presses.

In the afternoon I took my third bike ride. Still on flat country and keeping them short. Yesterday's was only 5 miles. Legs and torso are still pretty weak so it is dicey getting a leg over the saddle. I can't push off with my weak leg but the other one does the job and weakie catches up. I can feel the nerves in that leg waking up so hopefully it won't be long before I'm strong enough to do calf raises and to push off on both legs.

Based on what was discussed here a few months ago I figure once I can handle 80# the body/torso will be strong enough for warm water kit. Once I can push off with either leg and do at least a few calf raises the legs will be strong enough to do their job.

CardioVascular doesn't seem to be an issue. Because I've gotten so much grief from the medical community about not being on any chronic medication when "at your age you should be on ......" I keep track of my vitals. They are good for any age.

Have no idea when I'll be able to get in the water again. But, I think it won't be long.
Last edited by ArcticDiver on Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Getting Closer

Post by Tom Nic »

All the best, and thanks for the updates!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Tom Nic wrote:All the best, and thanks for the updates!

Throughout this evolution I have struggled with how much to post here. Some folks just can't seem to take a breath without "sharing". I didn't want to be one of those. Then, I met several people who said how much encouragement they got from reading about other's travails and how they coped. So, I've opted to post more rather than less.

Plus, I've gotten a lot of support from this Board. It is only fair you see what that has wrought.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks for moving toward the "more" side. If someone isn't interested they can certainly ignore. Those that are, and those that give a crap, benefit.

Again, all the best.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Thanks for the post!!!

My dive days might be numbered. I'm deciding to keep it to a bout two dives a week for now. At least until my low back stops talking to me.

There will still be some 3 and 4 dive days but just not for now.

Bonaire? Now that's totally different!
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

I'm happy for you! Baby steps and take it easy.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Emilyrc wrote:I'm happy for you! Baby steps and take it easy.
Where were you last night? :)

Finding that line where Not Pushing Hard Enough and Pushing Too Hard meet is a bit difficult. It isn't on a map anywhere. But, by experiment I found it last night. When I returned from my ride I figured I was tired enough I'd have trouble from my weak leg. To help dismount I leaned against a fence. My tired, weak leg didn't clear the bike seat. I lost my balance, twisted my back and the front gear on the bike gave me a couple bleeders on my shin.

Guess i'll back off for a day or two, eh?
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

In Oak Harbor pouting and feeling sorry for myself...

I'm still working on what my limits are, and how I can and can't move. (No moving the leg forward and stopping abruptly, like, say, tripping on dogs or kids toys..) and I just had a lamenectomy. Nothing near what you had. Keep me posted on your recovery.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Emilyrc wrote:In Oak Harbor pouting and feeling sorry for myself...

I'm still working on what my limits are, and how I can and can't move. (No moving the leg forward and stopping abruptly, like, say, tripping on dogs or kids toys..) and I just had a lamenectomy. Nothing near what you had. Keep me posted on your recovery.
Single level laminectomy? Maybe not as major as the whole lumbar spine. But, don't downplay it. Any surgery involving the spine is serious stuff. The physical part is serious and, while it isn't talked about much, the mental/emotional aspect is just as tough.

Did you have a fusion with the laminectomy? So, how is your recovery going?
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I appeciate the news, I expect someday I'll be paying even worse for the abuses I put my body though back in the day, but so far 5 years from when they wanted to do a lamenectomy to me.

But gives me some ideas when that day comes, who to talk to, and what to do.

thx!
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.