Terrific Mapping Project

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Terrific Mapping Project

Post by Tangfish »

Hey folks, as some of you might know I'm currently doing my DM. I'm almost done and the final thing I have to do is an underwater mapping project. I'm wondering if anyone with experience in this department wants to give me a helping hand and do this together. I think it will take 4 dives or so to complete from what I hear, maybe less or more depending on the site. Or, even just some advice on the subject would be helpful, from those of you who've done this before. I'm thinking if I can get someone like diverdown to join me in some dives with that reel of his, to map out a local site that'd be swell! :supz:
Last edited by Tangfish on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

Calvin,
Which site are you thinking of mapping? A reel would be helpful. Let me know.
Kirsten
"Let's go diving!"
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Sure thing Calvin I can help or you can borrow my reel, Im gonna be in Canada next weekend.
Who run barter town?
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Calvin I know i am not DM but can I help I think that would be a cool project.

we could map the pipeline or even better sunrise Beach. My buddy has a boat so it could be boat dives, and dave has a boat to
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I haven't actually nailed down a site yet. I'm still thinking about it. Preferably a site that we wouldn't mind doing a few back to back dives at, and something with somewhat manageable conditions for mapping (i.e., no crazy currents, etc.)

I'm still trying to get ideas and seeing who's interested in that sort of thing. I'm thinking of getting started in about a week or so.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I'll do sund rock or octo hole with you and we have the BBQ coming up, everyone could run a seperate compass square and map there own and we put it all together.
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Yeah, Calvin, I'd be more than happy to help, if there's anything I could do to be usefull!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

calvin!

Three Tree North needs a good site map.

Or even South

I have not been able to find one on the net yet.

Yours could be the first!

Alot of cool stuff is there!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Good idea on Three Tree BASSMAN. I'd like to do something that has good access, hasn't been mapped yet and isn't too complicated topography-wise. Three Tree seems to fit the bill. Of course, anyone is welcome to come diving while I putz around with my slate and reel.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Tom Nic and I are planning on diving Three Tree this Thursday afternoon (3:00 pm) and possibly a night dive too. we are thinkin' of Three Tree S. for the first dive "Northwest Shore Dives" has some info on Three Tree S.
Maybe we will see you there?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow BASSMAN, you are the king of mid-week midday diving. I wish I could, but alas, I have work to do in the orfice...er, office.

I will be diving this weekend though and tomorrow evening. You and Tom Nic should make it up for one of the Wednesday evening dives.
Dave
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Dave »

3 Tree would really cool, I will gladly assist and fulfill my DM requirements too if that works for you......

:book:
TAKE only pictures,,, LEAVE only bubbles...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Ok, Three Tree it is. Can anyone get going on it with me this Saturday? Oh yeah, I believe we'll need a reel and enough rope to get going on the mapping. I know diverdown has offered to let me use his, but I don't know if I'll see ya by this weekend.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I will try to find a reel to use. I will try to dive withyou saturday, and map some shit.
Maverick

STAIRS.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Yep, I'm all about those Mid-day dives,
I'm working on Satureday untill 2:30 pm.
Are you going to be there,(Three Tree),any time after 3:00 pm?

Tom and I both have a church commitment on wednesday nights. besides
Alki Cove is kind of far for us since we live down in Lakewood and I have to get up for work at 3:00 am #-o

Maybe some Wednesday Tom and I can play hookie from church and go diving. \:D/ just don't tell the Pastor! Oop's #-o Tom IS the Pastor! :pale:
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Maverick (and anyone else interested in mapping), here's an example of a map, provided by Anita:

DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

There you go cut, paste, print, done!!!
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Yeah, problem is... my instructor gave me this as an example. I guess so much for setting the bar comfortably low! #-o
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Anitas map blows goats calvin, what is this not to scale shit, I can't beleive she would assign you a project and give you a halfass example. yours will kick ass, As long as you get a wink of sleep. :vom:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Hey BJ, let's :smt064 her map after we make an awesome one :smt051
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Had a great dive at Three Tree N. with Tom Nic on Friday afternoon.
We saw a couple of Octo's and got some cool pics along with a video of the Octo's. (Tom Nic is becoming quite the UW Phtographer).
Rat fish and Rock fish were everywear!

Vis. was great for our first dive, maybe 20 feet.( Isn't that sad, I considder 20 feet vis great?)

We have dove this site several times now and it just keeps getting better!

I sure hope Calvin can help us find the boat again.
We found it once on our first dive and then have not been able to find it since then.

Note: Three Tree S. has a great overview in the "Northwest Shore Dives" book, Three cars and a boat but there is "No Parking" Signs everywhear!
Sre would like to dive this site, but could be a long walk in your gear, to get there.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

HELP!

Post by Tangfish »

Okay, I seriously need to finish this darn mapping project of Three Tree. Will anyone dive with me there at around 2pm or so on Saturday? I'll bring a line and slate. Help a brotha out, someone? Anyone?!!!!!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Damn, I'd be happy to, but I'm working 'till 4 or so, most likely....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I also work until 4:00 pm. Otherwise I would be happy to join you.
:dontknow:
Bassman
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Uhm, ok... well mapping project aside. We should go diving after 4 somewhere!