IMAX Deep Sea 3D

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

IMAX Deep Sea 3D

Post by Joshua Smith »

http://www.imax.com/deepsea/

Anybody see this yet? I just checked it out, and it's pretty great. 3D has come a LONG way since the days when I'd go see "The Creature From the Black Lagoon" at the College theater near my house. The moon jellies and other critters really do look like they're floating into the auditorium.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I went and seen that opening weekend and I thought it was great!! I found my self trying to brush the plankton away from my face...
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

AAAAARRRRGH, I keep forgetting to see this, and I keep hearing how sweet it is. I hope I can get to see it before it's not in the IMAX any longer. Regular movies you can always catch on video, but when this one is gone... it's gone. :pale:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

It's truly worth the hassle of going to Seattle Center. I was really impressed- stuff really does look like it's floating off the screen into your lap! The footage wasn't exactly stuff I was expecting, there were some whacky critters I'd never heard of, like this California something something shrimp that's a total badass, as well as our very own Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf eels. I'd be down to see it a second time, actually.

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

How about a nwdiveclub night out at the Imax!!!
Who run barter town?
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Now that would be cool. And we'd all walk outta there cursing our drysuits and wishing we were in the tropics together. I know that UWS puts together some sweet travel deals. We can practice putting together trips to Hood Canal and such with the hopes that one day we can all make it to Cozumel together. Of course, I'm thinking pretty far ahead but hey... we've got a swell group going here!
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

I'm down with movie night, Hood Canal, or Cozumel, but I'm interested in Belize, actually. Anyone ever been there?

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I have been to Belize. I am actually much more impressed with Honduras and Mexico as far as diving is concerned, but I only got to Caye Caulker and Ambergis Caye. I hear that further down South by Glover's Reef it's much nicer.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

I am so down with movie night, and Erin is down also. I need to get her registered here so i stop talking for here. But she is down, she can be number 51 in the club.

how about hood canal i love that place andit is less money than cozumel!!LOL
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I just saw Deep Sea 3D. Wow, that was an incredible experience. I highly recommend it! One of my favorite parts was watching the nudibrach feeding on the tube anemone and then swim away. :supz:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I went Saturday, and it was amazing! In a sense it's almost "better" than real life.... i.e. animals floating off the screen and into your lap! (Of course NOTHING is better than the real thing! :supz:

Don't miss this IMAX flick!!!!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Going this Sunday if anyone wants to tag along
thelawgoddess
Pelagic

Post by thelawgoddess »

so, bassman sent me a pm asking if i was diving lots, then saying he'd check back in a few weeks - after i finished my cert course. *HEE HEE* anyway, i told him my boyfriend and i had watched "the cave" and "into the blue" recently, and he wrote back asking if i'd seen "deep sea" ... well, i hadn't even heard of it. but i looked it up and the last showing was in about an hour. my boyfriend wasn't going to be able to make that. :-( well, too bad for him! i rallied myself and managed to make it to the ticket counter at about 2:15 (for the 2:20 movie). unfortunately the lines were pretty long to get into the science center, and i didn't make it to the front of the line by 2:20. i really thought i was screwed and thought i should probably just go home and mope and avoid any humilation. oddly enough, i was actually already going through the 5 stages of grief for my little loss, but for some reason i stuck it out in line and by the time it was my turn - at 2:24 - i was just about at acceptance. i asked if i could still go, though, and she called the ushers ... and after some mumbling i couldn't hear, she said i could still go but i'd have to run. i gave her my card and when handed me my ticket, she actually told me to start running. *WEE* the whole time i am having flashbacks to field trips in grade school where they were always telling you NOT to run. it sure is a long way from the ticket counter to the theater entrance, but i needed the exercise anyway.

setting aside my dashed preconceived notions of hearing great dialogue, the movie was great! i don't remember the last time i've seen anything in 3D and that was cool. they didn't show much SCUBA per se, but that's not what made it great. there are some very incredible-looking creatures in it, and i really hope i like diving! "deep sea" got me pretty stoked on getting to see some of that amazing underwater world that - to me - currently only exists in pictures and aquariums.

thanks, bassman! *THUMBS UP*
"Life without passion is life without depth."~J.Hollis
my FLICKR photo sets
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

I saw it on "educators night", the day before it opened. (my husband is a teacher so we got in for free) It was pretty amazing. My favorite part was trying to smash the jelly fish floating around me with my fingers.

There was a Q&A afterwards with the producer and director of the film. I asked about how it was filmed. She said most of it was done on rebreathers and they had thousands of hours of film that they condensed down to about 40 minutes.
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Re:

Post by Tangfish »

Nailer99 wrote:It's truly worth the hassle of going to Seattle Center. I was really impressed- stuff really does look like it's floating off the screen into your lap! The footage wasn't exactly stuff I was expecting, there were some whacky critters I'd never heard of, like this California something something shrimp that's a total badass, as well as our very own Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf eels. I'd be down to see it a second time, actually.
California Sea Cucumber? Yeah, totally badass, dude. :laughing3:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Re: Re:

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:California Sea Cucumber? Yeah, totally badass, dude. :laughing3:
dang, calvin, catching up on your reading? this thread is waaaay old....
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Re: Re:

Post by DiverDown »

Calvin wrote:
Nailer99 wrote:It's truly worth the hassle of going to Seattle Center. I was really impressed- stuff really does look like it's floating off the screen into your lap! The footage wasn't exactly stuff I was expecting, there were some whacky critters I'd never heard of, like this California something something shrimp that's a total badass, as well as our very own Giant Pacific Octopus and Wolf eels. I'd be down to see it a second time, actually.
California Sea Cucumber? Yeah, totally badass, dude. :laughing3:
LOL good stuff!!!
Who run barter town?