integrated weights for BP/Wing singles setup

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

integrated weights for BP/Wing singles setup

Post by thefeve »

Hey all,

So still being a newbie here with about 15 dives, had a question for those with running a singles setup with a BP/W: do any of you use an integrated weight belt system? I've got a seasoft weight belt with a lead added for my current belt, plus some added weight on the tank band, and it does the job fine. however, it seems like it would sure be nice to just have one belt around the waist with the weight integrated to the BC but still be ditchable. See here:

http://www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/dr_bpw.shtml

Anyway - thoughts? pros/cons? this is really just a comfort thing, I don't have any big issues either way, but more looking for the opinion from those that have tried out the systems mainly curious as to if its really worth 100-150$ to have it there.

thanks for the thoughts!

feve
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: integrated weights for BP/Wing singles setup

Post by CaptnJack »

How much lead do you need?

Around here, pockets added onto a BP/W are frequently too heavy and floppy to dive nice. The larger DR ones on that page require the little triangular plate where the straps join - the Transpac and Transplate have that part in common. They won't work right on a one-piece harness. Halycon makes pockets which will work on a one-peice harness and they don't seem too floppy. But alas their capacity is only 10lbs (combined) and that's not going to work around here. http://www.extreme-exposure.com/node/111
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

My current belt has 21 pounds on it, and i have about 8 on my tank bands. I'm good with the tank bands for sure - but was thinkin it'd be nice to not have the weight belt under the harness... but maybe thats just asking too much:)

Currently diving a 7mm farmer john wetsuit, so when i go to a drysuit eventually maybe i'll need a little less weight...
I think you've figured out the root cause of your problems. Even sea lions get annoyed by splitfin divers silting out their dive sites. Switch back to your jets and you'll be safe from the sea lion silt prevention patrol from now on. - NWbrewer
Magoi
Dive-aholic

Post by Magoi »

I got a BP/W setup this spring. I use a OMS Comfort harness and the small Dive Rite weight pockets. I use 14 lb in the pockets and a Seasoft 12 lb belt. I think this setup works well with my drysuit. For warm water, only use the DR pockets, but I do not like the way they work with hard weights - the hard weights move around in the pockets. I added a standard weight belt stop on each side to the pockets to keep them from moving on the belt. Oxycheq also makes some weight pockets to consider.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the situation.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

With regards to weight distribution... For single tank dives i use a backplate and wing (Halcyon Infinity) with short plate (#5), weighted Single Tank Adaptor AKA STA (~8#) and the ACB10 pockets that Richard mentions (~10#)... Old Skool HP102 or HP80. No weight belt, they kill my lower back :(

When I set my brother up in essentially same kit I put another 5# in trim pocket on his lower cam strap which gets to about the same you are using but with no weight belt.

If you are in wetsuit, due to compression at depth, as you have already noted, its generally recommended to maintain some easily ditch-able lead (10lbs or so?). I am not sure I would consider the ACB10 "easily ditch-able" more like "ditch-able but you have a moment to think about it" but that is by design and goes into the whole diving a balanced rig discussion.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Maybe you should learn how to dive the drysuit you have hanging in the garage.... :smt064

Just get two of these - WB101QR - http://www.xsscuba.com/weight_belts.html and slide them onto your harness up against the plate. Simple, effective, and compact. Then put 5lbs in each pocket, 10lbs of hard weight on a belt, and you're there. In the even of wing failure you can ditch, 5lbs or 10lbs at depth (1 pocket or 2) and then ditch the 10lb weight belt at the surface if you really need to.

Ditch the 20lb seasoft weight belt. That much weight all in one spot with a single point of failure holding it on makes me nervous.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

or go to a DUI Weight and trim, and keep weights and BP separate. Makes donning doffing much easier in my opinion, and much much easier on my lower back.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
SSpiffyDiver
Avid Diver

Post by SSpiffyDiver »

I use a DUI Weight and Trim for ditchable 12# and use a set of backplate pockets for the rest of the weight.

http://golemgear.com/p-572-trespres-bac ... ocket.aspx
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Jeff Pack wrote:or go to a DUI Weight and trim, and keep weights and BP separate. Makes donning doffing much easier in my opinion, and much much easier on my lower back.
+1

I just went through this too and love the DUI weight and trim.
Clay
Avid Diver

Post by Clay »

thefeve wrote:My current belt has 21 pounds on it, and i have about 8 on my tank bands. I'm good with the tank bands for sure - but was thinkin it'd be nice to not have the weight belt under the harness... but maybe thats just asking too much:)

Currently diving a 7mm farmer john wetsuit, so when i go to a drysuit eventually maybe i'll need a little less weight...
I suspect you're probably still heavy, I would try trimming weights down and then look into pockets or dui harnesses and such. As you get more comfy with diving you don't need as much. Steel tanks make a difference too if you're diving aluminum.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

I dive a wetsuit and steel 100's single tanks in my current setup.

I use the Halcyon steel backplate and the extra weight that comes in the single tank adapter. Beyond this I wear 3 pounds on my left and right hip on the belt and another two pouches of three pounds each on the top cam band around my tank. Do that's 12 pounds of soft lead that I wear in addition to the Bp/w.

It's really been great!
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on what Jeremy said.

halcyon steel BP - 6lb
weighted sta - 6lb
10lb in halcyon pockets on the webbing (if you configure them right, the are not floppy at all for me)

and about 2-4lb on pouches on upper cam strap. depending on garment.

works like a champ and I have 10lb to dump I I have to.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

http://www.seasoftscuba.com/pockets/qui ... ocket.html

These have proven to be a great pocket. They hold enough weight and they'll last a VERY VERY long time. They are not floppy, though in truth I've never had that problem with the halcyon acb's. The Halcyons just don't hold enough weight and they fall apart way too easy, I've replaced every single set of inserts We've ever sold. While Halcyon is quick to take care of them (incredible customer service) it's tiring doing so. We now recommend just changing over to the Seasofts.... they're beautifully done. Ya just gotta mod them by adding a D-ring on the left side, though Bruce is trying to come up with a stock pocket with a D-ring on that left side... we've just not seen it yet.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I think it is desirable to avoid placing all your wight on you BC I want to reiterate the advice to consider a modestly sized weight belt. A 8-12 lbs. on a webbing belt isn't that big of a deal compared to a larger belt with 25lbs or more. If you have this amount on a belt you probably won't be overloading whatever pocket system you adopt for mounting on a BP/W or integrated weights on a jacket BC.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwcid
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Nwcid »

I didnt like the way the DUI was set up or where it positioned on my body. With that being said I made my own harness and pockets exactly how I wanted them.

I have 12lbs of weight in the belt, 6lb on each side. I then have 2 pouches on my lower tank band that have 5lb each on them. This set up has worked very well for me.
John

Check out my site, http://scubadivesites.webs.com/
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Waynne Fowler wrote:http://www.seasoftscuba.com/pockets/qui ... ocket.html

Ya just gotta mod them by adding a D-ring on the left side,...
Care to elaborate/share how you've done this? I've used the Seasoft quickditch pockets for a few years - first as they were integrated in my Seasoft Pro BCD, and now I use the Seawolf weight harness with a BP/W. I've thought about using them directly on my BP/W, but was concerned about lack of webbing "real estate", and losing easy access to the left d-ring.
thefeve
Compulsive Diver

Post by thefeve »

Guess i should have followed up with the final setup. I'm now running the XS scuba weight pockets on the waist strap, with pockets on both cam bands. Recently switched to a trilam Drysuit so my weight req't dropped dramatically. I now use 4.5 lbs in each hip pocket, and 2 lower cam bands, and 2 pounds in each upper cam band. All this with a steel DSS BP and STA. Friday I used 4's in two pockets, then did a weight check and ditched 2 at the end and still felt alright, so I think I might switch out to 2 x 4.5, 2 x3, and 2 x 2, with the 4.5's in the ditchable pockets. So far its been great, just takes a little getting used to clipping off the SPG on the left hip as the D-ring has a tendency to lay flat against the weight pocket. By the end of the dive though it was getting easier. So far so good!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

mpenders wrote:
Waynne Fowler wrote:http://www.seasoftscuba.com/pockets/qui ... ocket.html

Ya just gotta mod them by adding a D-ring on the left side,...
Care to elaborate/share how you've done this? I've used the Seasoft quickditch pockets for a few years - first as they were integrated in my Seasoft Pro BCD, and now I use the Seawolf weight harness with a BP/W. I've thought about using them directly on my BP/W, but was concerned about lack of webbing "real estate", and losing easy access to the left d-ring.
I feel ya about the whole "lack of real estate" my friend!!! I got the waist of a 12 year old (28") and it's a chore for me to get the right config to let me put the light and knife on my waist.
I don't have access to any pix at the moment. essentially we took a piece of webbing approx 4-5" long and put two grommeted holes in it that line up with the grommeted holes in the pockets top edge. (behind the knife in the link pix). We had to make sure we installed a triglide and D-ring prior to putting the grommets in the webbing or its a bugger to get on. we then attached the webbing via SS bolts like the Halcyon uses for it back pad/storage pack.

I hope that makes some sense... if not let me know and I'll post a pix later this week.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Waynne Fowler wrote:
I hope that makes some sense... if not let me know and I'll post a pix later this week.
Yep, got it. Thanks!

Mike
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

kdupreez wrote:+1 on what Jeremy said.

halcyon steel BP - 6lb
weighted sta - 6lb
10lb in halcyon pockets on the webbing (if you configure them right, the are not floppy at all for me)

I hope this isn't a hijack but what percentage or how much of your lead are you comfortable having non ditchable? I am just diving a Seaquest BCD and have moved about 10 lbs to a weight belt held up with suspenders. I like it and would like to put more on the belt but I can't easily dump it. I suppose worst case is my suit floods and my bcd won't inflate. I'm not going to test that to see if I am negative with the non ditchable belt.

Brian
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Desert Diver wrote:
kdupreez wrote:+1 on what Jeremy said.

halcyon steel BP - 6lb
weighted sta - 6lb

I hope this isn't a hijack but what percentage or how much of your lead are you comfortable having non ditchable? I am just diving a Seaquest BCD and have moved about 10 lbs to a weight belt held up with suspenders. I like it and would like to put more on the belt but I can't easily dump it. I suppose worst case is my suit floods and my bcd won't inflate. I'm not going to test that to see if I am negative with the non ditchable belt.

Brian
Hi Brian,

I currently can ditch about 6 pounds but I don't really ever plan to. I was recently at Cove 2 at the I-beams and simulated a wing failure at 100 fsw. After my initial face plant I was able to swim my rig up without too much difficulty. My criteria for weighting is that I need to be able to swim up my rig and a full tank from 100 fsw without ditching weight and I need enough weight to be able to hold a stop at 5 feet with a near empty tank.

For me that works out to be 12 pounds of lead in addition to my steel Bp/w and sta. Now I could ditch an additional 6 pounds if I needed too, but my preference is to be weighted such that I would never need to ditch, and certainly not ditch while at depth and face an uncontrolled ascent.

Now that's without a drysuit. Since you have a drysuit, you have redundant buoyancy. If both your wing and drysuit fail...it's sort of not your day.