Several puzzlers from Keystone yesterday

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
LCF
I've Got Gills

Several puzzlers from Keystone yesterday

Post by LCF »

Our decision to brave the forecast winds (and the rough water, when we got there) was rewarded by very few good photographs on my part yesterday. But we found a lot of critters, including several that puzzle me:

Greenmark hermit, or Bering? It has the Lamb book criteria for a Greenmark.

Every time I see those ostrich-plume hydroids, they have the bright orange spots. Blowing this photo up, the orange things look like grubs of some kind. Does anyone know what they are?

This sponge was HUGE -- maybe 2 1/2 or 3 feet across. I couldn't find anything like it in Lamb's book.

I have no idea what this was -- I don't even know where to start looking. It was about twelve inches or so in length, wrapped around this kelp stalk, and I didn't see anything like it on any of the rest of the kelp.

Two comments on the dive -- one was that I read a piece in the NWDN on greenlings, that said they weren't skittish, but actually curious, and would come to see what you were if you held still. It sure worked yesterday -- I got the best female kelp greenling photos I've ever gotten!

Second, I remembered what Jan recently said about the small sculpins, so I spent some time watching some of them. They do appear to feed almost constantly!

So much fun to keep learning about the animals we see . . .
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Re: Several puzzlers from Keystone yesterday

Post by fnerg »

The last one sorta looks like a gumboot chiton, though I don't know if they can wrap around things like that. Two gumboots?
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

Yes, it's just one gumboot wrapped around a piece of kelp.
The hermit is a greenmark hermit, Pagurus caurinus (no idea why they gave it that common name)
I'm guessing your 'sponge' is actually a compound tunicate, maybe Cystodytes lobatus
Suspect the blobs on the hydroid are reproductive structures...
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Does anyone know if the hydroids in this area are ever of the stinging type? Not that we'd know through all the gear...
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Thanks, everybody! I had no idea gumboot chitons were that flexible -- it was actually one of the things I thought of, but I thought they had enough of a shell that they couldn't wrap like that.

Greg, thanks for the ID on the "sponge". I would never have thought of going and looking for it in the tunicates. It is an enormous colony!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

lavachickie wrote:Does anyone know if the hydroids in this area are ever of the stinging type? Not that we'd know through all the gear...
They are all capable of stinging, but their nematocysts don't have enough ummph to get through your skin. You might feel them if you put them on your tongue or other sensitive parts, but we won't go there :penelope: