The return of SCUBA trivia!!!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Re: The return of SCUBA trivia!!!

Post by ktb »

citycatred wrote:
ktb wrote:Thank you Sonia!

And now, my question:
How many hyperbaric treatment centers are there in Washington State? (And yes, I'm including non-public ones.)
Alrighty then. I guess you got me back for saying the mola mola one was too easy. :tomnic:
Kelly
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:
citycatred wrote:
ktb wrote:Thank you Sonia!

And now, my question:
How many hyperbaric treatment centers are there in Washington State? (And yes, I'm including non-public ones.)
Alrighty then. I guess you got me back for saying the mola mola one was too easy. :tomnic:
:neener:
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

I guess I'll go with an interesting chemical oceanography question...

A study by UW researchers found that water released by sewage treatment plants had high levels of two "chemicals" right after thanksgiving and christmas. While these chemicals aren't harmful to human health, in fact they are quite tasty, it is still an interesting reminder of what goes in must come out. Can anyone guess what those two chemicals are?
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Thyme and Vanilla.

D
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

defied wrote:Thyme and Vanilla.

D
I'll give you that since Thyme spikes around Thanksgiving and Vanilla spikes during both Thanksgiving and Christmas. I would have also accepted Cinnamon instead of Thyme since it has a spike during both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

My professor Rick Keil has also found a spike of vanilla during the summer thanks to our habit of eating ice cream when the weather is warm =^.^=

Your turn Defied
Cynthia Heimel
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Since 2001, this location was discovered so far underwater it would have never been on the surface, but holds what has been debated to be uniquely shaped geology or an ancient city.

I am looking for two of three answers to be correct:
1) The nickname of the location.
2) It's general whereabouts.
3) The name of the discoverer.

D
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

defied wrote:Since 2001, this location was discovered so far underwater it would have never been on the surface, but holds what has been debated to be uniquely shaped geology or an ancient city.

I am looking for two of three answers to be correct:
1) The nickname of the location.
2) It's general whereabouts.
3) The name of the discoverer.

D
1) nickname? Atlantis...Mega....megalithic.....I couldn't find a nickname
2) Western tip of Cuba
3) Project director= Paulina Zelitsky
Cynthia Heimel
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

There you go. Back to you, sport.

Lost City of Cuba, is a nickname for it, fyi.

D
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Due to ocean acidification and global warming scientists have become concerned that phytoplankton population dynamics will change as these factors result in selection of "favored" species...within the Puget Sound it has been shown that harmful algal bloom (HAB) species are among the favored and are being seen at increasing concentrations during blooms.

There are 5 harmful algal bloom species that are currently being studied by NOAA, UW, and some private organizations. To get the question right list 3 of the 5 species....bonus bragging points if you can identify all five species.
Cynthia Heimel
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

citycatred wrote:Due to ocean acidification and global warming scientists have become concerned that phytoplankton population dynamics will change as these factors result in selection of "favored" species...within the Puget Sound it has been shown that harmful algal bloom (HAB) species are among the favored and are being seen at increasing concentrations during blooms.

There are 5 harmful algal bloom species that are currently being studied by NOAA, UW, and some private organizations. To get the question right list 3 of the 5 species....bonus bragging points if you can identify all five species.
Geez . . . are you studying marine biology in college or something?!? :tomnic:
Kelly
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:
citycatred wrote:Due to ocean acidification and global warming scientists have become concerned that phytoplankton population dynamics will change as these factors result in selection of "favored" species...within the Puget Sound it has been shown that harmful algal bloom (HAB) species are among the favored and are being seen at increasing concentrations during blooms.

Geez . . . are you studying marine biology in college or something?!? :tomnic:
Lol my last research position at NOAA was all about HABs =^.^= so I have just a tiny bit of knowledge about them....
Cynthia Heimel
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Lets see...

Ulva I think is one of them, the sea lettuce washing up and rotting causing eutrophication. Its LOOOOVES nitrogen (as Fauntleroy cove shows us again and again)

Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning via Dinoflag's

the other shellfish poisoning (Amnesiac?) from Diatoms.

I could dig up the sciency names but just rambling off top of head and not sure if they are what you are looking for :)
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ljjames wrote:Lets see...

Ulva I think is one of them, the sea lettuce washing up and rotting causing eutrophication. Its LOOOOVES nitrogen (as Fauntleroy cove shows us again and again)

I could dig up the sciency names but just rambling off top of head and not sure if they are what you are looking for :)
The last two guesses are good ones =^.^= Washington state deals with three types of shellfish poisoning:
*Amnesic Shellfish Poisoning/(Domoic Acid Poisoning) caused by a diatom
*Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning caused by a dinoflagellate
and
*Diarrhetic Shellfish Poisoning caused by another dinoflagellate

There is also Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning, however we don't generally see blooms of the dinoflagellate that produces the brevetoxin in the Puget Sound
Cynthia Heimel
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Ah, got it, so the ulvoid, although a concerning "bloom" by sciency types due to the toxins it produces when large mats of it decompose, is algae , not plankton.

citycatred wrote:

The last two guesses are good ones =^.^= Washington state deals with three types of shellfish poisoning:
and

There is also Neurotoxic Shellfish Poisoning, however we don't generally see blooms of the dinoflagellate that produces the brevetoxin in the Puget Sound
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Yeah...sciencey types have too many definitions that define multiple things >.< Ulva is considered a macroalgae, when ulva decomposes it produces hydrogen sulfide, methane, and other gases which can be harmful if there is a "bloom". Blooms of green macroalgae are usually called "Green tides". Compared to blooms of HABs which go by the more common name of "Red Tides".

ljjames wrote:Ah, got it, so the ulvoid, although a concerning "bloom" by sciency types due to the toxins it produces when large mats of it decompose, is algae , not plankton.

citycatred wrote:

and

Cynthia Heimel
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

Annnnnd here's a hint....I don't want this thread to die http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/hab/
Cynthia Heimel