On a Lumpier Note ...

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

On a Lumpier Note ...

Post by Grateful Diver »

Jabberjaw and I hit the Redondo north beach eelgrass beds very early this morning ... around 5:30 ... to check out this year's lumpsucker crop. We were rewarded with more lumpies than we could possibly take pictures of. In addition, there are hundreds upon hundreds of hooded nudies in the eelgrass as well. 73 minute dive, max depth 19 feet ... and below the halocline ... at about 10 feet ... the vis cleared up nicely. It was an awesome dive.

And now ... the good stuff ...

... .and some hooded nudies making babies ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Re: On a Lumpier Note ...

Post by Linedog »

Nice shots as always!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Wow, thanks for the great shots! A night dive in that spot last year was the hilight of my dive year, really, I love the little lumpies. Hella bottom times available at 10-20 ft! But the low activity, relaxing dive and long bottom time meant hypthermia ended the dive at 70 minutes, not gas management! We were there when it was a little later/much colder. Glad to see they are back!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Love those little bumblebees!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

Nothing like having Redondo all to yourself. However getting up at 4am is not as easy as it used to be. But well worth it. Yes the Lumpies did not disappoint this morning. Bob is a hell of a spotter. Here are some of the pics I took this morning. I'm still trying to figure my camera out. Here are a few shots from this morning. Thanks Bob for the great dive.

Most of the Lumpies are very very tiny
Got Water?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Nice pics Bob!!

Lynne and I helped a buddy wit an OW class today and this student saw a Grunt Sculpin AND a lumpie on his FIRST ever dive!

very very lucky to see both of those in a 20min dive at 30t in Cove 1 !

they are super cute critters!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

AWESOME shots from both. This past Thursday night dives we seen a very small dog fish and I have no idea how I seen this very small octo. I think it was about 1 inch long maybe. You can ask matt (bucknaked) as he was my buddy and saw it also.
Jeff Castor
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

It was tiny I was suprised you spoted it
Jabberjaw
Dive-aholic

Post by Jabberjaw »

I wasn't the one who spotted the tiny one. I think Bob has special Lumpie vision. I only spotted one myself. the rest Bob had found.
Got Water?
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I think he subtly speaks their language, that's why they always come out for him!
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com