vacation in Fort Lauderdale

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

vacation in Fort Lauderdale

Post by H20doctor »

well i left seattle wed night and caught the red eye to florida, getting no sleep on the plane ride over.. i boarded at 1130pm and arrived 6.5 hours later , Pensacola picked me up at 12 noon and we got back to his house and loaded up the gear for a 430 splash on the capt Dan wreck ... with debating on trying to take a power nap and skip diving , i fueled up on coffee and just bit the bullet.... we filled up on trox and with my PO set , i had a mod of 114... but my max depth was 96 feet during our 45 min dive .. i left my xscooter in washington due to chad having hooked me up with a Magnus .... with only 3 speeds , its a beast from beyond , massive torque , and lots of battery for diving ... vis today was very nice and blue... water temps in the 80's, and i got to pee in my wetsuit ..ahhhhhhh , The weather was sunny , and the air humid.. The highlight of the dive was a Big shark swimming off of the front Bow of the wreck, but as i soon learned , sharks are there , then they are gone.. so i didnt get to film him.. Im armed on this 7 day trip with both Hd rigs so i will post photos and videos here in this thread as it happens.. Here are some screen captures from today ...
chad.jpg
chris.jpg
chris anfd frank.jpg
chad and fish.jpg
chris and the wreck.jpg
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
coulterboy
Amphibian

Re: vacation in Fort Lauderdale

Post by coulterboy »

Nice report Chris. Looking forward seeing daily dive reports from your vacation.
When was the last time you did something for the first time?
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Looks awesome!! Hope you have a great rest of your trip!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Wow! looks great Chris! :partydance:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Here is the beast that will be Putting me on the reefs this week and the wrecks
scooter.JPG
Chad set me up with a stroke BPW set up
Image10.jpg
franks boat engines.jpg
Attachments
chad and franks gear.jpg
Image9.jpg
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Looks awesome man! Have a great time! :supz: :supz: :supz:
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
monk
Avid Diver

Post by monk »

Looks awesome! Can I ask what your favorite info website/resource is for Florida dive info?
A friend of mine in the A.F. is moving to Destin, FL, in ~6 mos. and I'm planning on flying down to dive with him. We are both newbs with ~20 dives.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Chris' favorite Florida diving resource is me. Haha.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

screen captures from today video
butterfly.jpg
chad going through a side Hatch
hatch hole.jpg
puffer.jpg
reef shot.JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Well Yesterday we hit the ocean and got 2 tanks in for some good times.. the first ank dive was on the wreck of the union express , it was once 152 feet long and 26 feet wide.. but what is left of this freighter is 2 sections , the bow and the stern
Image13.jpg
.. Hurricane Andrew did quite a good job on this wreck.. Laying in 110 feet of water... this artificial is resting on its side .. as we got down to the wreck the water was very clear and warm , my computer read 83 deg.. as i scootered over ,and around chad he waived me over and he shot some kind of fish, and then seemed to be searching for something..? looking into the cargo holds that are now collapsed and in the sand , looking and looking....well it turned out that there is a resident eel on the wreck who wasnt in his usual spots, so we gave up looking for the big green dude, turns out i later saw him swimming between the sections of the wreck... i didnt feel the nark on this dive until i hit a depth of 105 feet.. but the funny thing about diving in clear blue water, is the fact that 60 feet looks like 100 feet , and 100 feet looks like 150 ... its very different diving here because its so clear , and you dont feel like your at 80 feet , or 100 .... in puget sound you know when your getting past 75 feet because it gets dark and it gets dark quick.. not always but most of the time .. So i now get why people go too deep on cattle boats and dont pay attention to their air and depth... I saw some pretty amazing things today at 85 feet, and trust me i wanted to stay and film and stick around for as long as possible , but we all know how that goes..
After zipping around of the magnus 950 now for 3 days, i must say that im sold on Silent Submersion..

Today we did 3 tanks ,
IMG_0982.JPG
And today i was on the trigger , like ON it all the time, and my Xscooter after 2 dives being conservative with it would have had a dead battery after 2 dives, with me running it in low gear.. Now the 950 is insane.. on the third dive chad and i were chasing a Groupe , well chad was and he kicked it into Nitro which is 3rd speed.. I soon chased after Chad and fleeting fish to experience what was a High speed 2 min bullet ride.. and during the ride i had to cover the front of my reg to block the water cause i was free flowing because I was friggin blasting like a Lamborghini underwater.. Anyway what im trying to say is this..
the Magnus Scooter has not only power, but it has speed , and the battery life is incredible.. enuff said
Now onto my sunto computer , i have a Geko and today It , and its stupid algorythm said i had to do 14 mins of deco after my dive .... well gues what Chads shearwater gives divers credit for stepped depths on the way up.. I did the same profile as him.. My sunto does not give me a dang thing UNTIL i hit 20 feet or less, then it begins to count down the mins, So today when Chad gave me the all clear , i blew Off the sunto and its 11 mins of deco it said I had to do ... And Oboy its had a fit, beeping and Beeping on the deck of the boat for like 5 mins.. and now this is what it reads..
IMG_0984.JPG
ER.. ER.. ER.. ER.. gues who is Locked out for 24Hrs ? H20doctor!!! Me .. Man I should B in the chamber right now .. LOL
Disclaimer : NEVER BLOW OFF A DECO.. Never If you have a deco obligation, Do your full Deco, I am a well skilled diver, and I know what Im doing as an exp diver ... Never Blow off a deco .. Never )

So a great Day on the reefs here lots more Video , and salt water in my hair and eyeballs , moving gear, rinsing gear , and the good life of a diver on vacation..
Image14.jpg
Image16.jpg
Last edited by H20doctor on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

I think Chris locking up his gecko was an intentional act... Because tomorrow, he gets to dive my new petrel. I'll still be on the predator and happy about it.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

highres_170959672.jpeg
highres_170959612.jpeg
highres_170959402.jpeg
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

Keep the reports coming Chris. I'm enjoying every bit of it. Nice pics too. I still want to see a fish on the plate.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Enjoying the reports.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

H20doctor wrote:...I am a well skilled diver, and I know what Im doing as an exp diver ...
*twitch*
:nutty:

--all will be forgiven if you guys get a hogfish and send me some.
:)
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

mz53480 wrote:
H20doctor wrote:...I am a well skilled diver, and I know what Im doing as an exp diver ...
*twitch*

I saw a war hammer yesterday .. But I cant disclose intel on who dropped brown bombs in the blue
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

H20doctor wrote:
mz53480 wrote:
*twitch*

I saw a war hammer yesterday .. But I cant disclose intel on who dropped brown bombs in the blue
:huge: :huge:
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

...shouldn'ta clicked on this thread I guess.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

eliseaboo wrote:...shouldn'ta clicked on this thread I guess.
Lol.. :rofl:
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

My crab is better than yo lobster.
Suckaz...
Attachments
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

That may be so. But my lobster is easier to clean and cook. And it's in season damn near year round.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Lobster zilla
lobster zilla.JPG
losta lobsters.JPG
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Lobster tortalini
2012-10-21_19-00-55_58.jpg
nice and fresh
Last edited by H20doctor on Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Some video of Kracky being Kracky on the Union Express.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/DYU1DDw-8xk[/youtube]
coulterboy
Amphibian

Post by coulterboy »

H20doctor wrote:Lobster tortalini
2012-10-21_19-00-55_58.jpg
nice and fresh
I'm a believer now. Looks better than the lobster plate I ordered last Thursday at Red Lobster.