4-20 Club Dive, Pizza and Beer De-Brief

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

We missed having you but totally understand the rule of 3... or 6.

No, Bubbles didn't take the main stage or dance at the honeybear... she WILL have to make good on her claim someday though.

We'll hopefully catch you at Les Davis next month.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

Sounder wrote:Thursday? Thursday might work but I don't know if I'll be able to drive all the way to Les Davis that day... 3TN might work though. Let's chat.
Three Tree is not a good idea for a club dive if we are going to have a quantity of people present - not enough parking.

How 'bout partying at Angry Old Man's home? There is also Redondo with its large parking lot.

Rich
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

ooppss...

Started talking about a personal dive on the club dive thread...

3TN is definitely not a good place for a large group dive.

Les Davis and Redondo are the south end candidates. Redondo is great for parking, but not for BBQ'ing or hanging out afterwards. Les Davis is great for the later...
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tom Nic wrote:ooppss...

Started talking about a personal dive on the club dive thread...

3TN is definitely not a good place for a large group dive.

Les Davis and Redondo are the south end candidates. Redondo is great for parking, but not for BBQ'ing or hanging out afterwards. Les Davis is great for the later...
When I organized shop dives for NWSD (back in the day) we had two very successful group events at Redondo. You just have to pick a day when the tide's not too high, and go in the afternoon when you won't be sharing the north beach with classes. We set up a couple of pop-up canopies on the beach and had a cookout with about 25-30 people. It was great!

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
BbbleMkr
Aquaphile

Post by BbbleMkr »

Hey GillyWeed--if I had thought it would have cheered you, I would have done my "gitdownandgetfunky" Honey Bear dance, but we would have to agree on no cameras or video.

If your friends/buddy bails, you're always welcome with me/us, but I completely understand not diving. (One of the great attractions of diving for me is that I feel I could back out at any time and no-one would give me too much flak. I've called a dive because I felt "snippy". )

Les Davies would be great. Diver C and I dove it last time and completely missed the desk, the chair, the computer and all of the slabs. I think we saw tiny seapens and sand/dirt. Lots and lots of sand/dirt...... Seeing what I'm supposed to would be phenomenal.

We're talking about May? Would that be another Friday night dive (which would be tricky for us Northerners slugging through I5 traffic, but I'm just noting, not complaining) or are we thinking a BBQ and dive on a Saturday or Sunday?

dd
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I wouldn't recommend Les Davis on a Friday night ... the gang bangers pretty much take over the parking lot. Last time I did that I was genuinely concerned for my safety.

Let's plan to do a Saturday or Sunday ... afternoon would be better, as it would give classes a chance to clear out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Grateful Diver wrote:I wouldn't recommend Les Davis on a Friday night ... the gang bangers pretty much take over the parking lot. Last time I did that I was genuinely concerned for my safety.

Let's plan to do a Saturday or Sunday ... afternoon would be better, as it would give classes a chance to clear out ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Well... I could happily provide "surface support" on a friday night. :laughing3:

I think that if we're doing it somewhere besides central, that it should probably a weekend event with traffic issues, though Friday traffic is usually fine in either direction.

Another thought I had was to get an evening permit for Edmonds one night when the tides are nice. That'd be a great place for a BBQ too!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Oh, an evening event at Edmonds would be lovely. They have picnic tables there, and the diving, for my money, is better than Les Davis.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

An evening at Edmonds would indeed be lovely ... except that it sometimes takes about 2 hours of stressful traffic to get there from where I live ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Traffic on a Saturday afternoon? I think Friday nights will have to be central, but Saturdays would work for most everyone.

So looking at the weekend tides for Edmonds in May, the smallest current based on their tidal station recommendation the lowest is above 1 knot. Last time I was there, I was headed for Kingston in some freak current while Diver C was taking a picture!

I'd need some current advice if we planned something there, but I too think an evening/night diving permit would be great.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Saturday would work ... in fact, I'd probably want to get there early and make a day of it. At Edmonds I might be able to get 3 or 4 dives out of a set of double 100's. In May, the 12th or 26th would work. If it's the 12th I can't make it anyway ... already signed up with NWSD's boat dive in the San Juans that day ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Last edited by Grateful Diver on Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Sunday afternoons is doable as well
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Actually, Saturday, May 26th has very good afternoon tides and currents for Edmonds.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Hmmm.... Saturday the 26th eh? GD - you wouldn't dust off the single rig even for Edmonds?!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Sounder wrote:Hmmm.... Saturday the 26th eh? GD - you wouldn't dust off the single rig even for Edmonds?!
Perhaps ... if someone else isn't using it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Diver_C
Amphibian

Post by Diver_C »

If this talk of May 26th is for next month's Dive/Pizza/Beer Party, I will be passing. I will be doing GUE's Fundies class that weekend. Another thing to think about is that weekend is Memorial Day Weekend. If the weather is nice, everywhere will be packed. As we get into summer, I realize it will be difficult to schedule this DPBP around everyone's schedule. In fact, I will probably be missing one or more due to boat racing; that's life. Too bad some other, earlier weekend can't be chosen. Good luck Doug with scheduling.

Rich

P.S. Thanks Doug for working on the last one.
divernick
Aquaphile

Post by divernick »

If this were to happen on a sat/sun afternoon, some of us Portland folks might be able to join you guys. I know I'd love to come, but getting north on a friday, after work, just won't happen.

Nick
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Hm...I was really sad to miss this last one, but if the next one is on the 26th, I'll have to miss that one, too. I'd be sad about missing again, but I'm heading to Cocoview. Warm water.....great viz....nope, not sad at all! \:D/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Yeah, I'll have to look at the calendar. May is typically a crazy month so I'm sure we'll figure out a time/place. Worst case we'll throw it back to Cove 2 and do it again. We can BBQ in the parking lot there!
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

I would second the Saturday or Sunday. A dive sometime in the morning with an afternoon of BBQ and beer would be awesome especially if we were alotted some beautiful weather. :supz:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Consider the 12th ... I won't be able to make it, but seems like it might be a better choice for the majority.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

Yep, I can't make the 12th either (teaching the DEMP class) but have fun.

-Valerie
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Grateful Diver wrote:Consider the 12th ... I won't be able to make it, but seems like it might be a better choice for the majority.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Bob, you are a dive machine, how about dinner at Edmonds on the way back from the Deep Sea charter? I'd be down with a sunset/night dive there on the way home, although it may mean my single rig gets broken out . . .
Sergeant Pepper
Perma Narc'd

Post by Sergeant Pepper »

We should have people vote for days in May... Doug, start a "voter" thread. :partyman:
I don't mind losing, but I do mind sucking!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Another Office photo show ... this one from Tuesday night with Scott Lundy ...

http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/JI5Rd3pV

Found a cute little Cockerell's dorid ... maybe 1/2" long ... and a very cooperative grunt sculpin ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)