Jorstad Creek & Octopus Hole, 10-11-2012

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Jorstad Creek & Octopus Hole, 10-11-2012

Post by Tom Nic »

Bassman and Bucknaked decided to forgo their usual Thursday bottle hunting expeditions and head for the Hood, so we crammed our gear in Buck's pick-up and took off for Jorstad.

It was a good decision.

It was a beautiful day to be out and about, and on and under the water! Even though we arrived pretty late in the afternoon the winds weren't too bad, and the water was beautiful! The forecast (since proven true) was looking ominous so we figured we better get some diving in before we have to go into our full Winter diving mode. Viz looked promising as we drove along 101, and other than a halocline from the creek things looked really good on the surface swim as well.

We dropped once we lost sight of the bottom from the surface, and as we moved quickly downslope it was very evident that we were in for some amazing conditions! Viz was a solid 40' plus, and the critters were out in force. We found abundant Copper Rockfish, the usual bazillion Blackeyed Gobies, and a few Golden Dironas to go with the thousands of Flabellina triophina.

The Flabellinas seemed to have moved down on the wall somewhat, and were deeper than the last time I dove here. Usually they are clustered around 40-50 fsw, but they were down to the 70-80 fsw range this time.

Poor Bassman... Every time he sees a "hillside" of Flabellinas he is like "Oh :angry: we are going to be here for a long time...". It is hazardous diving with a photog... :penelope:

We hit the bottom of the main wall at about 112 fsw and worked our way back up. We came to the top of the wall at about 50 - 60 fsw and found this guy tucked back in a crevice digesting a BUNCH of crab!

Above this lower wall is a barren stretch, then a shallow wall starts at about 30 fsw. Every dive I've done here in the past it has been clear deep and the then the top 40 fsw has been 5' or less viz with the hallacious algae blooms that were happening. This time we were fortunate enough to find the entire dive clear all the way up to the halocline! Buck was disappointed when the deep wall ended, then pleasantly surprised to find that there was a shallow wall as well - he had dove here before but had never seen it!

A fabulous 58 minutes later we surfaced to sunshine and laughter, very pleased with an excellent dive.

A few pics from the dive are here .

Time to head for Octopus Hole!!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: Jorstad Creek & Octopus Hole, 10-11-2012

Post by Tom Nic »

The last (and only) time I dove Octopus Hole there was a MAJOR algae bloom happening in the Hood, starting at about 15 fsw and then clearing up at about 45 fsw. No problem, right?! Wrong!! Octopus Hole is a L O N G wall, starting in about 15 - 20 fsw and going as deep as 45 fsw or so depending on the tide. We had done an entire 70 minute dive here, never reached the end of the wall, and dove in very crappy 5-8' viz the whole time. We had dropped deep once just because we could finally actually see something, but had found nothing but a barren slope. Sigh.

This time was different.

Encouraged by the good shallow viz at Jorstad we decided to hit Octopus Hole on the way back. And she did not disappoint!

So, you know how the one way to ensure that you will never see a particular critter again at a site is to name the dive site after it?! True in most cases, but happy to say that was not the case this day.

I swam right over this big ol' boy, and we would have missed him entirely except that Mr. Buck was slightly deeper and behind me and basically swam right face to face with him before he finally saw him! :eek:

We hung out with him for about ten minutes until we got tired of each other. I got some crappy quality but fun video of him that I will link to later. I threw it up on YouTube totally unedited.

66 minutes later we surfaced to a darkening sky, dreaming of pee valves, grateful for a fun dive!

Here's a few more shots - the rest are here . Thanks for reading!

"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Here it is in all its unedited glory....

[youtube]http://youtu.be/Ebyk1TlhPKA[/youtube]
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Nice write up! I've yet to dive either of those spots and they look like lots of fun!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Thanks Jeremy! They are well worth the trip.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

GREAT trip report! Love the photo with the light reflecting in the mask, and all the nudibranch pictures are wonderful. (I like Janoluses better than Flabellinas, to be honest with you :) ). I loved Jorsted Creek, the one time I dove it, and wish the access were a bit easier, but it's really the same with Octopus Hole, which I've done twice, but on neither dive could we see our fingers at the ends of our arms :)
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

LCF wrote:GREAT trip report! Love the photo with the light reflecting in the mask, and all the nudibranch pictures are wonderful. (I like Janoluses better than Flabellinas, to be honest with you :) ). I loved Jorsted Creek, the one time I dove it, and wish the access were a bit easier, but it's really the same with Octopus Hole, which I've done twice, but on neither dive could we see our fingers at the ends of our arms :)
Thanks Lynne - the access on these sites can be a bit of a challenge, but going slow, and perhaps with a bit of buddy assistance, they are more than doable.

I think I love the Janolus fuscus a little more as well, though it's kind of like picking your favorite kid. Matt was spotting these guys in the kelp every few feet and would call me over. I would swim right by and he would see them. They seem to have such diverse body types - it shows up even in the few pics I posted.

This really is a wonderful time of year to dive Hood Canal. (And of course just about anywhere in the Sound!) The kelp is dieing back and so you can see many of the critters that were well hidden at the height of summer, and which fortunately haven't yet headed off for wherever it is that life goes to hide in the Winter.

Before the rains hit heavy viz is good even in the shallows, and that is SO seldom in Hood Canal. You can always find good viz deeper, but so many of the sites have so much wonderful life in the top 20 fsw, and frankly the viz is often so poor that even I can't take it.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice shots Tom, I didn't see anything wrong with the octo video. It's very seldom that viz is good enough to get shots like that. Sund rock is one of those sites where if you lose the first 20' you have lost the best part of the site and it happens frequently.

I love the janolus too but I think the Goldens are one of the coolest ones out there and unfortunately one of the least frequently seen. Seems as though they only last a few days at a site then just disappear.
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

I love the pics of the nudies. They r one of my favorite creatures.that was epic dive.almost asgood as find :tomnic: ing old bottles.r u free moday for water front dive saw at least three different speices of nudies and a lump sucker on Friday on the water front :threadjacked: vis has been 20or better and that was with incoming tide
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Tom, you are doing such great job with your Point and Shoot camera, :notworthy:
And of course, your reports are great too.
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Who would have thought slugs would be so pretty. Thanks for posting the vid. I am going to link it tomy face book and post a couple of the pics that u took
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Here I was, thinking that a trip to the hood would be a good idea. Now, after reading your writeup and seeing your pics, I'm really jonesing to get back there. I really like the Janolus shots, Tom. Very nice!
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

I'm hoping to use the "family home" on the canal soon and have a small club dive. I'm still trying to work out the details.

I've always wanted to dive down there!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Emilyrc wrote:I'm hoping to use the "family home" on the canal soon and have a small club dive. I'm still trying to work out the details
Cool, what are the chances of including a Thursday?:supz:

It would be nice to have connections like thais Is the home near Hoodsport? :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Wow...been meaning to hit the canal up
Emilyrc
Dive-aholic

Post by Emilyrc »

It's within a reasonable driving distance.. pretty drive, too! The house is right on the beach, in a nook of the canal. The diving right there really sucks, because it is SHALLOW.

I'll have to make some solid plans and I will post about it.