dive computer recomendations

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Re: dive computer recomendations

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Thank you everyone. I really apprecaite all of your input and views from the street. It is really hard not having a dive shop to go in and touch and play with the toys before you buy. You all have give me some great ideas to research. It is time to continue the internet shopping. If anyone else has thoughts please toss them out. I wont be buying for a month or so while I nail down what I really want.
Maxtrax
Frequent Bubbler

Post by Maxtrax »

A couple days late here, but adding another vote for LV. I recently got a Xen and on my first dive with it my buddy who had just gotten a Galileo looked at my wrist for depth and time the entire time because it was so readable, even from 5-6 feet away in the Cove 2 murk. For your specific requirements I think the Kaon or Lynx would be great choices.

I've also heard great things about Shearwaters and have a few friends who swear by them but as far as I can tell they seem to be more geared towards technical/deco diving and less towards the recreational user. Ultimately, if readability is your primary criteria I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current crop of computers with OLED displays. As far as usability goes, the tap interface on the LV products took my a good few dives to get used to it, but now that I understand it I think it is the hottest thing since sliced bread. On my old Nitek Duo I managed to unintentionally adjust the nitrox mix it was set for or change it to gauge mode multiple times simply by accidentally bumping a couple buttons while getting into my rig.
msblazer
Just Settling In

Post by msblazer »

Late here also, but wanted to add my recommendation for the Mares Icon HD Net Ready. I've been using it for about a year and a half, both warm and cold, day and night, air and nitrox. Can't say enough good things about it. Easy to use and configure, big bright screen, great battery life - on a four dive day, I routinely have well over 50% battery life left. One poster mentioned that he can't use it for warm water. Not sure why - it easily adjusts to fit most any diameter.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
I shall not waste my days trying to prolong them.
I shall use my time.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

So the order is in Koos set me up with a

1 x KAON (OLED Nitrox computer)
1 x PC Interface kit
1 x Protective Body Shield (2 pieces)
1 x Rechargeable battery kit (2 batteries + Charger)

I hope to be diving it in a week or so

Thanks everyone for chiming in with your opinions. It is always nice to hear what others like and their experiences with different products.

Herb.
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

NO - HERB - NO !!!! Don't you know this is just a giant gear conspiracy?? :eek:

First, you show the computer off to me. Then I order one from Koos.....

Then, you show it to Dave. And he orders one from Koos......

Then, Brady, Paul, Greg.... Etc.....

Seriously though, congratulations. That screen is going to be awesome in our dark waters. That's the one where you tap the case to scroll menus? I thought that was a great design feature and eliminated any possible button issues. Can't wait to see it in use. You know, since we're such good friends, I can take it for a test dive for you....... :smt064
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

that was the big selling point for me, those screen are so readable, I can read my dive buddy's computer.

I just wish my Shearwater was as readable.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Dave you are welcome to test dive it anytime you want. And I think that when you play with it you will be ordering also ( i promise I wont tell your wife that you are looking. It looked like the Iphone of Dive computers easy to use and easy to read. Now if it had air integration well that would be even better, but rumor has it that it is coming
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

My computer made it to Seattle this morning. Scheduled for my house on Friday and will be wet on Saturday. And the best part is we have a 3 day weekend . Would it be terrible of me to say I can't wait. Thanks again Koos for the great deal and service :partydance:
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Alaska-Herb wrote: Thanks again Koos for the great deal and service :partydance:
Told ya... ")
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Jeff Pack wrote:
Alaska-Herb wrote: Thanks again Koos for the great deal and service :partydance:
Told ya... ")
Yup you told me and I am glad You did. Now I will be telling everyone else. Koos provides great gear, great service and great prices.

Fed ex tried to bring my computer today but I wasn't home so now I have to wait until tomorrow. :eric:
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Thanks for all the nice words guys :luv:

Glad to be able to help out a fellow NWDC'er
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Alaska-Herb
Aquaphile

Post by Alaska-Herb »

Ok a quick review of my new Kaon. I think the picture speaks for me about the underwater opinion. Compared to my Aladin Prime it is a thing of beauty to see and work with. The tap interface above and below the water is awesome to work with . The size of the computer is actually small for what I was expecting. Don't get me wrong it is not too small. The screen is very readable.

The only thing I need to work out is the conservatism compared to the Prime It was giving me 12 minutes less NDL. I know you can change this in the TEC mod but I need to read up and see if it is adjustable in Rec mode

Anyway I am very pleased with it . Thank you again koos
Herb
Attachments
IMG_2834.JPG
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

I have a Suunto D4 and I have literally beat the hell out of it for about 3 years now. It was fairly inexpensive as far as dive computers are concerned. I think I paid $450 at the time. It's not rechargable but the battery lasts about a year. Probably more if you don't dive a lot. You're supposed to take it to a dealer to change it but it's just two screws and the battery costs 7 bucks at radio shack. I've changed it myself twice with no problems at all. It has a fairly large screen but not big enough to get in the way of your hands range of motion. Displays your depth and allowable time at said depth fairly large; I've never had a problem reading it. It's good for air and nitrox and free diving. And it's reasonably conservative. My buddy dives a fairly aggressive oceanic and is always bashing my suunto cause we have to call the dive before his computer maxes out. The only con is that you can't sync it to a transmitter on your tank but that's a feature I really don't care about. The only other computers I've dove were a dive rite antique computer that felt like I had a dinner plate bungeed to my wrist and a (i think) scuba pro console computer that I absolutely hated, so my basis for comparison is kind of limited.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

Lol guess I should have read the last post!
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347619777.681168.jpg
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347620303.834046.jpg
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

raptor wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347619777.681168.jpg
Pretty!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."