Another new guy??!!

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
jokeborn
Frequent Bubbler

Another new guy??!!

Post by jokeborn »

Hello everyone, I am moving from Florida to the Portland area (I know, leaving the reefs for the ice, but work...). I will be in the area in mid May. I have just learned dry suit and am itching to try it out where I won't soak the inside with sweat. I have done most of my dives here in FL, West Palm Beach area (just drifting with the current, you know, lazy diving). I have also done quite a few springs and anchored dives. Did a cruise to the Bahamas last September (rough life) and dove on the Bond wrecks and the plane that was used in "Into the Blue". I am looking forward to the sites in the Northwest and will be hunting buddies to go down with. I do have a disease...I am willing to dive anytime of the year (even interested in ice diving). So far there is no known cure, so I have to deal with it. I have made it to divemaster rating with PADI. My wife also dives but she has been able to avoid the true sickness so far...working on infecting her. I am also an avid snow skier (been hitting the slopes since I was 4) and looking forward to not having to plan a vacation to see a mountain. Anxious to get wet Northwest style.
David.
"Those who dare cannot be called weak"
http://flickr.com/photos/7892717@N05/se ... 103784113/
girldiver
Compulsive Diver

Post by girldiver »

Well, if your wife didn't catch the sickness in Florida...we'll have to get her drysuited up...and it's a sure thing that she'll catch the fever here!

Welcome to the board...and welcome to the Northwest!!!
Cindy
http://www.scubashoppe.com -
Retail, Training, Travel and a Full Service Center: 130 Main Street, Auburn.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Not a whole lotta ice up here, but some great diving, for those willing to, uhhhh, adapt......to the environment! Welcome to the site!
jokeborn
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jokeborn »

I've done cold...one time, in Florida, I dove in 60 DEGREE water!! And another time, I wore a jacket topside cause it was chilly (about 65 degrees)!! lol
Seriously, I have lived in cold temps before and am looking forward to diving them. I learned drysuits here so I wouldn't have to put my addiction on hiatus or until I took a vacation. Plus my wife says I'm either partially insane or completly, it depends on which voice I am listening to in my head.
Burntchef
I've Got Gills

Post by Burntchef »

ola dave,

and welcome to the PNW, i was able to take a great week vacation in key largo doing some awesome diving there a year ago and have been wanting to go back ever since.
Chin high, puffed chest, we step right to it
The choice is there ain't no choice but to pursue it

"Diving the gas is the easy part, not much to it, plenty of retards are using it safely. " jamieZ
bnboly
Submariner

Post by bnboly »

You need to get hooked up with Sparky! AND..... how about a dive trip the end of June......
It's not broken - it's just missing duct tape!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

Here's where the comments come in like... "Gee, I thought 60 deg. diving was warm water diving" ... sorry, had to. #-o
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
jokeborn
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jokeborn »

Yea, that's what the couple from England said who were on the boat. My dive buddy here (who has no plans to go into anything under 70 degrees) said that when I come to visit that I'll be like everyone else now and say this water is too hot!!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Welcome to the Pacific Northwest and to NWDiveclub in particular! You've found IMHO a great bunch of folks and one of the best places to be for not only talking about diving up here, but actually doing it! \:D/

I hope you'll come to love cold water diving as much as we have come to. There is so much to do and dive up here, particularly in Puget Sound. The warmest dive I've ever done was a 62 degree dive at the Hood, where the surface was "bathtub" warm... I thought I was going to die with all the gear on and it was a pleasure to finally sink beneath the waves and cool off in the 55 degree depths. And, that is actually pretty warm... right now the temps are around 47 in the Sound and in the Winter (when diving is at it's best!) 43 & 44 are pretty much the standard... unless you happen to go by the mouth of a river then things get really interesting!

This board has a great mix of certifiable Dive Yoda's with a bazillion dives and excited newbies, and we dive all the time. It's a great place to be. Come on up and dive with us!

-Tom
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
jokeborn
Frequent Bubbler

Post by jokeborn »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm filling my tub with ice right now to get an idea (so far so good). I am really excited about the different clim and especially the new marine life/experiences I will have. Looking forward to getting wet with all of you.
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

I'll tag in and join the others in welcoming you soon to the PNW.

Cheers!

Dave
GillyWeed
Submariner

Post by GillyWeed »

Welcome Jokeborn..

From someone who dives wet in this 47 deg. water, let me just say that warmth is over-rated. It is way too cool diving in the Puget Sound to worry about such things as warm toes!

Anyway, hope to see you up here chillin (litterally) with the rest of us soon!

Cheers,

Holly
"Well I, I wont go down by myself, but I'll go down with my friends!"