Removing paint from galvanized

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Removing paint from galvanized

Post by vs920 »

Does anybody know of a good way to take paint off of a galvanized tank surface? Any chemical that wouldn’t react with the coating?
Thanks.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: Removing paint from galvanized

Post by CaptnJack »

Any paint remover safe for metal is fine.
Zip strip aka klean strip has worked for me in the past. It needs to be warm out to work best, but also not dry out on the tank. If its drying too fast you can wrap the tank in saran wrap to help keep it wet longer. Best to use outside only, even though methylene chloride is no longer considered a carcinogen its still not good for you.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

vs920 wrote:Does anybody know of a good way to take paint off of a galvanized tank surface? Any chemical that wouldn’t react with the coating?
Thanks.
I need to do the same (but haven't done it yet), but was told acetone works.

You really don't (almost) have to worry about he galvanizing, as its a hot dip, unless your using soda ash. But if your using that... it's not paint. :pirate:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

acetone won't work, its just a solvent not a stripper.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

CaptnJack wrote:acetone won't work, its just a solvent not a stripper.
Take this advice.
Rjack knows his strippers!
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mz53480 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:acetone won't work, its just a solvent not a stripper.
Take this advice.
Rjack knows his strippers!
Sigh I wish :p
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

Thanks for the advice. I’ll get some Zip Strip and give it a shot.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

harbor freight sells a baking soda blaster, I looked at getting one for exactly this reason.

the media washes away easy and it's fairly environmentally friendly..

expensive way to do it if you plan to only do 2 tanks..

you could also go down to fire king and they will blast the paint off for you for probably $15 a piece..

my time and hassle is worth much more than $15 if I had to manually strip paint..
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Fire KIng?
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Jeff Pack wrote:Fire KIng?

Fire King

Local hydro shop, and nice people
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

The plan is a pressure washer. After I apply the stripper and let it sit a while, I’ll use the pressure washer at work to get the stubborn paint off. I did this originally without stripper but it only removed the loose paint. Once again, thanks for the advice.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Paint stripper is rediculously caustic. Do not get any on skin or eyes as you blast it off splattering it everywhere.

Not sure the pressure washer will actually work but give it a shot and let us know.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Once the strippers done it's job you could simply wash it off with the hose then hit it with the Pressure washer.. it'll keep that icky crap from splattering all over the concrete, cars, buildings, you, your bud's, the dog, plants, your garden.... and of course the...... well... you get the picture.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Waynne Fowler wrote:Once the strippers done it's job you could simply wash it off with the hose then hit it with the Pressure washer..
That's no way to treat a girl trying to put herself through college.

Oh, wrong kind of stripper. My bad.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I dont think he meant washing the stripper.. :eric:
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

spatman wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:Once the strippers done it's job you could simply wash it off with the hose then hit it with the Pressure washer..

And spatman didn't quote the best/worst part :partydance:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

spatman wrote:

KneeDeep wrote:
spatman wrote:

And spatman didn't quote the best/worst part :partydance:
I completely forgot the crowd I am in here..... I deserve that! :) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

I used a product called Loctite Chisel Paint Stripper that worked very well. I did a test spot before doing the whole tank with no adverse affects. The gasket/paint remover did a good job of loosening the paint and the pressure washer made short work of the rest.
Attachments
Before
Before
After
After
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

What kind of tank is that? The green actually looks pretty good.
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

CaptnJack wrote:What kind of tank is that? The green actually looks pretty good.
Yes it’s a steel tank. I’m anal; the green didn’t match my other tanks.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

vs920 wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:What kind of tank is that? The green actually looks pretty good.
Yes it’s a steel tank. I’m anal; the green didn’t match my other tanks.
Do you know who made it?
vs920
Frequent Bubbler

Post by vs920 »

Sorry I didn't read your post completely. It’s A 3500 psi steel PST, original hydro 4/1990.
The green paint did look pretty good and the Nitrox label good on it too, but like I said, I’m anal, and wanted it to match my other tanks.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Oh ok. Someone must have painted that green. I was just concerned that you stripped a spray galvanized tank (Fabers mostly). If possible you want to avoid that, the paint is an intergral part of their coating and hard to replicate with a can.
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

CaptnJack wrote:Oh ok. Someone must have painted that green. I was just concerned that you stripped a spray galvanized tank (Fabers mostly). If possible you want to avoid that, the paint is an intergral part of their coating and hard to replicate with a can.
I have an old Scubapro (Faber) 95 that has some spot corrosion/bubbled paint. I've scraped off the bad paint, and It VIP'd out okay, and my plan was to figure out how to better protect it. I was headed down the path of stripping off paint and touching up the galvanizing - until I saw your post.

Have you been down this path, and do you have any suggestions/insight to share?

Mike
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

mpenders wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:Oh ok. Someone must have painted that green. I was just concerned that you stripped a spray galvanized tank (Fabers mostly). If possible you want to avoid that, the paint is an intergral part of their coating and hard to replicate with a can.
I have an old Scubapro (Faber) 95 that has some spot corrosion/bubbled paint. I've scraped off the bad paint, and It VIP'd out okay, and my plan was to figure out how to better protect it. I was headed down the path of stripping off paint and touching up the galvanizing - until I saw your post.

Have you been down this path, and do you have any suggestions/insight to share?

Mike
How bad is the bubbling? The factory faber paint is pretty good and its a baked epoxy that can't be replicated at home. I have never seen one so bad to warrant stripping it, but that's still good enough to not fail a VIP. The bad ones I have seen were so bad they were condemned actually. If you have any of the old OMS boots which don't have good drainage you want to rip those off and either have the tank bare or get a newer faber boot. That's how these tanks get corroded to the point of recycling, not from a little paint bubbling.

I touch mine up with white rustoleum from a small can. Its thicker than spray. If you have the grey OMS painted ones you're screwed lol. That paint sucks.