Shutoff drill with a camera

General topics about technical diving.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Shutoff drill with a camera

Post by fnerg »

Like, how would you do them? Also, what would be the best way to deal with a camera along with all the other gear you need?

I usually dive with the camera lanyard-ed to my wrist, but that's really not going to work for tech.
boydski
Submariner

Re: Shutoff drill with a camera

Post by boydski »

fnerg wrote:Like, how would you do them? Also, what would be the best way to deal with a camera along with all the other gear you need?
My Camera/Housing is quite negative so I'll often clip the camera off while doing gas switches or drills (or just set it down on a wreck/rock). For deco, I usually clip the camera to the fwd crotch strp D-ring (scooter) and it hangs out of the way while switching gases.

If there is a lot of current, I'll sometimes clip it to the shot line at 20'. When cave diving, I often carry the camera rigged as a stage bottle since you have to swim so far.

There are a lot of different options, depending on what type of diving you're doing and how much gear you are carrying. Sometimes it is easiest just to hand the camera off to your buddy while you take care of some mis-behaving gear.

Good Luck,
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I keep my camera clipped to my left chest d-ring with one of those (yeah, I know) telephone cord lanyards. That way, if I need both hands, I can drop the thing. That said, I don't carry a camera on staged decompression or cave dives.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Drill or real deal?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Either one, since I'd conceivably have to deal with either situation.

The telephone lanyard seems like a good idea. I just have these horrible visions of being on a wall, fumbling the camera, and watching it go bye-bye.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

fnerg wrote: I just have these horrible visions of being on a wall, fumbling the camera, and watching it go bye-bye.
During a deco stop on the Al-ind-esk-a-sea I saw a very expensive looking light & motion video housing heading for the depths. It had been dropped by someone well above us on the line and they didn't even realize it until they surfaced and the camera was gone!

We grabbed the camera and clipped it off to the line once we got to 20'. I thought the owner was going to cry when we surfaced and pretended that we'd not seen his high $$ camera.... :angelblue:

If you do clip the camera off to the line or set it down on a wreck, leave a focus light (or strobe) on to help you locate it. I set a camera down once to move a fouled anchor and then couldn't find the camera for about 20 minutes due to the silt from moving the anchor. Those were 20 VERY tense minutes! :angry:
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Well I wouldn't do drills on a wall video/camera etc dive.
Otherwise set the camera down or ditch it, its not worth your life.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.