Education Forum - Mission and Guidelines

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Education Forum - Mission and Guidelines

Post by Tangfish »

Due to the fact that we frequently have questions regarding training, skills and instruction spread across the site, we've decided to give these postings a home on NWDC.

Discussion about equipment can still take place over at Gear Central, but if you'd like to ask questions about the use of that gear in the water or about how to pursue further instruction from your LDS or a private instructor in the area, here's the place to ask.

Now, there are a few ground rules here, designed to benefit the student/seeker of wisdom:

1) No unsolicited advice or advertisement for paid instruction. Please, no posts for classes or otherwise paid instruction by any instructor or shop affiliated with any certifying agency. Some posts, such as safety-related education (DAN, CPR, etc.) and/or free seminars may be okay. If in doubt, please contact a moderator before posting.

2) Present balanced information as fairly as possible. If you subscribe to a particular school of thought or certifying agency, don't present a holier-than-thou attitude about it here. We're here to provide as much information to the person asking the question as possible, so that they can make a wise decision for themselves. Unabashed persuasion is not welcome.

3) Remember your roots. Consider that all of us were wet behind the ears (get it?!) at one point, so reply with patience and understanding that some questions might have very obvious answers to some of us now - but at one point, we all wondered about the same things.

This forum is to be wholly for the benefit of the person seeking information and guidance from those who have more experience. It is the responsibility of the senior divers here to bend to the needs of the newbies with consideration and open-mindedness.

Did I miss anything?
Last edited by Tangfish on Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

YOu forgot have fun and go down deep :la:
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Very educational, Maverick [-X
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Ok then, have fun and go deep while reading a book. \:D/
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Re:

Post by Diver_Dave »

Leave nothing but silt & bubbles.....
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
kjc
Aquaphile

Re: Education Forum - Mission and Guidelines

Post by kjc »

Calvin wrote: It is the responsibility of the senior divers here to bend to the needs of the newbies with consideration and open-mindedness.
Thank you very much!

Greatly appreciated and well said!
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

Post by Diver_Dave »

What happened to Kjc??
D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Diver_Dave wrote:What happened to Kjc??
Hasn't been here in 3 years... I did see him on the ferry with a bunch of kayaks recently tho.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346113762.191320.jpg
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Shouldn't the zombies be diving? Or at least underwater (since they obviously don't need gear to stay alive, not being alive...) :popcorn:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

RoxnDox wrote:
Shouldn't the zombies be diving? Or at least underwater (since they obviously don't need gear to stay alive, not being alive...) :popcorn:

Jim
One of the creepiest parts of World War Z was the part where the guys in the submarine were sitting on the bottom of the ocean, listening to the sounds of all the zombies crawling over the outside of the sub. *shudder*
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Penopolypants wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:

Jim
One of the creepiest parts of World War Z was the part where the guys in the submarine were sitting on the bottom of the ocean, listening to the sounds of all the zombies crawling over the outside of the sub. *shudder*
That was a great part of an awesome book.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Penopolypants wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:

Jim
That was a great part of an awesome book.
+2! :jason:
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

So, speaking of WWZ, have you all seen the teaser trailer for the movie yet? Unfortunately, it looks nothing like the book =/
Thankfully we still have The Walking Dead though.